Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)
  • Liberal Democrats, can they stop Brexit?
  • mattyfez

The ones that are opposing the govt.

The government should always be opposed, it’s what keeps them on thier toes, competent opposition is healthy and should be encouraged.

El-bent
    Free Member

But in the meantime can you (EU bureaucrats supporters) not let us celebrate, enjoy and savor the moment for few generations to come …

You can have your moment, your victory, I’m quite relaxed about it…these next few years will be all about giving you brexiters just enough rope to hang yourselves with.

P-Jay
    Free Member

gordimhor – Member
    P-Jay can’t see your idea of a coalition working firstly I think Tories and media have managed to make the SNP toxic for a lot of people in England. Second the one thing that the SNP would insist on as part of any deal would be a referendum on independence.

I reckon it could work, the SNPs justification for the second vote on Scotland is based on Brexit, reverse A50, devolve some more power to Scotland and they’ll make unhappy bedfellows.

It’s a bit moot though, I know the polls can’t be trusted these days, but it looks like a Tory majority at the moment, I think the best left wing thinkers can hope for is the utter destruction of UKIP which is more than likely and a more centralist May who might do as she promised (there’s an idea) come up with a deal that everyone (well almost everyone) can live with.

mattyfez

*news flash *

UKIP are redundant now. They were a one trick pony, The Conservatives have moved slightly to the right and authitaian position and pinched all thier voters.

kelvin

Define ‘you lot’?

I think by “you lot”, he just means the British.

That’s my translation, anyway,

chewkw
    Free Member

mattyfez – Member
    *news flash *

UKIP are redundant now. They were a one trick pony, The Conservatives have moved slightly to the right and authitaian position and pinched all thier voters. Quick grab some headlines … 😆

kelvin – Member

Define ‘you lot’?

I think by “you lot”, he just means the British.

That’s my translation, anyway, [/quote]

There are British and there are British EU bureaucrats apologists, but guess which one I am referring to … 😆

igm

British – you certainly seem to want to hurt Britain

prettygreenparrot

@kimbers
    Some folks, like hospital doctors, have had inflation outstripping wage growth for a while. 0.28% in 2014. 1% for 2017. And that might well be 1% awarded in 2 parts over the year like past years.

http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/DDRB_recommends_pay_rise_of_1%2525_for_doctors

jambalaya
    Free Member

Legally/theoretically yes, it would require the approval of the other 27 EU members. The Lib Dems may have to agree to other new conditions, eg abolish budget rebate, full Schengen, join the euro ?

The Lib Dems are targetting in increase from 9 to 18 seats. They are going to fail. They could get less than 9, senior party figures are speaking up that the anti-Brexit message is not working

igm

That legality Jamba is still being tested is it not?

The reality is that legality wouldn’t matter. The law is a minimum standard that you can go beyond.

chewkw
    Free Member

igm – Member
    British – you certainly seem to want to hurt Britain

Hey, that’s my line you are using. 😆

You (remainders) are trying to pawn/sell UK/British to the EU bureaucrats for your own interest.

Silly goose. 😆

kelvin

The Lib Dems are targetting in increase from 9 to 18 seats. They are going to fail. They could get less than 9, senior party figures are speaking up that the anti-Brexit message is not working

I find myself agreeing with Jamba yet again.

I fully expect Lib Dems to lose as many seats as they gain as the UKIP/Tory vote merges in the seats they’re defending and targeting.

The message isn’t working because people genuinely believe that Brexit is a done deal, because most papers and the leadership of the two main parties have kept pushing home the message that it is. It isn’t.

Most surveys show that a very large majority now think that Brexit now has to happen, even though the same surveys show that a small majority think it’s a mistake. A mistake that has to happen. That’s how easily led we Brits are.

kelvin

but guess which one I am referring to …

Guessing what on earth you’re on about is rarely worth the effort.

The main jist this time seems to be that you think we Brits shouldn’t get to vote on our future.

igm

Of course it’s a mistake.

Only the religious fanatics (yes Chewkw, ninfan, Jamba, I’m talking about those who would sacrifice Britain’s future on the altar of xenophobic nationalism) still approve of Brexit.

Edit: just been walking back in the sunshine with my German neighbour.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

The meaningful vote thing is actually a good policy, just a shame nobody had the balls to force it through with the A50 bill as it would have at least made who was negotiating/flouncing have to think a little harder.
    At this stage they probably do need a leaders debate, one to show all May really has is pointing at JC and going full pantomime.

chewkw
    Free Member

kelvin – Member
    The main jist this time seems to be that you think we Brits shouldn’t get to vote on our future.

You (remainders) sold out to EU bureaucrats in the name of whatever you think suits you. 😆

igm – Member
    Only the religious fanatics (yes Chewkw, ninfan, Jamba, I’m talking about those who would sacrifice Britain’s future on the altar of xenophobic nationalism) still approve of Brexit.

Crikey 😯

poly
    Free Member

Second the one thing that the SNP would insist on as part of any deal would be a referendum on independence.

I think Mrs S is smarter than that. She will only insist on IndyRef2 if she thinks she can win it. A significantly different Westminster government and softer Brexit arrangement would certainly make that less likely, and her popularity in Scotland could actually increase if she were then seen to be saying “let’s see how this pans out before we jump ship”.

Of course Labour could never enter a coalition with them as they stole all their Scottish seats and there is way too much resentment for that.

DrJ

I’m not seeing any strategy from the Conservatives.

Eh? Does “lining their own pockets” not count as a strategy?

footflaps

You can have your moment, your victory, I’m quite relaxed about it…these next few years will be all about giving you brexiters just enough rope to hang yourselves with.

If only they would (hang themselves) literally or metaphorically. However, instead they’ll just blame someone else when the UK doesn’t miraculously return to a 1950s empire ruling, white only, dystopian fantasy….

