Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Longer Top Tube, Forward Geometry etc – any converts?
  • groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Hey folks

Just having a look at new bikes/frames on the market and the various geometry options on them. Has anyone made the switch to a longer top tube than they have traditionally run or tried the Mondraker forward geometry? Even just a test ride?

Wondered how it has helped / affected your riding? How much longer did you go?

Cheers
    Will

Northwind

It’s not a Mondraker but I do have a bloody big medium bike with more ett than you’d find on most larges… still downsizing stems, 40mm is more right than 50mm was, 35mm on the way… Don’t think I’ll go down to original FG sizing, I don’t care how good it is, it’s too hideous.

q) why not do it with bar shape? a) because you need a simple “10mm stem” message for marketing reasons

And yeah, it basically seems to work. It does feel pretty different, my corner placement is all to bollocks, but not in a bad way- I think it’ll be better, once I’m used to it.

deanfbm
    Free Member

Just picked up a kona process 153 purposefully went large with the 460mm reach when im 5ft10.

Early days, but feels positive. I can chuck it around and jump it, it’s still playful. Had a few moments on steeper rough stuff where stuff felt a lot easier, i couldn’t put my finger on what it was though, early days.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Northwind – is that a BMC Trailfox by any chance you’re talking about? I love the look of those….

Are you not feeling too stretched out at all guys? TBH that is my main worry.

trail_rat
    Free Member

Its not exactly new , its just a different way of doing it.

Gary fisher have been doing it for years – not sure what their marketing buzzword is – but it works .

Likewise with brants bikes. Ive got too- both long top tubes for their size and short stems

kudos100
    Free Member

I don’t ride a Mondraker, but have a Bird Aeris, which has similar geometry.

I went from a Large Stumpjumper to an XL Aeris.

Taking into account the stem length difference 60mm vs 35mm, the Aeris is still longer in the TT and reach.

So far it’s been great. Took a bit of getting used to as the bike is so much longer, but I love the geometry. Corners really well, ploughs through rough stuff, jumps brilliantly for how long it is.

I’ve had to adjust my riding style a bit, but I’m a fan of the longer reach, shorter stem concept. I think Mondraker take it too far and their bikes are probably the only bike available that I would size down on, as they are so long in terms of reach.

For a number of years I think i’ve been riding bikes that are a bit too small, so it’s nice to have something that fits.

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Kudos – what height are you? Bird was not one I’d considered…

Northwind

It is, aye. I don’t feel stretched, it does feel weird but it’s not uncomfortable or really disadvantageous, for me. Still learning the bike though

kudos100
    Free Member

Kudos – what height are you? Bird was not one I’d considered…

6’3.

Edit: I don’t feel too stretched out, as the shorter stem compensates for the extra length. I’ve always felt a bit cramped on most of my bikes, but loved a smaller bike for jumping and pissing about on.

kimbers

A few rides in to my process 153 I got back on my 10 year old full suss am bike, which at the time seemed amazing,
    OMG ! It was twitchy, cramped and unstable, that was just riding round the local park !

I think the nu skool bikes are more comfy on longer rides, steeper SA, long reach, tiny stem, wide bars, overall feel is more confident and relaxed, not stretched out at all

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

Cheers folks, 6ft2 myself though I do have a long body and short legs so the longer TT in theory shouldn’t prove much of an issue.

qwerty
    Free Member

Gary fisher have been doing it for years – not sure what their marketing buzzword is – but it works .

Gary Fisher called it Genesis Geometry, i have a 90’s Paola Pezzo Paragon in small, standard kit = 23″ top tube & 75mm stem.

julians
    Free Member

i used to have an ibis mojo hd, and now have an orbea rallon, it has to be said this long reach, steep seat tube, slack head angle thing is really good.

Feels much more stable in steep stuff, much more confidence inspiring, much less likely to go over the bars.

GregMay
    Free Member

Moved to a Mondraker a few months back – best move I’ve ever made. Feels stunning on anything steep. Uphil took a while to adjust to the feeling, but otherwise, total convert

groundskeeperwilly
    Free Member

GregMay – what did you have before the Mondraker?

jk1980
    Free Member

Must be some downsides, is manoeuvrability affected on a long moderaker ?

devash
    Free Member

My three year old 2012 Specialized Camber (26er) size large has an ett of 625mm and a reach of 462mm. It came with a 90mm stem which I’ve never really been able to get my head around with a top tube and reach that long.

fr0sty125
    Free Member

My new frame Size L is 4cm longer in reach than my 2013 size L frame. It feels like a lot more comfy with a 50mm stem.

lawman91

I moved from a medium Mojo HD to a large Foxy Carbon and the difference is incredible. The HD always felt like a stable ride but its got nothing on the Mondraker. It’s so planted on descents and through corners the speed you can carry is unreal. Yes when it gets really, really tight and speed drops it takes a little more man-handling but I’ve not found anything yet that can flummox it. It’s on the climbs that it really impresses though. On technical terrain it is by far and away the best climbing bike ive ever ridden. If you can keep the pedals turning it will get you up pretty much anything. I’m 100% converted and I’d very much like a matching hardtail to go with it in the future, they’re just **** awesome!

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Longer Top Tube, Forward Geometry etc – any converts?’ is closed to new replies.