Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)
  • Learning to surf
  • gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Yeah, I mean if you’re getting pulled out and you don’t want to be, ha

johnx2
    Free Member

…ach. Last from me on this thread. Someone should point out that, as it can be quite easy for a beginner to get to places they shouldn’t be, It’s a good idea to be comfortable with swimming for longish periods in rough open water. An experienced surfer’s ‘easy way out back’ can be a beginner’s ‘swept out to sea in a death rip…’

(Snapped a leash on saturday for the first time in ages, only one out on a Yorks reef. Plenty of time on the swim in to reflect that I should actually do a bit of swimming, this being my first since last summer.)

hot_fiat

^^good advice Johnx2^^ Remember that swimming in a thick winter wetsuit and thermal rashie is like winching up to GT’s Buzzard’s Nest car park in granny gear while towing a trailer.

The rip at Tynemouth is funny: ooh we’re off out back, oh the pool’s looking awfully close, ah we’re headed for the reef. 😯 Oh, the ferry! SHIIII….

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Remember that swimming in a thick winter wetsuit and thermal rashie is like winching up to GT’s Buzzard’s Nest car park in granny gear while towing a trailer.

And paddling to keep warm.

That was me on Sunday morning, that was.

I was utterly ****ed after 1 1/2 hours.

bigad40
    Free Member

Just give it go!
    Swim and push ups.
    Body boards are great fun too.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I had a couple of lessons in March then had another 3 surf trips over the summer and bought my first (second hand) board in December. I’m off to Croyde in March for a bit more time in the water. I love it and strangely it reignited my love for mountain biking. I think being outside and getting a rush of adrenaline on the board reminded me I really like that buzz and that I could get it on two wheels too.

mtbfix

So the swell of opinion (geddit?) is to go for it. I think we just might, weather permitting.

russ295
    Free Member

Don’t do it.

I started when I was about 21ish (44 now). Started snowboarding about the same time.
    My hard earned 4 years apprenticeship that I had recently completed was a waste of time as I quit work, bought a clapped out vw van (still got it), grew my hair and spent most days at the beach.
    Was fun tho………….

Archibald
    Free Member

jam bo – Member
    if you aren’t near the sea you lose even the near non existent skillz after about a week away it seems
    nah, once your over that learning curve its just like riding a bike.

only 3 times in the water last summer and I was still able to reo til my hips ached.

You don’t know a surfing polar bear who wears shades and reo’s supping on a drink do you? I think pigface does 😉

jambourgie
    Free Member

Keeping an eye on this thread. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. And I have family in St. Davids. Any surf school in Pembs?

Pigface
    Free Member

I do indeed 😆

reo til my hips ached.

That made me chortle I was wondering how mnay people would appreciate that.

jam-bo

It’s shame he threw his toys out of the pram here as well. He was comedy gold.

Pigface
    Free Member

The weird thing is that I met him, surfed with him, and he still went totaly mental at me 😆 Just a very strange little bloke, who fair play could surf very well but wow does he have issues 😆

Did you ever see his leaving a Land Rover site? That was quite a flounce 😆

jam-bo

missed that one. never actually met him in person. I still see the occassional post on FB as he is friend of a friend.

I saw parts of the MSW one.

Pigface
    Free Member

I cant even see his posts on FB he talks to Yoda quite a bit and he has blocked me completley. After one of our more vicious spats I was doing a weeks work in Cornwall so e mailed him to say we should sort it out and I never got a reply 😕

MSW was where mountain man was I think, he thought I was Mountain Man for some reason even though MM lived way down West and worked at a refinery. I was never on MSW either 😆

In person he was a good laugh, which makes his on line persona even more bewildering.

brassneck

nah, once your over that learning curve its just like riding a bike.

only 3 times in the water last summer and I was still able to reo til my hips ached.

Just me then 🙂

And gratz on that resurrection, nicely done.

Compton, Isle of Wight. Technically probably not the Jurassic Coast, but it describes the cliffs there very well – all on the same geological belt, or something.

Ah, the bit that fell off :-). Probably actually my closest spot in strictly cartographic terms, just the small point of the ferry.

brassneck

Keeping an eye on this thread. It’s something I’ve always wanted to do. And I have family in St. Davids. Any surf school in Pembs?

There’s a few at Whitesands. Not used any of them I’m afraid.

jimster01

Any surf school in Pembs?

Newsurf in Newgale, about ten minute drive from St. Davids.

Outerreef all over Pembrokeshire

johnx2
    Free Member
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Learning to surf’ is closed to new replies.