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure a lot of them wouldn’t be able to tie the knot properly either.

Death by strangulation isn’t pretty.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

And we get to yet add another subject to the (very) long list of things that Chewkw doesn’t understand.

zippykona

When they find out that Muslamia isn’t actually a country and isn’t actually in europe and they won’t actually be affected by any extra immigration barriers the old people in this country might changet their minds.

oldnpastit

And we get to yet add another subject to the (very) long list of things that Chewkw doesn’t understand.

What, cycling?

footflaps

I’m not seeing any strategy from the Conservatives.

It’s called business as usual ie continue to minise taxation for non-doms, corporations and the rich in general. All of whom will benefit, from reduced labour costs, as the UK continues it’s transition to a low skill, low wage, zero job security economy.

ferrals
    Free Member

Simple answer is ‘No,’ sadly I don’t think they’ll get enough seats to make a differnece. I’m somewhat torn by what to do with my vote, always voted lib dem but a) I’m not convinced by Tim Farron and b) last time the conservatives won by me with a handful of votes (well three handfulls actually) so might actually make a difference voting labour. But I don’t believe Corbyn will do anything useful to moderate Brexit anyway.

D0NK

I honestly think that if the referendum was re-run now, it would be quite a significant win for remain. I doubt anyone would be protesting if the government threw out Brexit.

nah there seem to be a whole bunch of hardcore brexiters, they’d be livid. However I think there’s atleast as many remainers and a whole bunch of floating voters who will currently be a bit worried and would swap to remain side. Hypothetical tho can’t see eu ref v2.0 ever happening.

Re tactical voting I always used to say it was cobblers, vote for who you want, this time around I’m thinking it might actually be a good idea.

PJM1974
    Free Member

@chewkw:

Once again, fact confused with personal assertion without any citation to support your point.

You (remainders) sold out to EU bureaucrats in the name of whatever you think suits you

Celebrate what exactly?

But in the meantime can you (EU bureaucrats supporters) not let us celebrate, enjoy and savor the moment for few generations to come …

Seriously, what’s there to celebrate? I hear a great deal about “taking back control” but no-one has been able to articulate exactly what that means.

chewkw
    Free Member

ghostlymachine – Member

Other than simply saying something I am sure you are incapable of listing them … 😆

oldnpastit – Member
    What, cycling?

I like cycling me. 😛

PJM1974 – Member

@chewkw
    :

Once again, fact confused with personal assertion without any citation to support your point. Doesn’t work that way silly goose coz we are on interweb … 😆

Seriously, what’s there to celebrate? I hear a great deal about “taking back control” but no-one has been able to articulate exactly what that means.

You do understand it is such a joy to debate with you lot (reminders) don’t you? Celebration can come in many forms so guess what I am referring to … 😆

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Celebration can come in many forms so guess what I am referring to …

I can only assume we really don’t want to to be looking at your web cam right now. I guess your celebrating paying more taxes or your employer paying more to employ you? Well done have a cookie.

chewkw
    Free Member

mikewsmith – Member

Celebration can come in many forms so guess what I am referring to …

I can only assume we really don’t want to to be looking at your web cam right now. [/quote] Was thinking of webcam a while back but I guess seeing Peter Griffin celebrating should be sufficient. :mrgreen:

I guess your celebrating paying more taxes or your employer paying more to employ you? Well done have a cookie.

I don’t mind paying for more tax if my chosen govt is in place to create peace, harmony and happiness for me … I mean for all … 😛

tjagain

There is zero chance of the SNP going into coaltion with anyone at westminster. what they would do is a supply and confidence deal

mikewsmith
    Free Member

There is zero chance of

Words usually uttered shortly before something happens in politics. It’s a call to be made when asked.

tjagain

Nope – on this one itws as cear and certain as anything can be.

1) the tribalism of scttish labour means they will not accept a coalition with the SNP – look at the situation in Scotland where most of the councils have no overall control and labour are doing deals with the tories to keep the SNP out and 2) the SNP would not want to be hamstrung in the way the lib dems were.

Supply and confidence deal is possible. Coalition is simply not politically possible nor desirable for anyone

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ll still wait to see the question asked. It’s about delivering the best you can and how you do that. Anyone setting out rules before is an idiot.

tjagain

realpolitik is the reason

there is no advantage to either labour or the snp in a formal coalition. Supply and confidence deal is the only possible answer

aracer
    Free Member

There does still seem to be a lot of stupidity over this. The LibDems played realpolitik, got a new student loans arrangement which made it a far more progressive “tax” with only those graduates in highly paid jobs worse off, yet apparently this is bad because they broke a promise and that outweighs all the good things they did.

tjagain

Thing is Aracer – by entering coalition and declaring they were in it for 5 years the lib dems gave away all their power. S&D does not commit you to voting for all tory policies – just those in the manifesto. If the lib dems had done this we would not have seen the selloff of the post office cheap and a lot of other things

epicsteve
    Free Member

et apparently this is bad because they broke a promise and that outweighs all the good things they did.

The level to which they betrayed their supporters is going to take a long time to recover from by the looks of it. With them being the only UK party that are clearly anti-Brexit I thought they’d be able to recover at least some of the ground they lost when it became clear they were turncoat scum that’d do anything for a sniff of power and a couple of ministerial cars, however that’s not looking to be the case.

footflaps

If the lib dems had done this we would not have seen the selloff of the post office cheap and a lot of other things

Hindsight is a wonderful thing…

tjagain

I said this before they went into coalition. It was obvious then they were doing the wrong thing and it was a very close decision in the lib demns with many senior figures saying coalition ws wrong.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 154 total)

The topic ‘Liberal Democrats, can they stop Brexit?’ is closed to new replies.