Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)
  • Lee Quarry
  • elaineanne
    Free Member

wayhey, went here for the first time ever today, and WOW ! what a track ! what high berms and table tops thrown in right at the end when yer least expecting it… nice skills area too ! rather windy today and scarey once you reached the highest point cos theres quite a drop below !!! could do with some wooden fencing there… but hey i cant wait to get back …. yehaaaa and hopefully i will have my new orange bike thats on order as i speak.
    some challenging parts for little people like me… was abit scared of those high berms ! lol

neil853
    Free Member

http://www.brownbackracing.co.uk ! take a look and think about having a go, great place to start your racing career with two courses to choose from, a rocky and scaled down rocky one.

maybe come along and watch? Trade stands and a nice coffee van to sample

TonyL
    Free Member

Elaine glad you enjoyed it I think I gave you some slightly confusing directions I was buzing round in my van trying to rid the site of motor bikes. If you liked the site have you thought of entering the Singletrack weekender? Have a look in the singletrack shop for details. Or how about the Brownbacks race this sunday ?

TonyL
    Free Member

neil you beat me to it! Still up for a ride round rivi tomorrow?

neil853
    Free Member

evening tony, i can’t i’m afraid, my bikes in Ride-On getting some work done, bits going off to scott which is going to take two weeks!

what am i going to do?! ha ha

we will definately make it asap though! as soon as the bike is back i’m there!

more problems with MX bikes? still riding the red route?

neil853
    Free Member

i was going to email you in the moring, wasn’t sure when you were going to be in the office?

TonyL
    Free Member

I have just given my spare bike away otherwise I could have lent you one. Trials bikes and MX and kids on beaten up old things today still they all left once I got my shorts on! I have a load of barrier tape in the back of my van for the Brownbacks tell Paul not to buy any more.

neil853
    Free Member

cushdy, i’ll give paul a shout tomorrow.

are you going to be there on sunday?

think i’m going to try this scrambling malarky, going up the lakes saturday to see what its all about with a couple of mates, they have been trying to get me to do it for a while but i’ve nerver had the time with riding my bike.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Nice one Elaine. How do you like the photo of Charlotte nailing the berms, up above on the STW homepage? Let the berm take you up and make sure you look through to the next one. WooHoo and YeeHaaa indeed.

TonyL
    Free Member

Should be there on Sunday see you then

JxL
    Free Member

will be there on sunday too, not racing this time just taking some snaps 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

We were there on Monday for the first time, I was very impressed. Short, but everything was the sort of rocky riding I like to do. I’m looking forward to future building.

TonyL
    Free Member

Funding bids are in for the next phase fingers crossed!

neil853
    Free Member

JxL we have a yellow vest that will fit! come and help marshal maybe?

elaineanne
    Free Member

Tony L yep me me my son took the wrong turn after the advice you gave us… we ended up near the working quarry at first ! anyway we came back to where we saw you in your van, then saw some more red route signs…
    hey it mite be a good idea to make the red post/signs alittle larger ? they are tiney ! teehee.. anyway loved the course …pretty good…. very challenging… my son will be back shortly to try the black route…whats the black route like is it very tough…

wors

whats the black route like is it very tough…

If you can get past the first 10 yards then you can do the rest of it, very technical.

Ed-O
    Free Member

whats the black route like is it very tough…

As wors says above, the first section is a “qualifier” and when you’re confident over that, you’ll be fine on the rest.

The great thing about Lee Quarry is that the riding is challenging. The trails do not “hold your hand” and make it easy for you just to ride without thinking. You have to work out what the best line is for a section and the result is that it’s a much more rewarding experience when you get it right. It also makes the place worth visiting regularly. With the way that everything is in a small area you can just go and play on a section rather than riding a loop, like you do at a lot of trail centres. As such you learn more because you’re not just riding sections once.

we’re really lucky to have this place and it’s all just going to get better. Happy days for mountain biking in the area.

wors

it took me 3 or 4 attempts to get the first bit right.

grumm
    Free Member

Looks good, can’t wait to give it a go.

