Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Learnt new words today
  • 16stonepig
    Free Member

They are:

“Wastegate”

“Stuck open”

and

“Seven ‘undred quid”

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

alfabus
    Free Member

I spend that sort of money on a turbo some years ago.

Blew an oil seal, so sent it off for rebuild. it came back nice and shiny, but no matter what I tried, I couldn’t get it to boost properly.

Gave up and took it to a garage; they scratched their heads for a while (at my expense) and finally realised that the refurb place had adjusted the waste gate actuator to hold it ever so slightly open in its rest position – so it was never boosting.

GRR!!!

I’ll stick to bikes, at least you can normally see what is going on, and you are less likely to burn yourself by sticking your hand in there to figure stuff out.

Dave

scud
    Free Member

Have a word with Jon Clucas, he used to be a car mechanic, he may be able to give you some advice?

coffeeking
    Free Member

They are:

“Wastegate”

“Stuck open”

and

“Seven ‘undred quid”

Wastegate stuck open shouldn’t cause a large bill, it’s both easily remedied and has no side effects other than poor spool and low power problems.

However…. “wastegate” “stuck” “closed” = overboost, detonation, piston failure, turbine over-speed, compressor/turbine failure….

I’ll stick to bikes, at least you can normally see what is going on, and you are less likely to burn yourself by sticking your hand in there to figure stuff out.

Dave

I lost the tip of my finger fixing my bike, had to have it sewn back on.

geoffj

16stonepig
    Free Member

Bit late. The turbo’s already off and its space waiting for a replacement. Gash.

chewkw
    Free Member

So the turbo is gone then? 😯

Buy one at the salvage yard rather than being rip off for 700 squids.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bit late. The turbo’s already off and its space waiting for a replacement. Gash.

Presume it was stuck closed then?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Learnt new words today’ is closed to new replies.