Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Light for £75-£100
  • oscillatewildly
    Free Member

hi guys, my mate has a light which was about 100 quid, a giant something or other, its not the most powerful, and unless he's side by side riding next to me he cant see bugger all on dark off road sections……its fine for road use or where there is some lighting..

he has about 75-100 quid to spend, and can use it alongside the one he already has, i have suggested a hope vision 1, as they seem to get pretty decent reviews, is there any thing else i should be recommending to him? any 'unknown' brands that have a cracking deal for the money? 100 quid absolute max though…

thanks guys!

uplink
    Free Member
    Jamie
    Free Member

Interesting to see lumilite actually charging a 'reasonable' amount for the DX now.

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

that lumilite one looks an absolute steal might get one for myself too haha! cheers 900lumens for 80quid/!?!?!?! any one actually got one to tell me if they are that good value?

Jamie
    Free Member

any one actually got one to tell me if they are that good value?

Hehe.

Do a search on the forum but briefly:

The Lumilte one is a rebadged Magicshine light which bestofferbuy and dealxtreme sell for £50 inc delivery. Only problem is you will have to wait for it to be shipped from HK. Some get it in weeks others over a month. All lumilite have done is ordered a shit load, put uk plugs on them and banged £30 on the RRP. They were trying to sell them for £150 but i think they have stopped that now. Sorry it was Leddite who were trying to flog them for £150.

stevemorg2

a few people I know are happy with the Magicshine/Lumilite but if your mate can stretch a little bit On-One have these for £110

http://www.on-one-shop.co.uk/acatalog/info_LIABP7ELBK.html

IMHO they seem to be better made than the Magicshines and aren't that much more cash. IF he can stretch even further then Stif have the 480 lumen Hope 2x LED for £135

cookeaa

Interestingly I bought MBUK last night, not done that for a few years, I can confirm it is still total shite….

But I noticed Stiff are now taking the piss and offering the DX/Bastid for £150 now, can’t remember what they call it but it did amuse me… chancing ****…

Yup on a budget, DX is a winner…

The Lumilite is the same as the bestofferbuy/Dealextreme offerings buut with a 30 mark up, the only real advantage is that the dispatch time will be shorter as opposed to the ~5-6weeks many have seen from HK, still I'd rather wait and pay £30 less….

The light is basic but does belt out a reasonable beam, I wouldn't call it waterproof…
    do a search you'll find plenty of reviews both on here and other sites…

tomhughes46

I would second the Airbike P7; Mine is pretty good (there is one review online where they seem sh1te but think this is a faulty one), but it is a very 'floody' beam. I also have an Exposure Spark, very pointy beam but great as a helmet mount. Plus if you buy it from On One they will presumably warranty it.

The DX look good but by the time you get one it'll be summer!

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

I've got a Hope vision 1 – great little light for the money, but not quite bright enough for when things get really technical, but more than enough for towpath riding, etc. The after sales service from Hope is brilliant as well, if anything goes wrong (I managed to lose part of the handlebar bracket for mine), they'll sort it out quickly for you.

adey205
    Free Member

+1 for the hope. i've got two of them. also second their service dept.
    pcb went on one of mine, sent ,sorted, returned within 4 days

stevemorg2

It maybe a bit too much fuss and I'm not sure if its what you want but I've got a Triple R2 LED lamp unit I no longer need since I bought a troutlite.
    It in a Lumicycle can – puts out about 650 lumen – £35 posted
    Your mate will need to get a charger and battery pack off Smudge though

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

really appreciate the advice guys! top blokes!

ive pointed him in the direction of the lumilite one, purely because if he was to get the one off dealextreme he would wait ages for delivery, by that time the dark nights will be getting less, so hes got a budget of 100quid so for the extra on luminite its worth it, and it says you get a 12 month warranty with the luminite one which is handy, he will be over the moon last night he had to stop completely as he couldnt see so really appreciate your help 🙂 might even get one myself if they are the dogs danglies 🙂

cheers again guys, really appreciated!

monkeyboyjc

I bought one of teh magicshine lights from dealextream just before xmas (end of November), it turned up mid Jan. But its one of the most reasent batches, and i can confirm after a full strip of it (right down to the LED driver its much better than the early reports and some reviews on the web.

There was no issues with stray swarf, and there was also thermal paste in all the right places.

Light out put is closer to 600-700 lumins but i think thats due to the basic reflector and lens. There is a fair bit of light bleading off the edge of the beam which will drop the lumin output as there is no direct cut off.

I've used it twice now on off road rides and about 10-12 times comuting, all of the time its been in the rain there has been no sealing issues, and its performed very well on the off road ride, however i have just put an order in for another (helmet mount version), which i'll prob mod the reflector to turn it into a spot.

For less than £50 its an amazing deal, and i can t fault it – for your mates £100 budget i'd but two and get a Y lead (dual up front) or 1m extension lead (for helmet mount)- both avalible on ebay.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Light for £75-£100’ is closed to new replies.