Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)
  • Le Mans 24hr this weekend 🤠
  • bikebouy
    Free Member

Well this came around quickly 🤧

Always watch as much of it as I can, I just loooove the fact that this still goes on and that there are some pretty awesome efforts behind the scenes of the less well funded (more Corinthian spirit) teams.

Shall watch the buildup, the the start, then go for supper, come back and watch until I fall asleep, the breakfast with the “what the hell happened overnight” synopsis and relax until the end.

On Eurosport – start to finish (as it should be)

I’ll give the form book some consideration later in the week….

(I wonder if Chris Hoys in it ???)

dove1

I went to the 24hr in 2015. It was a brilliant long weekend.

Put it on your bucket list and do it one year if you haven’t already.

martymac

Im off this weekend and my missus is working.

that’s me sorted.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Go go Alonso!

My brother wants me to attend the Classic Le Mans with him. I’m committed to Solverstone Classic and the F1 plus Goodwood and the Bicester Heritage do as well so it looks a busy few months.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Eh no Porsche, no Audi, no Peugeot in LMP1 ?

Is that right? Or am I looking at an old start list (via motorsport mag)

Seems Toyota have it all thier own way then 😳🤔

daviek

Get home on Thursday and it’s fathers day this weekend so my usual fathers day gift of a few beers in the fridge, some family sized bags of crisps in the cupboard and a large bar of galaxy in the fridge and that’s me set.

I’d love to see some of the non hybrid LMP1 cars give Toyota a run for their money but I just can’t see it. Also interested to see how the new vantage does.

bigdaddy

You are right, LMP1 cat is pretty much dead now. I think new regs are coming next year which might spice it up again but this year it’s Alonso’s to lose. Wonder why he picked this year to go…….?

daviek

I don’t think Alonso chose this year because Toyota are the only hybrids just more of a coincidence with him trying to get the triple crown and if he does switch to IndyCar next year he might not get many more chances at le mans

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

You can’t guarantee anything but Toyota really should win it, I’d like to see the Rebellion team beat them though. It’ll be interesting with Button racing too.

I’ve only been once 3 years ago and I was working but the atmosphere of the place is like nothing else, especially in the pits in the early hours of the morning with the constant drone of cars going past echoing off the grandstand. I want to go now!

withersea
    Free Member

Gutted not to be going this year. It should be an easy win for Toyota this year and probably next as there is a  WEC superseaon that runs until Le Mans 2019.

But never say never, another Toyota melt down is always possible.

Aston Martin and others are on about joining post 2019 and they are defining a new class to replace LMP1 with a Hypercar  category……

Plenty of potential for the future and although folk have complained about the changes, that is what has happened throughout the decades at Le Mans as manufacturers come and go as car definitions change.

Soo…I’ll be tuning into Eurosport this weekend and wishing I was there.

rmgvtec
    Free Member

I’ve just packed and going straight from work tomorrow. 7th year on the bounce. A great, cheap weekend away with mates and the Friday night party in the town is a highlight

jimdubleyou

There’s an ok documentary on Amazon Prime at the moment – follows the 2015 or 16 race I think.

Quite an enjoyable watch if that’s your thing .

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Yep. Not been for 20 years since I went down with a mate in Lotus Europa and came back via the Hackett bungee jump place. Solid gold.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ll be watching but am disappointed at the lack of LMP1 now.

On the plus side I’m in a group of 12 friends who are off to the Classic le Mans in about 3 weeks so we’ll get to see all the monsters there. Slightly embarrassingly there’s only one classic car in our group (E Type) with the other five being modern AM, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar and a Bentley.

My mate (who I’m going with) has a lovely, fully restored, Austin Healey 3000 but he’s decided he rather likes the idea of cruise control, air conditioning and a modicum of comfort so we’re off down there in one of these

🙂

May well go again in two years as a chap I know through my girls school has bought an LMP1 rolling chassis, has stuck a big Chevy V8 engine in it and is aiming to take part in the next one.

legend
    Free Member

Slightly embarrassingly there’s only one classic car in our group (E Type) with the other five being modern AM, Ferrari, Maserati, Jaguar and a Bentley.

Yes, that does seem like a terrible predicament.

I’m pinning my hopes on the new (still being drawn up) “hypercar” regs – hopefully they’ll make the fast end of the grid a proper show again (I was lucky enough to go in ’97 and ’98, so it’s all been a bit “meh” ever since)

simondbarnes

Just finished packing, ferry from Poole in the morning. Looking forward to it as always 🙂

tomhoward

Anything in the (unofficial) ‘batshit mental’ category this year? Delta wing cars? Front wheel drive prototypes?

legend
    Free Member

Nope, no garage 56 entry this year. TBH, usually its just something running bio-fuel, or something equally exciting, anyway

tenfoot

Rebellion finished 2nd in the Spa 6 hour race last month, so you never know. I’d love to see them win at Le Mans.

