Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • London Guinness drinkers – Smithys Kings X
  • poolman
    Free Member

Someone told me its the best pint of Guinness in London? anyone been? I just read the usual Tripadvisor reviews & tbh don’t believe them – usual mixed bag.

I don’t want to eat, just enjoy the Guinness, if not Smithys, anywhere near, I normally go to Coal Hole, Princess Louise, Lamb & Flagg, Nel Gwynne etc (not in the same evening)& fancy something different.

ourmaninthenorth

+1 watching with interest

(My mum’s in the neck of the woods next week on a rare-for-her trip outside Wales. She likes the occasional Guinness, so it would be good to point her somewhere where she can sip half a pint and enjoy her day out.)

benslow
    Free Member

No idea re the Guinness but SMITHYS is a great little drinking spot.

Cheap (relative) too.

GK IPA was bogof last week.

poolman
    Free Member

thanks for the post, I’ll deffo make my way over there as I am staying close by. I better go to Condor first as a bogof beer may cloud my judgement.

Ourmaninthenorth – for a safe bet ask yr mother to go to the Coalhole on the Strand. I’ve never been let down but fancy a change.

ourmaninthenorth

cheers poolman. I’ll point her there.

bigyinn
    Free Member

At the risk of sounding like a beer snob, there are MUCH better stouts out there than Guinness.
    I think im right in saying all UK Guinness is now brewed in Dublin, although it was brewed at Park Royal in London, I think that stopped brewing about 15 odd years ago.
    *EDIT* Park Royal stopped brewing in 2005.

cb

Coach and horses in Wellington STreet near the Opera house has always had good Guinness…and great roast sandwiches at lunchtimes!

DenDennis
    Free Member

Not sure if big Richard is still the landlord, but if he is then the Marquis of Granby, Cambridge circus in between soho and cov garden has got to be a good shout.
    When he had the Lyric it was the best guinness I’ve ever had served, as in bringing it over to you a few minutes after ordering, once settled properly.
    Might check it out next time I’m in the area, proper landlord pubs are dying out but he certainly took no messing if someone did something he didnt like (such as standing in front of the door to the bogs).

poolman
    Free Member

cheers cb – is the coach & horses the pub almost opposite the main entrance (ie, not the plaza entrance) to the ROH, are the sandwiches really good? I usually go to Food for thought on Neal st so may give that a go.

Bigyinn – what stouts are better? I think Guinness in the Coalhole is abou 5 gbp a pint, it’s an expensive hobby.

cb

poolman – on the other side of the road and to the right a little bit i.e. not directly opposite. I’ve had the sausage ciabatta and the roast gammon on bloomer and both were fantastic.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Off the top of my head….

Youngs Double Choc Stout
    Meantime Stout
    Fullers Black Cab Stout
    Sheperd Neame Double Stout

Guinness is very standardised and if kept properly should be the same pretty much everywhere.

scotroutes

+1 I’m failing to see how any pub could claim to have “the best” Guinness.

Drac

Guinness is very standardised and if kept properly should be the same pretty much everywhere.

Yup it’s all shit.

BlindMelon
    Free Member

You gentlemen haven’t carried out enough research. The further Guinness travels the worse it gets. The way the pint is poured is also key to a good pint. It should be filled half to 2/3rds and set on the bar to settle. Then filled up and left again to settle. Enjoy.

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

The chop house near work, Simpsons, definitely had a nicer pint of guiness that anywhere else local when I was there last.

maccauk
    Free Member

The myth behind the Guinness two pour cobblers.
    The way people eulogise over a pasteurised keg beer always suprises me.

http://www.bogrolls.net/GuinnesTheMythII.html

Then again what do I know, I drink lager.

Find somewhere that sells a lot and cleans its lines and it will taste the same as everywhere else that does the same.

MrBlond
    Free Member

Coach and Horses used to be one of the places to go in London to get Guinness from Dublin before they moved all production back there, saw Richard Harris propping up the bar in there once.

…and now I feel *really* old having googled to find all Guinness has come from Dublin for nearly 10 years, and RH has been dead for 12

BlindMelon
    Free Member

The myth behind the Guinness two pour cobblers.

I have conducted 20 years research into this and can assure you that the 2 stage pour is superior. Unless you are talking about that vile extra cold stuff. You can pull that any way you like, I’ll not be touching it…..hic

bikebouy
    Free Member

bigyinn – Member
    Off the top of my head….
    Meantime Stout

Ewe, bit sweet, even that poured from the Meantime Brewery in Greenwich 😕

StefMcDef
    Free Member

When I lived in London Guinness was my main tipple so I researched this subject extensively. I realise Guinness should be the same everywhere but it possibly reflects badly on London’s publicans that the quality of what you got served up was so variable. I think they brought out the ice cold stuff so that you couldn’t taste how bad crap Guinness actually was.

The Coach and Horses in Covent Garden was the place I was going to suggest. Their Guinness, which used to get shipped in from Dublin, when most places were supplied by Park Royal, was always beautifully kept and served, and went down a treat with their salt beef sandwiches.

There was also a Porterhouse(?) which was a kind of brewpub/microbrewery that sold its own stouts in one of the streets between Covent Garden market and the Strand. No idea if it’s still there. There was also one of them in Dublin.

The best pint of Guinness I can remember having in London was in an Irish pub down Wandsworth/Earlsfield way called Tir Na nOg. Bit of a schlep from Kings Cross though.

The best stout full stop I can remember having was a seasonal offering from the Ringwood Brewery in a pub in Lymington in Hampshire. Utterly delicious.

bikebouy
    Free Member

The best stout full stop I can remember having was a seasonal offering from the Ringwood Brewery in a pub in Lymington in Hampshire. Utterly delicious.

Anything from Hampshire is “Utterly delicious” 😀

StefMcDef
    Free Member

Anything from Hampshire is “Utterly delicious”

It must have been good to have torn me away from my staple diet, while I was there, of Horndean Special Bitter. What a luvverly pint that is.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Hmmm, HSB, always found that a bit sweet, although its a while since it actually came from Horndean. Went past there about a month ago and only the brewery tower remains, the rest was a building site for flats. Boo!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘London Guinness drinkers – Smithys Kings X’ is closed to new replies.