Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Locked windows but no key – advice?
  • stilltortoise
    Free Member

As the post really. I have a locked bedroom window but cannot find the key. Any guidance on options that don't involve getting a locksmith/glazier involved? I'm sure someone on STW has some sage advice. Cheers

piha
    Free Member

See if there is a manufacturers name on the window or handle (guessing the lock is on the handle) and request a new key from them. Failing that, most locks on windows are fairly crap so a hammer and/or a flat bladed screwdriver will be your friends.

steveh

Pretty much all locks seem to use the same key. try any other keys you have in the house, you may well find they work.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

a hammer and/or a flat bladed screwdriver will be your friends.

…and then what? I assume it depends on the locking mechanism as to where and how they're placed

highclimber
    Free Member

stilltortoise
    Free Member

Pretty much all locks seem to use the same key. try any other keys you have in the house, you may well find they work.

been down that route already, along with all the keys that look like window keys 🙁

stilltortoise
    Free Member

helpful highclimber, helpful

SuperScale20
    Free Member

Locksmith?

coffeeking
    Free Member
    stilltortoise
    Free Member

Locksmith?

As per OP, I was hoping to exhaust the FOC (sensible) options before paying for a locksmith

piha
    Free Member

You would have to force the lock by sticking the screwdriver in the keyhole and turning the screwdriver until the lock breaks.Or insert the screwdriver and hit it with the hammer until the lock breaks.
    Have a look at the other windows(assuming they are all the same) and see how the mechanism works. You should be able to work out what you have to break in order to open your window.The locking mechanism will be rather flimsy and not of great quality. There are many retro fit window locks on the market that you can install rather easily to make the window lockable again. Or you could source a replacement handle with key's that match the others in your house.

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

Even if knew how to pick locks/break locks/hack locks( well i do know) do you think i would publish it on a internet forum?

misterfrostie
    Free Member

Find the way if you can to get the handle assmebly off the window. Some of mine have blanking plates where two screws are and you can just take them off and replace them.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Even if knew how to pick locks/break locks/hack locks( well i do know) do you think i would publish it on a internet forum?

You'd be the last person to do it, there's dozens of instructional vids out there for hundreds of locks and the techniques transfer from lock to lock fairly well, it's hardly a secret in the days of the internet.

And being a window lock, the picking thereof means you're on the inside of the house, so you're unlikely to be a burglar as to be opening it illegally you're either a very slow burglar waiting for STW to help you escape or you're forgetting the route you took to get into the house.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

er, yes. Otherwise I wouldn't have asked 🙄

antigee

do you think i would publish it on a internet forum?

i think i've worked out the answer – but go on surprise us

Steve-Austin
    Free Member

no i shan't

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Locked windows but no key – advice?’ is closed to new replies.