Seen some vids of the black run on youtube that make it look pretty scary – more for the big drop on one side than the technical difficulty!

Pook

Looking forward to Sunday’s race. Now, I know this is a rubbish question, but what do people recommend for tyres/pressures etc, and why?

I’ll probably just gonna pump my Fire XCs up high but hey, worth an ask!

neil853
    Free Member

Difficult that one Pook as at the last race there were quite a few punctures with a variety of tyres, including tubeless. I run 2.4 Mountain kings up there, maybe a little harder than usual but not much and i’ve been alright?

Plus its an all weather track with little mud so shallow tread tyres tend to work best, and they grip a little better on the rock too.

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

elaineanne
    Free Member

any board walks coming along in phase two ??? wud be nice…!

Pook

and how wet is it going to be?! aaagghhhh

neil853
    Free Member

board walks? are you crazy? ha ha

JxL
    Free Member

Neil – I probably will, although I will have to move around quite a bit to get some pictures first, don’t mind looking after the racers though

neil853
    Free Member

we need the marshals for the duration of the event i’m afraid, the marshals do get moved around periodically between posts but i’m afraid your stood in the same place until an organiser comes to get you to take you to the next point.

big_n_daft
    Free Member

the logs are an optional part of the course this week 🙂

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

I hope they don’t put northshore in. There’s enough available material lying around in the form of stone to have most other trailbuilders as envious as hell (trailbuilding is also about using local materials where possible). Northshore is very expensive and unnecessay here IMO, when they can just lay a load of slabs down (just look on that as stone northshore). A load of woodwork would also stand out like a sore thumb in the quarry rather than blending in.

Simon

From what I understand a lot of the stone used in the trail building at Lee Quarry was imported from elsewhere…….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

😳 Oh well, I won’t alter my post anymore.

elaineanne
    Free Member

haah gutted now ! i mite well blush ! lol….. hmmm i wonder why they imported the stone then ? ruddy heck theres enough stone lying around the quarry ?
    i didnt mean use ‘northshore’ stuff for the tracks actually, i was going to say use it for another skills area…..

TonyL
    Free Member

No boardwalk at Lee Quarry due to its maintenance requirements, also it is just not needed. Although I have got my eye on some long thin rock slabs that might get turned in to a test of balance. I think we already have a bit of a rocky north shore thing going on there it is just low to the ground.

We do have plans for developing the skills area more jumps of various sizes

We did import some stone for some of the build it came from Britannia Quarries which is as the crow flies less than 300m from Lee Quarry so I’m pretty sure that counts as local! We needed some aggregate and Aggregates Industries gave us some for free. Cheaper than getting a crusher in to Lee Quarry and making our own.

Simon

I’ll be at Lee Quarry on Tuesday evening, it’ll be interesting to see what the new bits are like.
    Hopefully it wont be quite as wet & windy as it was when I rode there with you last year Tony!

Ed-O
    Free Member

Simon it will be buff, calm and we’ll be bathed in the soft light of the sunsetting over Bacup. Like this from the “Stop Crashing” skills session last Monday night.

tombell1989
    Free Member

Pook. I would think Fire XCs will be great. Good puncture resistance in my experience. For reference, I run Maxxis Ignitors and ADvantages at 40psi and was fine in the last race.

Simon

Ed, I’ve got my fingers crossed.

This is what it was like last time, wet, windy and grey.

TonyL
    Free Member

Simon I seem to remember it was a bit grim, new bits are good Rowan def knows his stuff Big berms and some nice jumps. Forecast for tuesday isn’t great at the moment but what do the weather men know?

Ed I meant to ask how the skills trianing was going? I could do with booking myself in on a couple of your sessions!

Chase
    Free Member

Yeah, looking forward to tuesday evening. Just got to decide whether to FS or HT it. So far i’m inclined to take the hardtail.

The lean on the pic is me compensating for the horrendous gale that was blowing.

neil853
    Free Member

all ready for tomorrow are we people?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 42 total)

The topic ‘Lee Quarry’ is closed to new replies.