Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Long forks on standard inbreds…
  • squattingmouse
    Free Member

Hmmm – I think I’ve been riding slack angled freeridey type things too long. My inbred which, until now, felt perfect now feels twitchy and uncertain. The fork has TAS which means I can go anywhere from 100mm (where it is now) to 120mm.

Anybody run 120mm forks on a normal inbred and measured the head angle ever? Are bad things going to happen?

clubber
    Free Member

What do you mean by ‘normal inbred’? The original inbreds were designed around a 100mm fork while later ones work well with a 130mm one…

My ones (130mm type) are great at 130 for trail centre type riding with 115 quickening it up a bit for local twisty singletrack.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Inbreds made in the last 2 years or so are corrected for 130mm forks. Older ones are 100mm

My 853 is 130mm corrected, but I’m running a 140mm Vanilla R and it’s fantastic. Vanillas are only 2mm more axle to crown that a 130mm Revelation though.

I had 115mm Rebas on my (130mm corrected) SS Inbred and that felt about as fast steering, and as little travel as I’d go personally. I do like big forks!

🙂

nickc

I ran my Inbred with U turn Rebas at just over the 100mm, it felt just a bit too long at 115mm. Old style SS one though.

clubber
    Free Member

It’s more than 2 years PP – My one back in early 2006 (slidy dropout version) was designed for 130mm

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

Clubber, yeah it was a bit of a guess, hence the ‘or so’ bit!
    🙂

sv

Standard Inbred is a ‘345’, ran mine at 100mm I felt it could have handled more.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Slack as . . .

. . . and great fun 😀 . 130mm Bombers with tall (518mm) axle to crown. Don’t think the poor headtube could’ve handled that set up for long though as I was already fitting headset cups by hand 😉

Older pre-slidey track end Inbred btw.

hugorune

I ran my DN6 inbred with Reba u-turns at 115mm all the time and it felt fine. Once you’ve added sag into the equation they’re under 100mm when your riding. That last point may be comlete hatstand.

On an unrelated point anyone have the info to hand on the minimum steerer length i’d need on a 20″ DN6?

thomthumb
    Free Member

had a slot dropout which ran pikes for a short while.

on the ‘up and down the road’ test it felt choppered out at 140mm, rode best around 125. when it got to the big hills of northumbyland it rode down fine at 140 – actually it was ace the faster you rode it the better it felt.

aren’t the most recent inbred similar front end geo to the 456 anyway?

squattingmouse
    Free Member

It’s a mk1 sliding dropout one so it is 100mm corrected. I may try t anyway and just see what happens. Mamadirt’s pic has kinda convinced me it may be manageable at 120mm.

It’s a singlespeed – it won’t go up hills well anyway and besides thats what the ETA switch is for!

tinsy
    Free Member

I got an 04 edit 04 ish not sure edit, dunno what is designed for but am running 125mm Mavericks with no trouble or problems, went from carbon 440mm rigids to them and yes its slower steering, but not overly so.. Mavericks a pretty short axle to crown for their travel though…

thesurfbus
    Free Member

I have ran a 5 year old Inbred with 120mm Bombers, and I currently run a Tinbred with 115mm Rebas, I ride XC but prefer a slightly slacker head angle.

Doug

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Long forks on standard inbreds…’ is closed to new replies.