Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)
  • Lets see those winter road bikes (… have I gone too early?)
  • rp16v
    Free Member

Jackhammer- you want sks raceblade 2 longs i have them on my small defy which has zero clerance even the giant gaurds struggle and lasted abou a month the sks are 10x better and dont rattle.

plus-one

[url=https://flic.kr/p/LZ7mSY]Winter roadie/off road rig[/url] by Plus one2010, on Flickr

Zefal swan clipped onto seatpost when wet 8)

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Bought as a replacement for my Supersix – not really the bike I was after so relegated to winter/peaks bike

OCB
    Free Member

This one gets most of my wet crappy winter miles in.

We are pretty casual in how we define ‘roads’ when we are out together too – that ^ was on the ride home from Haytor after the ToB finish up there on Friday.

TiRed

OCB, you’ve just made me homesick. I love the back beach. Couldn’t get down for the ToB finish this year. 🙁

JackHammer

Thanks guys. Will get a set ordered up. Although my frame doesn’t have threaded mounting holes. P clips ftw.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Sometimes on roads, sometimes not. Always fun.

SandyThePig
    Free Member

Still need to change the saddle, but here’s mine:

One way commute = 10 miles on road + 2 miles off

firestarter
    Free Member

Winter summer anytime any road or track 🙂

mrblobby
    Free Member

Ooh a Shand. Nice. I’d love to swap my frame for a Skinnymalinky.

dalesjoe
    Free Member

I’m dreading the onset of winter and going back to the Dolan Porffisio after a summer of ridding the Supersix Evo HM. So much in fact that I’m thinking I might just sack off this whole winter/summer bike and just ride the Cannondale all year.

Surely as MTB ers we can ignore the whole “can’t ride a nice bike if it’s rained, my bike will fall apart/get wet” thing. If my chain wears out a bit quicker I’ll buy a new chain. Life is too short to ride a crap bike most of the year!

wilburt
    Free Member

My winter bike is now in a permenant Zwift station and the summer bike will get used on dry days.

nathb
    Free Member

Year round commuter:

It will have winter tyres put on soon (Vittoria Rubino Pro Techs) but that’s the only mod I’ll do for winter. I tend not to use it if it’s raining in the morning, instead opting for the tube, but if its forecast for evening rain then it’s still used but with a saver attached to the seat. I ride solo so guards not an issue, but may invest in some this year.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Life is too short to ride a crap bike most of the year!

Who says a winter bike needs to be crap 🙂

And isn’t it just a good excuse for N+1?

scotroutes

My “winter” bike is worth a lot more than my “summer” bike.

amedias
    Free Member

Winter just means specc’d appropriately, normally slightly bigger tyres, full guards and if you have any sense either rims with a thicker sidewall for longevity or discs, and possibly gearing ratio changes if you’re going to be riding solo more often or carrying more weight (clothing, food, bike weight etc.)

Doesn’t have to mean you skimp on the frame or group though, although I’m a bit partial to running older (but decent) 7/8 or 9 speed groups as they do deal with the crap a bit better, and in my experience they do last longer, but others may have different experiences.

I use my ‘winter’ bikes all year round as they’re great for loads of riding, I just don’t ride my un-guarded, lightweight/thin rimmed wheels, highly geared bike in crap weather, not because it’s too good for bad weather, but because the other bikes are better equipped for it.

jwt
    Free Member

Ribble 525 was a basic build, not too heavy not light but comfortable, now with 28mm four seasons.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Winter just means specc’d appropriately,

It’s also more a bike to ride in the dark too. More robust wheels for the inevitable unseen pot holes you plough through in the dark. Also fitted with decent lighting that can be a pain to mount on aero profile bars and seat posts. I’m actually quite tempted to fit Di2 on my winter bike as I think a gear indicator on the Garmin could be quite handy in the dark.

amedias
    Free Member

now with 28mm four seasons.

still with guards?

One thing that put me off the Ribble when I was looking around was that I’d heard it was a squeeze to even get properly sized 25s through with guards and (uses standard drop brakes). Other than that it looked like an incredibly good value and well thought out frame.

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Last year:

35c, discs and gears this year (build in progress)

Bez

I sold my winter bike. And my summer bike. Realised I was better off with a bike.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Good blog that Baz. Always nice to hear the thinking behind a bike build.

ransos
    Free Member

Winter mods are SKS full length guards and SPDs so I can use my waterproof mtb boots.

