Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Lens for MagicShine/DX light
  • delusional
    Free Member

I managed to break the lens on my DX light the other day and need to find a replacement. I know the Lupine Teslas are very similar, but nowhere local has anywhere in stock to check the fit. Does anyone know if this will fit? Or does anyone have both lights to hand they could have a quick check for me?

Otherwise, does anyone know anywhere I can get a replacement lens for one of these quicker than ordering from the States/HK?

Luminous
    Free Member

Dimensions of said lens would be helpful.
    Diameter and thickness.
    🙂

L.

delusional
    Free Member

Hard to be sure about the dimensions as the lens is now in little pieces in the rubbish, but from measuring the light itself I think it's 39mm diameter.

No idea on thickness, but at a guess: thin.

Luminous
    Free Member

Ok, the lenses I have won't fit.

I'm not really a fan of the DX light, but as you're in a jam and its up to you whether its more hastle than ordering a replacement from the other side of the world…

Perhaps buy a small as possible sheet of Acrylic, the relevant thickness (can someone else on here measure their DX light lens, please)

Then, for my prototype light, I used a circular cutter in my drill.
    The type of cutter normally used to cut large holes in the sides of kitchen units, etc, to cut out a lens.

I can give a more detailed description of "how to" if you need it.

When cutting the lens, don't go all the way through the material,leave just a thin amount and take it out of the sheet with your fingers or a needle file.

That should sort you for a homebrew replacement lens. Its a bit of DIY, and you'll have to weigh that up against ordering, paying and waiting for a replacement DX lens.

L.

delusional
    Free Member

Thanks, that's what I was considering doing if I couldn't find a replacement. Still hoping someone will be able to confirm whether or not Tesla lens' will fit, but if not I'll be off to the shops soon to look for acrylic and drill bits.

delusional
    Free Member

Just to update anyone else who's interested, I found a bike shop near me with a Tesla 5 in stock and got over there to give it a go. It looks good. Holding the end caps up to one another the lens looked a spot on fit – I didn't actually put it into my light and close it as (unsurprisingly) they didn't seem too keen on me pulling apart a £300+ light too much, but it was good enough for me to order a Tesla end cap with lens.
    As I had to order the end cap as well I'm hoping the threads will line up and I can neaten up the look of my light a little, will let you know when it turns up in a day or two.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Lens for MagicShine/DX light’ is closed to new replies.