Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Lower back pain
  • smartay

Whilst riding on Friday hurt my lower back. Standing up pedalling up hill bike jump out of gear dumping me and especial my "tail" onto the leading edge/point of the saddle. Initial impact hurt but carried on riding for further two hours.

Not wanting be called awuss, the pain is getting no better, unable to sit for long and getting up a real "pain"

Any experience, how long will it last, should I seek medical advice?

PS typing this whilst kneeling with lap top on sofa!!!

timraven

If it's locking like that, I tend to go to the osteopath, then up the Pilates regime to keep it that way.

Back pain is cr#p, so hope it gets better soon

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

You may have sprained your coccyx. Have a look here for more info http://www.painclinic.org/jointpain-coccyx.htm. Give it a week or so and it'll be fine. Bloody sore one though.

uponthedowns
    Free Member

Read this and look at the video. I've experienced back pain so please don't be offended at my comments. I'm afraid you're going to have to MTFU and tough it out. Its only been three days. If you had sprained an ankle you would expect it to still be hurting so why shouldn't your back? Just try to keep moving as best you can and it will slowly get better. Don't worry about making it worse the pain will self limit you. It might take a week or two though. Visit the quack and get some industrial strength paracetamol or co-codamol. The doc might also give you anti-inflammatory. In my experience they are useless but give them a try they might work for you. Trouble with backs is they are not easy to rest as you use your back muscles even when lying in bed.

When its well on the mend try some gentle yoga positions like alternating between pose of a cow and pose of a cat and also pose of a child is good for gently stretching out your lower back.

BillMC

FWIW I've had neck/back issues for about 7 months. I've spent a king's ransom on osteopathy, chiropracter, MRI scan and acupuncture. I was also prescriced anti-inflammatories and pain killers, which did my head and my body in. What's really worked has been regular sessions with a physiotherapist. You need to be referred by your GP (mine was quite disparaging about the effectiveness of physios and has beenn proven completely wrong in my case.) Try everything and things can and do improve.

Naranjada
    Free Member

+1 for BillMC's post.

I've suffered with periodical, chronic lower back pain for 20+ years so feel qualified to comment. Chiropractors on the whole are a waste of money, osteopaths are much better, but a decent physio will usually sort you out. What a physio understands is that the 'recovery' exercise must be gentle and gradual. Most chiropractors just want to 'crack' your back and pronounce you well; on the other hand I have a friend who throws the hammer for England and he swears by his chiropractor …horses for courses I guess.

Anyway, you've got an acute injury so should treat with pills while it mends, but whatever you do DO NOT lie around on the floor or in bed as you will simply make it worse. Keep the injured area warm, keep moving and listen to your body.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Ok, I'll put it a different way – you have sprained your coccyx. You did it when you clattered it on the point of the saddle.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Obi – you cannot possiby give a diagnosis as firmly as that over the net. Its one posibility but ther eare others,

OP – go to your GP for an diagnosis

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Lower back pain’ is closed to new replies.