Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • limiting data usage on a mobile hotspot?
  • spooky_b329

I’ve got myself an Android head unit, which hooks up to the house WiFi to download Spotify playlists etc.

I’ll use my phones hotspot so it can get Google Map traffic updates etc when out and about.

I’m sure I’ve seen an option on a Chromebook or Tablet where you can ‘tag’ a WiFi SSID as a mobile hotspot to prevent the device from updating Apps or refreshing Spotify lists whilst using your precious data allowance, anyone know where to find it? Or an App that does the same?

Sent from my iphone car radio

mattyfez

Should be a standard option on the phone somewhere, prevent apps from updating unlesss on wifi?

spooky_b329

But the head unit thinks it is on WiFi, I can’t remember how to the particular WiFi connection as a mobile hotspot/fake WiFi.

mark90
    Free Member

On my phone it is…

Settings > Data Usage > More > Restrict Networks

In there you can set wifi networks to be considered as mobile.

Then also….

Settings > Data Usage > Mobile

You can restrict specific appliactions on mobile data connections.

You’ll need to do all this on the head unit of course.

Interested to hear feedback on the head unit. What have you got?

Cougar

Sounds cool, got a link for that?

petrieboy

I’ve got an android head unit in the T5. Was fun and games when tomtom did a 5gig map update whilst in France whilst I was using my work phone as a hotspot……

spooky_b329

Thanks Mark, I’ll take another look.

Others – its this one http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/232012476385?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I bought it as its 5.1 Lollipop, but apparently the 4.4 variants by Joying/Pumpkin are all upgradable.

First Impressions:

Not particularly impressed by the launcher, tried a few and settled on Smart Launcher Pro as I’ve already paid/use it on my phone.

Touch laggy but seems better with the above launcher…a bit slow when OK Googling ‘navigate to Afan’ but it gets there and quicker than prodding postcodes into an unresponsive TomTom

Radio/music quality not bad at all.

Next headache…it doesn’t have a lockscreen so I’m essentially driving around with an unsecured phone attached to the dash that has my Google login credentials stored and therefore Gmail and god knows what else sync’d. A bit of Googling doesn’t show an easy option…I even remotely locked it from Android Device Manager which worked, but then when you try to unlock the unit the launcher crashes and then it lets you carry on using the device!

The old radio was a megabucks OE Clarion touchscreen unit…it was a bit crap to be honest so not overly upset when it started cutting out for days on end.

Most exciting is having Google Maps built into the dash with the superdooper traffic updates…head and shoulders above the dumb satnav on the Clarion unit.

geoffj

Mmm I like the look of that. And it’ll take a reversing camera.

mark90
    Free Member

Just catching up from a few days away, thanks for info Spooky. Think I need to do some more research. My current head unit is just radio and CD, so need something more modern to play mp3’s and google maps is a major bonus.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘limiting data usage on a mobile hotspot?’ is closed to new replies.