Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Lighting for off road riding
  • chambo82
    Free Member

Looking to possibly change my lighting setup as it’s overkill I think but would be interesting to hear others opinions and what you are using. I’m currently running Exposure Reflex on the bars with Joystick mk9 (750 lumen) on helmet. Possibly looking to sell both and get a Hope R4+ to use on helmet only.
    Any experience/opinions welcome

jam-bo

i’ve just seen details of the new gloworm CX trail.

very tempted to sell my x1/x2 combo and get one…

br
    Free Member

Looking to possibly change my lighting setup as it’s overkill I think but would be interesting to hear others opinions and what you are using. I’m currently running Exposure Reflex on the bars with Joystick mk9 (750 lumen) on helmet. Possibly looking to sell both and get a Hope R4+ to use on helmet only.
    Any experience/opinions welcome

1 No such thing as ‘overkill’ for mtb-night riding
    2 Only having one light will mean no ‘shadow’, to judge roots/ruts etc
    3 Selling two Exposures to buy one Hope, eh?

chambo82
    Free Member

Oo not seen the new glo light will look up now !!

Fair point on the points made , just looking to simplify ‘possibly’ so selling 2 expensive lights to buy 1 would def make things easier , and as for the Hope comment I’ve used Hope components for years and to date haven’t had any issues with parts so would be interested in a light from them if they are as good as their other parts

Cheers

benp1

Recent experiment on some gentle track pootling – used a helmet light only for a small section and found the trail completely flattened, couldn’t tell where the bumpy sections were without REALLY concentrating. Bar light made such a difference to create shadows

I think if I HAD to pick one light I’d have a helmet light, but having two lights is fairly essential I’d say

chambo82
    Free Member

Nice one benp1

Shred
    Free Member

My old Hope bar light has started giving problems on very wet rides and cutting out. This leaves me with just my head light (Exposure Axis) to get home with. If there is any moisture in the air, mist or rain, it just makes a white curtain in front of my eyes making visibility very poor.

A bar, head torch combo works best imo.

Bedds
    Free Member

If you only need one light you’re not riding quickly enough 😉

As per benp1, having a single light tends to flatten a trail meaning you miss stuff like roots, if you’re riding with others you may also find that your light gets obliterated by theirs.

benp1

I’d say that your setup at the moment is pretty ideal to be honest

You’ve got a big bright floody light on your bars and a nice, lightweight helmet light for spotting round corners

You’re potential upgrade sounds like a bit of a downgrade

trout
    Free Member

Also consider what it will be like when your single Hope light goes flat or breaks down when you are in the forest / bombing down a trail / fixing a flat
    2 lights are the minimum I would ride with at night .

jekkyl

I know you guys on here love spending lots of money. I have 2 ebay cree lights which are ace. One on the bar that floods and the one on my headlight is more focussed. Cost £16 each.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Lighting for off road riding’ is closed to new replies.