Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)
  • let's have a positive thread about cycling
  • Karinofnine

yesterday I rode to work and back. It was really great. There were no problems at all. I arrived at work energised yet relaxed. I saved a heap of cash over the equivalent journey by train and had a much more pleasant time than being stuffed in with loads of other people. I had a short but pleasant exchange with another cyclist.

rOcKeTdOg

I smile every ride, even a bad ride is a good ride

I’ve met some great people through cycling

atlaz
    Free Member

I went out on Saturday morning for what is now looking like my last road ride of the year (loads of snow fell yesterday) and although I was woefully underprepared for the temperature (-5), I loved it. No road rage, no angry motorists, just a crisp, sunny morning alone with my thoughts.

jekkyl

cycling is awesome, I swear I’m addicted, always thinking about my next ride. Feeling over time my rides getting faster & being able to hold a good speed through self powered motivation is very enjoyable.
    I love being outside & riding rural roads, I feel free being able to turn off wherever I like, looking for new tracks. I also get to explore places I’ve never been before.
    I get exercise to help burn off the calories.
    I get to indulge my other passion of music, as I always cycle with tunes on. A new mix by favourite djs will always get me pumping harder.
    It’s good to have a hobby, I’m just glad I’ve got one & it’s not a sedantry one like knitting or gaming.

jedi

bikes have brought me experiences that i would never have had unless i got there by bike.
    bikes rock

hairyscary

After four weeks off the bike, injured, I have just cycled home through rain, sleet, snow, slush and ice. I now have a cup of tea in my hand and a smile on my face.
    😀 😀

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

I smile every ride, even a bad ride is a good ride

I’ve met some great people through cycling

Amen.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Whenever I sit looking out the window on another grey, wet miserable day, procrastinating as to whether to venture out or not, I always justify going out by the thought that I have never, ever regretted going riding, but have in the past regretted not going out.

As RD says above, even a bad rides a good un.

composite
    Free Member

I took a spill in the ice on the way in this morning (not so positive) but then I had 4 other cyclists stop to help me up. Reaffirmed my faith in people. I was then able to return the good deed by helping up someone else who did the same thing.

Last Friday we went to Cannock for the last ride of a specific group of mates as one of us is moving back to Canada. It was a great ride with good friends that never would have had so many shared experiences if it wasn’t for cycling. 🙂

ononeorange

Commuting is not an option so I have to suffer the hideous train ride, but my happy story is that I went out on Saturday and had an immensely tough 21-mile ride locally – it was nothing but a continuous long hard slog up through the mud (I deliberately started low down and I live quite high up). And it was sooooo satisfying for that, I was absolutely wiped out afterwards. Lovely.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Last year I met a couple from NZ, by chance on an organised ride. They were here for 6 months, and I ended up riding with one or other of them very regularly, I now keep in touch, as they’ve gone back to Dunedin, and consider them good friends. I’ll always keep in touch with them, and hope to go over there sometime, as they’re always on about it!.

All down to a chance meeting, on bikes 😀

DezB
    Free Member

I went for a road ride last Friday lunchtime and really enjoyed it. Part way round is a narrow road cars can’t use and 3 horse riders were coming down. I stopped, leaning on the verge to let them pass and they all smiled and said hello (talking horses!). The last one said “Watch out for the ice up there”. Nice.
    Going to do the loop again today 🙂

DezB
    Free Member

Gosh what a short thread. Just goes to show eh?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Sunday morning ride with Clink on the Mendips. Picked a route with well drained trails and were only troubled by two short sticky bits. Otherwise it was all fast going. Straining up the climbs, chatting on the flat bits and wheee on the descents!

It was good to catch up

richmtb

Sunday at Glentress in the snow, It was absolutely stunning, the landscape around was a beautiful mixture of white and the last of the autumn colours still poking through.

I would never have seen it if I hadn’t got out on the bike

D0NK

cycling is just ace innit

gonzy
    Free Member

i can’t wait to get back on my bike…
    i’ve been feeling pretty miserable for the last fortnight as i havent ridden due to a knackered seatpost (awaiting parts from Canada), a knackered pinch bolt on the fork lower (now replaced), a dying rear brake (needs replacing) and a knackered left arm that means i cant grip the bars for more than 10 minutes.
    i’ve been really grumpy at work because i have to now rely on public transport and at home as i can see the bike sat in the kitchen begging me to fix it up asap…
    my only comfort has been food and now i’ve gained 4lbs!!

boxfish
    Free Member

Had a very pleasant, sunny 25 mile off road ride on Sunday morning. Was planning to pop out to see a mate in the evening. It was chucking it down. I didn’t even contemplate taking the car for the journey of 5 miles. Waterproofs? Check! Lights? Check! Arrived soggy but grinning.

