Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Lets be 'avin yer… rabbit recipes
  • Stoner
    Free Member

have dispatched 1x pesky wabbit from the veg garden, paunched, skinned and jointed it and it’s ready for dinner tonight.

A few years ago I had a fantastic mustard pot roast rabbit at AQR, but I forgot to ask for the recipe. It had a creaminess to the sauce that I dont think I will get from this kind of recipe:

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2010/feb/15/how-to-prepare-roast-rabbit

I was thinking of using a mustard and yoghurt marinade to get the creaminess (without the splitting). Anyone got any ideas if this is the right way about it?

oldnpastit

My dog seems to like them just au naturel….

dashed
    Free Member

Dust in seasoned flour, brown in some oil / butter. Add pint of cider and simmer for a good hour, add a good handful of peeled and chopped apples (something sharp / cooking), simmer for another 20 mins until the apples go nice and soft. Add a decent splash of cream to finish and serve.

kayla1
    Free Member

It’s nice in a curry too.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

In Crete I had deep fried rabbit and chips, it was quite spectacular.

edhornby

There is a big traditional Italian cook book called the silver spoon, it has lots of recipes for rabbit – Google will give you a fair few of them

matt_outandabout

Outdoors. With a gamekeeper in your group.
    Lots of veggies (seasonal, so we had autumnal carrots, turnip, tatties and cabbage). Wop in pan, cook for aaaaaages, add a nice gravy with red wine.
    Enjoy.
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dp8eom]Canoe river Spey[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/dp9jPb]Canoe river Spey[/url] by Matt Robinson, on Flickr

dbcooper
    Free Member

I like to let mine hang for a day or two before eating it.

Stoner
    Free Member

shot yesterday, been hung for 30hrs, flies getting too interested to leave much longer. Had to wash a load of fly eggs off already.

Currently marinading in olive oil and Dijon mustard.

I’ll got for a HFW/maoab style, pot roast (prob with cider, must pop to the pub and get some now) and then creamify it after reserving.

dbcooper
    Free Member

Had to wash a load of fly eggs off already.

I have a flyproof muslin bag, and I normally use toothpickstandoffs on deer carcass to keep the muslin an inch or so away from the meat. Never have any fly issues.
    You can “hang” a bunny carcass in the fridge.

Otherwise your recipie sounds nice.

matt_outandabout

mmmmmm, wabbit. 😀

Stoner
    Free Member

back from pub. 1 pint of cider for wabbit, 1 pint for me. *hic*

dbcooper
    Free Member

Havent you got a job?

Stoner
    Free Member

nah, I’m on bennies, me. Why else do you think I’m eating roadkill for tea?

dbcooper
    Free Member

I fancy a bit o that meself, but I can’t get any bennies, none left, all the immigrants took em, and all the jobs, and all my elf care..

Scapegoat

If you want a creamy mustard sauce, try frying the joints in seasoned flour with mustard powder if you have it, then cook in a deep pan with cider, apples and onions. Stir in a couple of teaspoons of Dijon, English and Wholegrain mustard, and cook until tender and the sauce reduced. Once the bunny is cooked, stir in soured cream or wholemilk yoghurt. You need the full fat version to stop it splitting.

Otherwise, rabbit methi on the bone is to die for.

Heat about 6 tablespoons of oil in a deep pan, le creuset style. Add four cloves, two (indian) bay leaves, a tablespoon of whole cumin seeds, two black cardomums, three or four green cardomums, and an inch of cinnamon stick.
    Add a couple of medium finely diced onions and fry until they start to brown, then add four or five chopped garlic cloves, and a teaspoon of grated ginger or ginger paste. Stir on a high-medium heat for about a minute , then add some tomato puree and half a tin of chopped tomatoes.

Stir this and let it cook until the mixture splits and the oil starts to separate. Now stir in a heaped teaspoon of coriander powder, half a teaspoon of turmeric, a good teaspoon of salt and either flaked dried chillies or chilli powder to taste. A teaspoon is “warm”, more and it starts to get a bit fiery. Stir the powdered spices into the mix, adding a drop of water to stop it sticking to the pan, then add the jointed rabbit.