The LMP2 & GTE Pro races will probably be the ones to watch this year though. GTE always produces a lot of lead changes

Gee-Jay
    Free Member

@simondbarnes, the ferry trip can be exciting in its own right with all the exotic cars on it.

Am WFH today, Radio Le Mans on in the background. Happy Days 🙂

tomhoward

Boo, was hoping for a five wheeler, or maybe tank tracks

sbob
    Free Member

Put it on your bucket list and do it one year if you haven’t already.

I most certainly will.

Used to make bits of LMP cars, think I’ve got a first off gearbox selector shaft paperweight somewhere, that’s a nice shiny lump of steel.

rosscopeco
    Free Member

Missing it myself this year…would have been my 7th year. Didn’t plan it this way but kind of glad I’m not going as the LMP1 field is really disappointing.

The whole weekend is just great though…the journey there and back, the camping, the fans cars, the doughnut competitions, the beer, the town, the pits, the Friday night party, the laughs, the race, the sleepless nights, the burger / fast food stands at 4 in the morning, and the post race BBQ food!

Tickets for next year already booked (in my head / the wife doesn’t know yet…)

bombjack
    Free Member

Best motorsport week of the year. Don’t discount the other LMP1 runners. Toyota have a habit of throwing the race away, and with 30 GTE cars on the grid there is plenty of traffic for them all to negotiate. Looking forward to a mammoth TV session with RLM in the headphones as I fall asleep for that authentic La Sarthe experience overnight,

dalhalvaig
    Free Member

Well you might think about putting it on your bucket list but before jumping in let’s see what National Geographic thinks of it…

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/top-10/sporting-events/

Read it? So you see it’s not a bucket list job…it’s the Law, you HAVE to go to Le Mans!

Travelling down on Thursday afternoon, meeting up with folk on the way, should be in Maison Blanche in time for an early Friday morning fry up including Stornoway Black Pudding (also the Law) and then relax…

First time I went was 1990…this will be number 23. Saw a guy with a t-shirt a few years back which said 40th Anniversary, thought it was a birthday weekend, until I realised that’s how many times he’d been!

Can’t wait…maybe let Rosscopeco come again with us next year…

daviek

Live qualifying on Eurosport at 9 tonight.

Looking forward to seeing the cars out in anger

bikebouy
    Free Member

I caught some of the afternoon practice earlier, loving the 911’s rattling flat chat already.. 👍

I think my more normal LMP1 view will be diverted to the GT’s this year.

daviek

I’d agree LMP1 will be a wee side note this year and LMP2 and both GT classes will be worth watching

leegee

Why has quali moved from Thursday?

peteimpreza

Qualifying for the Le Mans 24 Hours is split into three sessions, one on Wednesday at 2100-23:00 BST and two on Thursday, at 1800-2000 and 2100-2300 BST. The race starts at 14:00 BST on Saturday.

milky1980
    Free Member

Went in ’07, ’08 and ’09 and loved every minute of it!  First year was solo but made some friends in the campsite.  Second year met up with the same lot and made some more friends.  Third year was solo again but made some different friends!

Was great watching the Diesel battles between Audi and Peugeot, the GT3 fight between Corvette and Aston was even better!  Need to go again but might wait until they have a decent field of entrants throughout again.  Will still follow this year via RadioLeMans on the net though.

celticdragon

I’ll be watching! GTE pro and Am will be the close ones, I really hope #98 Aston Martin gets the top step again. On paper, Toyota Gazoo are the strongest, but lets not forget Jackie Chan Racing almost won a couple of years back. Nothing is certain at Le Mans, apart from lack of sleep!

Will be interested to see how the new AM GTE pro cars get on as this will be their first real test.

Yes, I’m an AM fan and live 15 miles from Newport Pagnell!

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Where are you guys watching the qualifying?

daviek

It’s live on eurosport

hudders
    Free Member

Martin Brundle said he is racing with Chris Hoy at Le Mans this weekend.

bikebouy
    Free Member

🤩

I think Chris is a fantastic driver..

Have to check out the driver start list, cheers.

simondbarnes

Somewhere between Tertre Rouge and Porsche Curves after watching Dr Feelgood play live 😁

eddiebaby
    Free Member

Somewhere between Tertre Rouge and Porsche Curves after watching Dr Feelgood play live

I hate you. 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

Somewhere between Tertre Rouge and Porsche Curves after watching Dr Feelgood play live 😁

Nice 👍👍

If you have any spare phone battery, wouldn’t mind the odd snippet as to what’s going on around you 🤪🥊

daviek

Lots of cars going off during qualifying and the slow zones look to be spoiling it :/

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 95 total)

The topic ‘Le Mans 24hr this weekend 🤠’ is closed to new replies.