Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Low level walks NW Lakes
  • rascal
    Free Member

Staying in Braithwaite Fri…want to get Mrs Rascal out for a walk for a few hours.
    Done Catbells, Castle Crag and walked around Buttermere on previous visits…any goodies I’ve missed?
    Preferably walkable from Braithwaite itself as it’s BH Fri in the Lakes and cars will be everywhere, though would drive not too far if it was worth it.
    Was thinking as bimbling up to Force Crag mine at the head of Coledale…

brocks
    Free Member

Up grizedale pike drop down into whinnlatter forest hit the cafe then trundle down back to pub in braithwaite nice walk

rascal
    Free Member

Not done any walking around Coledale/Grasmoor area and I intend to rectify that soon but nothing too lofty this weekend. Thanks for the Grisedale Pike suggestion but at 791m it’s hardly low level 😉

TomB

FP through scotgate campsite to little braithwaite, along river to stair, up to skelgill and south along bridleway to little town. (Cafe at farm). South along valley, over bridge and return via low snab/gill brow and Newlands road. Alternatively, up over Barrow summit to Barrow door(or direct to barrow door), down stony croft, Rowling end farm, skelgill, pint at swinside inn, back along river to little braithwaite and on to braithwaite.

TomB, (Portinscale resident)

rascal
    Free Member

Cheers Tom – will consult the OS map tomorrow 🙂

boxelder

Drive over Whinlatter or Newlands (away from the crowds) and park at Scale Hill
    Head through the woods to the lake, around along the west shore of Crummock as far as suits, then back around the BW round the north of Mellbreak and down to the Kirkstile Inn. Try to leave the pub and fail.
    Stagger back downhill to the car.

martinhutch

Coledale round/horseshoe if that’s not too far – lovely walk.

If not, you could just go to Causey Pike via Barrow Door.

TomB

Did boxelder’s suggestion the other day, but anticlockwise. Great suggestion. Couldn’t leave the kirkstile.

tiggs121
    Free Member

Walk round Derwent Water.

Go anti clockwise – cafe at Grange or the farm at Shepherds Crag – beer in Keswick and either walk or bus back to Braithwaite.

ianfitz
    Free Member

Or check out the small hills by St. John’s in the vale. They are hills but tiny by comparison to Lakeland fells. Park at legburthwaite walk north over them to the church at NY 307225 then back round the bridleway to the east.

There’s only about 80-100m height difference and you get a different view of blencathra, the foods and down to helvelyn.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Boxelder +1

B Hol crowds generally don’t get that far.

rascal
    Free Member

Did the Force Crag Mine walk in the end…in the p*ssing rain!
    Got to the Lakes early so thought we’d just do it…little did we know Sat, Sun and today would be so glorious.
    Got occasional glimpses of Grisedale Pike and the upper reaches of Coledale…enough to make me want to get up there again in the summer…maybe with the bike too 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Low level walks NW Lakes’ is closed to new replies.