Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Londonists – Recommend me a pub around Paddington
  • atlaz
    Free Member

Meeting former colleagues for dinner and I’ll have an hour to burn before they arrive. Where’s good for a pint around there?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Oooh, now that’s a challenge!

The Archery Tavern, Bathurst Mews, just off Sussex Square used to be a very nice spot, but haven’t been there in years. Well worth it for the nice young ladies in jodphurs working in the two riding stables in the mews. If he’s still there, Henry at Hyde Park Stables (Right opposite the pub) is worth stopping to chat to. May be dead now, sadly, but he was a lovely chap, well over 16 hands, and a wonderful temperament. Loved a nip of whisky, too! 🙂

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

May be dead now, sadly, but he was a lovely chap, well over 16 hands, and a wonderful temperament. Loved a nip of whisky

atlaz wants to be recommended a pub, not who to have a drink with.

😕

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Was setting the scene as to why it is/was a lovely place for a beer! 😉

Ernie, I agreed with you earlier. On a thread which was pulled. I just wanted to highlight that I had agreed with you, however! 😉

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Did you ? I didn’t see that – must have been just before the thread was pulled. Mind you, I wouldn’t have expected any less from you – you’re a right proper gentleman who knows how to treat the ladies correctly. And you’re apparently a bit of a smooth operator with horses too 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Any chap worth his spurs knows that the finest fillies are to be found around horses, Ernie. Two legged fillies, that is! 🙂 I know a lass who used to run the stables. Damned nice lass she is too….! Henry was a lovely, lovely ‘oss, just perfect.

It was indeed that thread.

Anyway, back on track….

Barring the above, Paddington is a bit of a vacuum, I’m afraid. Much like the area around many termini, there’s really little more than generic blandorama or places where you wouldn’t want to drink! See also any pub near King’s Cross or the Willow Walk near Victoria. IMO, you need to walk about five to ten minutes frmo any major rail terminal to find a decent drop. This applies to every rail terminal I know, car the Eurostar at Gare du Nord, where there’s a rather nice bar just over the street. Opposite the sex shop, but a really nice little bar.

edd

I think the best in the region is The Victoria on Sussex Place. Probably a 5 minute walk though.

atlaz
    Free Member

The Archery is closed now so will either give the Victoria a shot or try CFH’s other recommendation in Victoria (Cask) as it’s loosely on the way.

CaptainMainwaring
    Free Member

+1 for the Victoria as a good honest boozer.

I tried the Duke of Wellington on Crawford St last week as it’s closer than the Victoria and was recommended for food. It’s a gastropub, and during the evening you can only drink at the bar rather than at the tables, but the London Pride was perfection, food was very good, and nice atmosphere

nickb

Victoria is great.

Good curry house opposite too – the Noorjahan (sp?). Top place!

atlaz
    Free Member

This seems to get good reviews too (http://www.beerintheevening.com/pubs/s/29/2998/Cleveland_Arms/Bayswater) … I’ll walk out of the station and see which one is closest and go from there.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Londonists – Recommend me a pub around Paddington’ is closed to new replies.