Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Lordswood – How safe is it?
  • poppa
    Free Member

I gather some people here are familiar with Lordswood, Southampton. I have been up there a few times and enjoyed myself quite a bit, but I have heard stories of people being mugged for their bikes. Because of this, I tend to go early mornings when the only people around are angry dog-walkers. I would prefer to go riding later in the day though (not a morning person!) so I was just wondering, all you Lordswood vets, is there any time you are more/less likely to run into dodgy people? I would quite fancy popping up in my lunch break during the week every now and then, for example.

Thanks!

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Depends if you risk riding WCAs dodgy ‘Shore sections. They really are not safe, IMO

😉

Wookster

We ride there most friday evenings and apart fom dog walkers and other bikers (inc BMXers) only seen a small gruop 5-6 younger kids once in two years of going there its far from Beirut but its rough over towards the hospital. Saw about the mugging sounds a bit of a Opportunist thing really?? My mate goes on his own during the day…but not sure if I would ride at night on my own TBH. I tend to go to QE on my tod.

thomthumb
    Free Member

there uused to be a lot of muggings circa 10 years ago (according to some local friends), but bar the one incident last year (there were no more were there?) I’ve not heard about anything in the last few years

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

I ride there all the time, day and night, week days and weekends, whenever I can be bother really. There was one bloke who had his bike nicked. There are normally a few chavs on mopeds at one crossroads but they are harmless if you say hello.

I think the biggest risk is meeting me and riding my shony-shore. The last bloke I met rode with me twice and smashed hi rear brake on each ride and snapped his frame on the second ride.

I will probably be up there on Sunday morning if you want me to show you around?

email address on http://www.bigbikebash.co.uk/ on Contact Me

poppa
    Free Member

Sounds good but i’m not sure what my weekend schedule is yet 😕 . I have got a map of lordswood, with many of the trails marked, so I think I have visited a fair bit of it. Would be nice if there were some easy/small jumps to have a go on, as i’ve never really jumped before, but they seem quite intimidating so far! Is your shore the stuff near the bombhole? After reading this I think lunchtime sessions at Lordswood every now and then may be a nice break…

DezB
    Free Member

the biggest risk is meeting me and riding my shony-shore

Yeah, now Juan’s not around to persuade people to go off the big jumps. 😮
    I’d rather break my bike than my face..

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Poppa – my really shonkyshore is the roller coaster which is on the hill nearer the sports centre entrance although I have also built the stuff behind the bomb hole and over the road from that too.

Best small jumps are in the Wonderland Pump track, just down the hill from the bomb hole on the right or the jump site near the kennels.

njee20
    Free Member

A friend of mine was mugged for his (formerly my!) Titus Racer-X in Lordswood in the last year or 2, dunno if that’s the one you’re talking about, sounds like a lovely place!

thomthumb
    Free Member

well safe bruv, innit

njee20; that’s the only one that’s happened as far as i know.

Lummox

Anyone be kind enough to knock up a quick map of the trails in lordswood, stopped going there after the forestry commision went to work a few years ago creating a mud pit.

Al

poppa
    Free Member

Haha, even those jumps look big to me! Ok, will keep a lookout for your shore though. I do have a map, but only a paper copy. My electronic original died with my computer recently, but I will work on sorting out a new one.

clump
    Free Member

lummox, it dried out for about one whole day since then. FC back to their old tricks at the moment, it is a bit moist at the moment, and very claggy.
    Best ridden when frozen.

Lummox

so best ridden mid summer given our crappy weather at the moment, thanks clump i’ll have a poke around on a cold day. FC really know how to chew up tracks.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Lordswood – How safe is it?’ is closed to new replies.