Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Leaking air question tubeless
  • ajf
    Free Member

Help needed as I am so close yet struggling at the final hurdle.

I have managed to get the tyre inflated using a 20″ inner tube, JRA milk 717’s and hutchinson bulldog tyres.

It continues to slowly leak air from the tyre. I am unable to pump it up above 20psi without air and sealant coming from the gap between valve and rim and also through spoke holes.

Now it holds air at 20 and below for a couple of hours but if pumped above it doesn’t hold.

Using second inner tube as thought first had a dodgy valve as it did the same thing so unlikley to be the valve in two tubes (although not impossible)

Should I just add more sealent or is their other things I should be looking at? Any tips?

uplink
    Free Member

Have you done the turning & shaking routine with it?

Seamus
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem, try going for a short ride, pump it up and then ride again. If there is enough sealant it should seal eventually. I think the riding circulates the sealant and gets it to the leaking areas.

ajf
    Free Member

continuing to do that as there is still sealant sloshing around. Also keep topping the air up then sloshing and turning.

ajf
    Free Member

I’ve had the same problem, try going for a short ride, pump it up and then ride again. If there is enough sealant it should seal eventually. I think the riding circulates the sealant and gets it to the leaking areas.

Will try that tomorrow, too many beers to be bothering with that now :-). Did you get to the bottom of yours?

My tyre recommended pressure is only 29psi but max is 50 odd? so guessing its not me putting too much air in?

Seamus
    Free Member

Not really, but it has done the same a couple of times. I put it down to the inner tube not seating completely. I guess it doesn’t take much for air to get underneath. In every case it has sealed properly after a couple of rides. I run at ~30psi. I think 40 is the max recommendation for tubeless

ajf
    Free Member

just tried pumping again and it is still leaking at the valve. Just going to keep trying to pump and shake but feel its a losing battle

ajf
    Free Member

wow its worked. Just lets out a bit of sealant and air when I ride. Not gone further than the end of the street though as I am just expecting my wheel to ping off.

I assume with a bit more milk and a few more pumps up over next day or so then the leaks will settle?

Vortexracing

When you have done a converson, put it in the bath and then it shows up the leaks, rotate the wheel so the leak is at the bottom and then do the rotate/rock thingy and it works. I also find a little more sealant to get things started works quite well. i know it’s a bit extra weight but it soon dry’s up.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

If your leaking air / sealant at the valve / spoke holes then your rim strip is not working. A genuine stans rim strip is only about £12 quid and as long as you get the correct width it will work very well.

Have you put any cloth tape under the cut-off tube/strip or sealed the spoke holes with a layer of electricians tape as that will help retain air.

With regard to the tyre leaking air/sealant, some tyres just do not seat/seal easily. Is the bulldog easy to get onto the rim? When I have had a setup that works the tyre had been a bugger to get on the rim, requiring the use of metal tyre levers and a lot of force. This usually means it will seat quite easily. Tyres that are easy to get on the rim usually prove hard to seat or just do not seat.

You can try adding one or two layers of cloth rim tape under the tube / rim strip to make the tyre a tighter fit on the rim strip, and this usually gives a tighter seal on the rim strip allowing the tyre to seal more easily.

It is a lot of hassle to get setup, but stick with it as it’s a great system once you’ve figured out how to get it working.

ajf
    Free Member

Its up and been up for a fair bit now. 2 hour ride and no deflation. Just took longer than I thought for it all to seal up.

@andy paice Bulldog is a real swine to get on the rim and seats with not too much trouble. It was the leak over a certain psi that worried me.

Can’t be the rim strip as it was ghetto so overlaps the rim unless I was a bit heavy putting the tyre on and nicked it?

Not going to check as it is playing nicely now.

duckers
    Free Member

You may need to drill out the valve hole a on teh inside of the rim a little to allow the valve to sit properly as theres usually a slight bulge on the inner tube around the valve.

YoungDaveriley
    Free Member

I’ve done a few of my own and a number in the LBS (earning my discount).i’ve only used Stans,some work straight away ,others take a while. my first Dread Tread took a while to settle,yet the second one stayed up on the first attempt.
    Soapy water on the tyre bead helps. An air line is very helpful,but a track pump will suffice.
    Another trick,is a steel bar in the bench vice at a 45 degree angle.Put the the wheel on that and give it a spin.This helps distribute the solution.
    Going for a ride ASAP is the best way to get a good seal.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Leaking air question tubeless’ is closed to new replies.