My commute is 3 miles. Somehow this morning, that was extended to 15.

ads678

I love riding bikes me!

onandon
    Free Member

I love dark cold rides at this time of year. absolutely love it.

SaxonRider

I commute by bike everyday, and even when I am exhausted I love the ride.

I get to ride through a nice park, followed by the university, so get to enjoy lots of nice views. :mrgreen:

jekkyl

at the pretty young lady students you mean? 8)

fatboyjon

Mountain biking can clear my head in a few minutes any time it needs clearing. Out the door, on the bike pedal away down the canal and 2 or 3 minutes later I’m on twisty singletrack in the woods and free as a bird.

sparksmcguff

Loving the pitch black, silent nights on the ways up around our way (though that was before the ice).

SaxonRider

jekkyl – Member
    at the pretty young lady students you mean?

Possibly… 8)

dabble
    Free Member

I right like bikes me, they’re proper fun and good for your health. Can’t wait to get 5 stitches out me knee and go for a ride. Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! 😀

SaxonRider

Looking back, the smileys in my two posts suggest something a little bit creepier than just happening to notice as I ride swiftly by.

Trust me. I just happen to notice as I ride swiftly by.

leffeboy

I was thinking of starting pretty much this thread this morning. I had woken up in a bit of a grump with a horrible day ahead that I really wasn’t looking forwards to. Weather was cold, wet and drizzly to boot.

However a couple of ‘good mornings’ from other dads on the school bike run and ‘hellos’ on the way in to work soon took the edge off the worst of it. You just don’t get that in a car

love it. Can’t imagine life without it

ricdiggle
    Free Member

I went over the bars on Wednesday night in Wharnclilffe woods, landed on some rocks and hurt my back.
    Every time I get a twinge of pain, it makes me think of that ride in the dark, with my friends in the woods.

professorfaceplant
    Free Member

yep, Afan this Sunday, it was cold, wet, muddy and absolutly brilliant

rOcKeTdOg

imagine life without it

My worst nightmare!

fasthaggis

Cycling has been a big thing in my life ,I struggle to think of anything negative about it.
    Without it,I would not be the person I am now.
    I am good with that.

cardo

Through simply riding a bike , I have the following;

A Great bunch of mates and social life
    interesting and varied people to ride with on a regular basis,
    Freedom from the monotony of work,
    A proper hobby that also keeps me fit,
    The opportunity to experience the outdoors whenever I feel like it,
    Something to look forward to.

We’re having our MTB Xmas do on Saturday , there’s 48 of us!!!! 😀

DezB
    Free Member

Oo-er, I just did the loop I mentioned above. Somehow I managed to not pack my cycling shorts and had to ride in baggies and boxers.
    Bit nippy!

squiff
    Free Member

Bought myself a road bike for winter riding on saturday.

On sunday went for a early morning road ride with 3 others and I loved every minute of it 😀

Did 53 miles even through it was freezing.

GrahamS

Six months ago I started making more of an effort to regularly commute by bike.

Since then I’ve shed 25lbs. 😀

weeksy

I had an Ace ride today…. and never left the comfort of the gym 🙂

tonyd

I FRICKIN LOVE BIKES ME.

I have a 35 mile round trip commute on t’road bike which I do up to three times a week. Less so lately because of the weather. It always makes the day start well.

Haven’t been MTB’ing much of late but got out early doors Sunday with a mate. Lovely crisp morning, frosty/icy but sunny and bright. Nowt better.

honourablegeorge

Positive?

I thought cycling WAS the positive bit in life….

Karinofnine

… it IS, my idea was to balance all those “cycling is so dangerous/ near miss” stories with hundreds of reports of cycle journeys that went well.

I mean, you hear about one fatality (which is very sad) but the news reader never says “And in today’s news, 1 million cyclists rode to work, they all had a really nice time, and no-one got knocked off their bike”.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 58 total)

The topic ‘let's have a positive thread about cycling’ is closed to new replies.