Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Long distance road ride ending in the West Midlands
  • GolfChick
    Free Member

Would like to do a 100 miler road ride so looking for suggestions for routes ending in the West Midlands. Preferably avoiding as many scary A roads as possible!

aP
    Free Member

Starting where?

GolfChick
    Free Member

anywhere really just want it to end in Kidderminster. Thinking of asking my OH to drop me off at the start and then I’ll make my way home.

z1ppy

Barmouth start, if he’s into mtb’ing he could pop up to CYB, & track you back later on

BlobOnAStick

Aberystwith back to Worcester (or Kiddy possibly) utilising the mountain road and taking in Elan valley.

I’d probably join you if you wanted company.

GolfChick
    Free Member

He’s not a biker at all but I asked if he’d drop me off somewhere and said of course!

Do both those options avoid a lot of busy A roads though? I’d much rather start closer and ride just as far avoiding roads filled with cars

BlobOnAStick

Not many A roads but quite a few hills. I’ll email you a route that I’ve had kicking around for a while with the intention of doing it someday in mid-summer…..

Edit: YHM if your email address is active.

BlobOnAStick

https://sites.google.com/site/thecambrianaudax/the-cambrian-minor-140k

Alternatively there’s this audax, which is an out and back from Leominster

rOcKeTdOg

I do a big loop starting from Bromsgrove, some nice bits of Worcestershire & Warwickshire & back. Going somewhere & getting dropped could be better for motivation though. I find doing a loop & knowing the area cuts down the hassle of navigating & you can concentrate on staying hydrated & eating, something I usually forget to do

andysredmini
    Free Member

A mate and I planned a 100 mile route from Barry island back to Stourbridge. We were going to catch the train there and ride back. I looked at a few places but I think Barry had the easiest train journey. We didn’t get round to doing it last year Due to my mate injuring himself but I might suggest it again for this year. Another option is Barmouth if you like hills.

hebdencyclist
    Free Member

Go into Strava. Do activity search with “Kidderminster” in it and your minimum/maximum required distance. Take your pick.

jekkyl

iiwy golfchick, I’d start North somewhere like Nantwich or Audlem, all pretty flat South from there towards Stafford and a few cracking sustrans routes which are off road. from Stafford you could cut through the chase to end in Kidderminster.

GolfChick
    Free Member

yeah fair shout, Nantwich area is pretty flat as Im originally from Cheshire, gods country! I’ve plotted something from Aberystwyth that runs into Kiddy for now and will get round to trying that! Just need to figure snack/cafe stops!

belugabob
    Free Member

Reading to Kidderminster is about 100 miles.
    Tge countryside from reading, through Oxford, Stratford, Redditch and Bromsgrove has plenty of quieter country roads.

Did a route from Coventry to Crawley, via Oxford, Reading and Guildford, but was able to use bridleways and canal paths, as we were on MTBs – I’m pretty confident that you can put together a good road route

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Long distance road ride ending in the West Midlands’ is closed to new replies.