Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • Leave your car in gear when parked on a hill
  • scud
    Free Member

My father in law always leaves in parked in gear, so when he borrowed my an to move some stuff, i left a nasty dent in our garage door, we do live in Norfolk…

Company i work for dealt with a claim from Johnny Vaughan the TV chap, which was reported as “crashed Maserati into a skip, dog in drivers seat, he was in the passenger seat”! Turns out he had got out of his car with engine running, walked round the back of his car and dog had jumped across to the drivers seat knocking automatic in to “drive”, he chased it and jumped into passenger seat and crashed into a skip.

molgrips
    Free Member

So was waggling the gearstick.

Drac

Do people still press the button when applying the hand brake to avoid wearing out the ratchet?
    Or is it just me?

Button? Next you’ll be telling me you use a stalk to turn your wipers on.

Lester
    Free Member

i have a sloping drive, and a new lady friend was visiting, just as i was about to do the plank, there was a knock at the door. it was my over the road neighbour. he asked, who owns the red astra, i said my girlfriend, nonchlantly he said” ask her to get it out of my fence please” !
    it had rolled down my drive, across a busy road and came to rest in his fence, which there was 15ft drop behind. talk about lucky !
    cost me £200 that night to do the plank/have the fence repaired 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

Company i work for dealt with a claim from Johnny Vaughan the TV chap

Does the company you work for not have any rules about confidentiality ? 😯

IHN

Waggle the gear stick to ensure it’s not in gear. Start the car with the clutch down, then you’re turning less of the transmission with the starter motor. Continue to hold the clutch in, select a gear, release the handbrake if it’s a manual one, drive off.

Gary_M
    Free Member

So was waggling the gearstick.

Yeh exactly, I can’t believe people are crashing into things because they don’t follow the basic procedures before starting a car. It’s not like there’s a massive list, just a couple of things you should do.

Drac

One is the gun (Handbrake and Gear Stick)
    Two seat to you
    Three can I see
    Four the door
    Five alive

scud
    Free Member

Does the company you work for not have any rules about confidentiality ?

I don’t think he’ll mind, he has told the story himself a number of times and laughs about it in trying to explain why dog was in driver seat.

perchypanther
    Free Member

Five alive

More of an Um Bongo man meself.

Drac

Or he crashed his car and made up bullshit story to sound ‘hillarious’.

Drac

More of an Um Bongo man meself.

I live in Northumberland not the Congo.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Good advice, I always do. I used to live on a hill and the number of times walking down the road to the station I saw cars which had rolled into each other / up the kerb overnight just served as a reminder.

perchypanther
    Free Member

I live in Northumberland not the Congo

Northumbongria?

Gary_M
    Free Member

I used to live on a hill and the number of times walking down the road to the station I saw cars which had rolled into each other / up the kerb overnight just served as a reminder.

I’ve lived on hills before, and lived around hilly streets, and have honestly never seen this, ever.

Northumbongria?

Congomberland?

globalti
    Free Member

But you should check the car isn’t in gear using the gear stick anyway.

Why would you release the clutch without checking if its in gear or not? I’m confused.

If you’re jumping into an unfamiliar car it’s sometimes hard to know where the neutral spot is in the “gate”. I know most cars are spring biased towards neutral but that’s not always the case.

nealglover
    Free Member

If you’re jumping into an unfamiliar car it’s sometimes hard to know where the neutral spot is in the “gate”

Hehe. No it’s not 😆

It’s a piece of piss!

stumpy01

richmars – Member

Do people still press the button when applying the hand brake to avoid wearing out the ratchet?
    Or is it just me?

Nope. My Ibiza was 13 years old with 274k miles on it and the ratchet was still working fine….has anyone ever ‘worn out the ratchet’ – and no, that’s not a euphemism!

The Johnny Vaughan story is bollocks – you have to press a button to get automatic cars into drive – presumably for just this reason.
    Don’t you also have to have your foot on the footbrake too; unless perhaps it’s a car with an auto handbrake? I rarely drive autos, but think that’s the case.

Gary_M
    Free Member

If you’re jumping into an unfamiliar car it’s sometimes hard to know where the neutral spot is in the “gate”. I know most cars are spring biased towards neutral but that’s not always the case.

I would say it would be incredibly stupid for any car manufacturer to make a car that you struggled to find out if it was in neutral or not. But to check, shift into 1st then back out to find neutral, but I understand you may also struggle to find 1st 🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

you have to press a button to get automatic cars into drive – presumably for just this reason.
    Don’t you also have to have your foot on the footbrake too; unless perhaps it’s a car with an auto handbrake? I rarely drive autos, but think that’s the case.

not from nuetral.

see also; US cops jumping into US cars driving in circles on you’ve been framed!

Cougar

Waggle the gear stick to ensure it’s not in gear. Start the car with the clutch down,

What are you wiggling the gear stick for, are you expecting sudden catastrophic failure of the clutch?