Daffy

STATO
    Free Member

A lot of seem to be confusing the concept of a summer bike with THEIR summer bike. A summer bike is a light-as-can-be-skinny-tyres-to-go-fast! , not your disc equipped 30mm tyre – actually a cross bike – fitted with a big saddle bag and pump mount under the bottle cage ;0)

You dont ride a nice summer-bike in the winter, otherwise its not a summer-bike, its just a road bike, even if it is a nice one.

ransos
    Free Member

A lot of seem to be confusing the concept of a summer bike with THEIR summer bike. A summer bike is a light-as-can-be-skinny-tyres-to-go-fast!

You dont ride a nice summer-bike in the winter, otherwise its not a summer-bike, its just a road bike, even if it is a nice one.

What utter cobblers!

mrblobby
    Free Member

Daffy, a Niner and the Pickenflick? That’s a lot of Dura Ace!

kilo

Had it a few years now and currently with Time road pedals rather than spd’s and just put some 105 brakes on it because they were cheap. Very good frame, comfortable and light ish. Bottom of the range shimano gears still working fine. £300 well spent. I keep considering getting something a bit better or using my old cx bike but can’t really see what would be any better without going up to carbon. Long blade guards work well although I have just lost the front bit of the front guards so may consider PDW guards, anybdy know if they’ll fit as the rear clearance looks a bit tight

Daffy

Uh huh. Winter/Commuter and Summer.

Though I did my first century on the Niner as pictured above. Planned to use the PnF, but it was nighttime and lashing it down.

I’ve just rolled over 13k miles on the Niner.

That’s a lot of Dura Ace!

Just a cheap crankset (£65) on the Niner.

STATO
    Free Member

ransos – Member

A lot of seem to be confusing the concept of a summer bike with THEIR summer bike. A summer bike is a light-as-can-be-skinny-tyres-to-go-fast!

What utter cobblers!
    [/quote]

Of course it is, but like ’the rules’ its just a bit of fun. However you cant join in (calling your bike a summer-bike) then complain when people point out its not, in the spirit of the term ‘summer-bike’ anyway.

Note the ;0)

cookeaa

for the last couple of years it’s just been crud guards on the ‘summer’ bike

But I was mulling over upgrade/replacement options for the year round commuter on the way home tonight

I will probably stick to business as usual though…

rp16v
    Free Member

Jackhammer they actualy use the wheel qr as a mount so no need for dedicated frame mounts 8)

SaxonRider

Summer bike on left. Winter bike on right.

cookeaa

Oh, and what would be the ruling on a 1x winter road bike? Not a ‘CX’ bike, an actual road bicycle…

Sacrilegious, lazy setup or practical simplicity? Discuss…

STATO
    Free Member

1x on a road bike is for triathletes who can’t tell theirs left shifter from the right. Only exception to that rule is a TT bike running huge front ring and a straight through cassette (I.e 11-21 10 speed) for a very fast and flat TT. 😆

shedbrewed
    Free Member

The Burls of Doooom

Might change the bars and stem this winter.

mrblobby
    Free Member

Nice Burls. Not sure about those green cables!

First ride on the “winter” bike tonight in the dark. Lovely night for it. Definitely prefer night riding on something that feels a bit more weighty and solid, especially in the wheel department, than the race bike.

cookeaa

@stato: That would be my thoughts a couple of years ago, but these days with a 10/11 speed 11-32/11-30 cassette and say a 40t/42t N/W ring for just spinning about over winter, I could see that being a viable option, wouldn’t be super quick on the flat or going up, but would be less drivetrain to maintain, if it’s a nice dry day the proper bike with a double still comes out…
    Bear in mind I am coming from a fixie here so any gear range is a relative luxury…

epicsteve
    Free Member

This will be my winter road bike – it’s also my summer road bike! Only addition will be mudguards and lights:

Skankin_giant
    Free Member

Will be on my Kaffenback when I get a chance.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/GaBf1N]IMG_20160411_192706[/url] by Stephen Williams, on Flickr

Cheers, Steve

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 126 total)

The topic ‘Lets see those winter road bikes (… have I gone too early?)’ is closed to new replies.