Stir the rabbit in the spice mix making sure it gets well coated in the paste as it starts to colour. Once it’s changed from pink to whitish, and once again the oil starts to separate from the spice paste, add half a pint of chicken stock or water, and stir until the paste “plumps up” into a thickish sauce.

Now stir in a tablespoon of chopped Methi (fenugreek leaves) and cook over a low heat with the lid on for at least half an hour to 40 minutes. Keep checking and stirring, and add a drop of water if it starts to dry out too much. You don’t want it too sloppy if you can help it though. You can casserole it in the oven on about 140 degrees if you prefer.

Once the rabbit is tender, add fresh green chillies, a teaspoon or so of garam massala and then two to three good tablespoons of cream, or full fat yoghurt. Cook through for another minute and serve with roti or naan.

Stoner
    Free Member

If you want a creamy mustard sauce, try frying the joints in seasoned flour with mustard powder if you have it, then cook in a deep pan with cider, apples and onions. Stir in a couple of teaspoons of Dijon, English and Wholegrain mustard, and cook until tender and the sauce reduced. Once the bunny is cooked, stir in soured cream or wholemilk yoghurt. You need the full fat version to stop it splitting.

cheers scapegoat – this is pretty much the recipe Im going for. In fact joints are fried, cider in, just bringing up to temp now and then putting in oven.

that methi sounds blinding, although also as though it has a lot of strong flavours in it. Bookmarked anyway for when I nail the other lettuce-munching bastard.

globalti
    Free Member

When I was a kid we took my grandpa along for dinner at a friend’s house. She served rabbit stew. Half way through the meal somebody remarked: “Lovely rabbit stew!” I was shocked to see my Grandpa stop masticating, open his mouth and drop a bolus of chewed food with a loud splat onto his plate, which he pushed away saying in a very grave voice: “I haven’t eaten rabbit since the war!”

ourmaninthenorth

Had a very nice herb crusted rabbit shoulder at Barafina in that London last week.

Love the sound of that methi. Yum!

Stoner
    Free Member

Nom.

Scapegoat

Oooh, tasty!

Scapegoat

We shoot bunnies in industrial numbers occasionally. We sell most of them onto a farm shop to pay for diesel and ammo, but once over a local restaurant put in an order for a few dozen saddles only. They weren’t interested in the whole rabbits, but paid handsomely for the saddles alone. That left us with a large number of leg and forequarter portions. I abhor waste, so set about experimenting with various recipes. Rabbit Stifado is awesome, perhaps one of my favourites- rabbit marinaded in vinegar and bay leaves, then cooked with onions, tomatoes, olive oil and fresh rosemary.

The leftover whole leg portions were turned into tandoori rabbit. Slashed to the bone, the leg portions are marinaded in yoghurt, tandoori spice mix, lemon juice and oil for a few hours, part cooked in the oven and then finished over charcoal/BBQ. When you cook the portions in the oven, they give off a liquor from the fat in the yoghurt, which of course has a spiced flavour. If you spoon this over the rabbit in a kettle BBQ and close the lid, it creates an incredible amount of savoury smoke which flavours the meat tremendously. Served with shredded iceberg lettuce and onion salad, a yoghurt mint and coriander chutney and naan brushed with garlic butter and heated over the BBQ they proved an absolute summer winner.

On a similar theme, I boned the meat off the forequarters and minced it with pork/bacon fat (about an ounce of fat per half pound of rabbit) before turning it into seekh kebabs using bought seekh kebab mix. They were incredibly good as starters and snacks. You need the pork fat to bind the mince as it’s too lean otherwise.

ocrider

That looks fantastic.

The next time you catch one of those varmints in the veggie patch, fry it in seasoned flour (with loads of thyme) and a load of smoked lardons before adding the cider and mustard to the pot. Finally stir in a good tablespoon of honey a few minutes before serving and don’t forget to have more bread on the table than you really need because it takes more than you imagine to mop the pot clean.

Scapegoat, I’m taking notes!

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Lets be 'avin yer… rabbit recipes’ is closed to new replies.