Gary_M
    Free Member

You don’t always get in the car, start the engine, and move off immediately. Or do you just sit with your foot on the clutch until you’re ready to move off?

molgrips
    Free Member

Feet slip off pedals – the results are similar.

Also your clutch cable or master cylinder could easily fail – so yes.

molgrips
    Free Member

The Johnny Vaughan story is bollocks – you have to press a button to get automatic cars into drive – presumably for just this reason.

My wife’s auntie watched an old lady get killed under the wheels of her own car as she got out without remembering to put it in park and it rolled forwards.

Flaperon

If you walk up a steep hill, its amazing how many cars are out of gear with the wheels straight.

Because the vast majority of drivers are thick as two short planks and are incapable of projecting forward even slightly in time to consider consequences.

The same people will then start the car without pressing the clutch (WHY isn’t there an interlock?), or not see the slower car/bike until they’re right on top of it, or park in dangerous places, or trundle past a school at 35mph – you get the point.

Gary_M
    Free Member

The same people will then start the car without pressing the clutch (WHY isn’t there an interlock?)

You can’t start many modern cars now without depressing the clutch.

Drac

Yup all the ones I’ve had for the last 11 years you need to press the clutch to start.

toby1

@footflaps – smartarse! 😉

stumpy01

thomthumb – Member

not from nuetral.

Ah, OK. Like I say – I am not a frequent user of automatics. When I do, I generally go from P to D, which requires a button press. Even then, the handbrake is still applied so the car doesn’t start moving until that’s released.

molgrips – Member

My wife’s auntie watched an old lady get killed under the wheels of her own car as she got out without remembering to put it in park and it rolled forwards.

But, presumably this was the car just rolling under gravity, rather than under it’s own power?
    In Johnny Vaughan’s case, the car must have been in neutral for the dog to knock it into drive & the handbrake must have been off…?

I thought automatics were supposed to be easy to drive!? Sounds like a lot of room for mistakes! 😉

stumpy01

Drac – Moderator

Yup all the ones I’ve had for the last 11 years you need to press the clutch to start.

Have these all had push button start or something? The only car I can think of that I have driven where you had to press the clutch in to start was a Renault Megane with a key card & push button start.

v8ninety

is when I’ve jumped out in an emergency … not quite been at an absolute stop.

You are Bodie (and/or Doyle) and I collect my massive old fashioned paper five pound note that I could buy a second hand 3 litre Capri with…

…and the e-brake’s not applied…

Ah, errr. Here’s your fiver back. 😆

Drac

Have these all had push button start or something?

Nope. All VAG.

v8ninety

I think most (all?) VAG cars have had this safety feature for quite some time. Certainly the last two golfs I’ve had, and the work Octavias have done this.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Because the vast majority of drivers are thick as two short planks and are incapable of projecting forward even slightly in time to consider consequences.

Best post I’ve seen on here for ages and sadly 100% correct 😆

Gary_M
    Free Member

No suzuki swift, non push button start version. Although you do get versions with push button start so maybe it’s easier to make them all with the ‘depress clutch to start’ feature.

scotroutes

2008 Toyota Yaris – key start

stumpy01

Drac – Moderator

Nope. All VAG.

Weird.

My 12 plate Ibiza (VAG) doesn’t need any pedals pressing to start….

EDIT – just seen all the other replies. I obviously need to double check this. I normally start the car with foot on the clutch, but there are other times where I have either forgotten, or have leant in the car, waggled the gear stick & started the car (for example if I need to de-ice the car & don’t intend to actually get in)…..

I can’t think of a single car we’ve owned where this has been necessary
    Previous gen Ibiza
    59 plate Peugeot 308
    Ford Ka
    59 plate C3 Picasso

and the Mondeo at work (07 plate) doesn’t need it….I don’t think…

Cougar

You don’t always get in the car, start the engine, and move off immediately. Or do you just sit with your foot on the clutch until you’re ready to move off?

I don’t start the car until I’m ready to move off. Why would you?

EDIT – I’ve thought of a reason, demisting. In which case, yes, I’d pull it out of gear.

Feet slip off pedals – the results are similar.

Also your clutch cable or master cylinder could easily fail – so yes.

In 25+ years of driving, I can count the number of times either of those occurrences has happened on the fingers of one foot.

Gary_M
    Free Member

I’ve had ibizas as hire cars in spain recently and don’t think the clutch needed to be pressed to start.

I don’t start the car until I’m ready to move off. Why would you?

I can think of several reasons and if you’re saying you have never ever got in a car, started the engine and not moved off immediately then you’re not telling the truth.

nealglover
    Free Member

Other half’s 11 year old Yaris is key start and need the clutch in to start.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘Leave your car in gear when parked on a hill’ is closed to new replies.