Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Laser tape measure on a plane
  • JonEdwards
    Free Member

Need to do a business flight next week via BA, hand baggage only and I need to take a laser tape measure with me. (little hand held Bosch thing)

I can see this causing issues at security, although they’re not officially on the banned list…

Have googled, but to no great success.

Anyone got any practical experience?

Ta

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Disappointed. Thought this was a sequel to Snakes….

frankconway

Call airport and BA.

JoeG
    Free Member

Is the plane on conveyor belt?

timba
    Free Member

It’s at the discretion of security staff and whether they consider it dangerous. Some countries may have specific rules as well

kayak23

Wrap it up in a sealed plastic bag covered in lots of duck tape and secrete it into a tin of coffee in your luggage.
    They’re ok with coffee.

singletrackmind

My mate had an issue with a set of brake pads for a Toyoya Landcruiser.
    Refused by security , escaleted it upstairs and let through by someone with common sense.

Maybe they thought he was going to put the brakes on the plane mid flight to slow it down.

Sandwich

Take out the batteries and have none about you person/luggage. Organise batteries to be waiting at the other end.
    Or courier the machine out to the job site.

nickjb
    Free Member

Problem with taking the batteries out is sometimes they like to see electronics working to prove they are what they purport to be. No matter what the rules you’ll just be at the mercy of the guy doing the checks. I had some string taken off me once because I could’ve used it to tie someone up. I’d chance it. Can you take a self addressed envelope to send it back to yourself if they get funny?

dantsw13

Ive just looked through the books, and they don’t come up as a restricted item. However, you are at the whim of G4S security. Personally, I’d remove the batteries, but carry them with you so you can prove it works if required. If they ask you what it is, tell them without using the word “Laser”

As a pilot I can’t think of why it should be an issue, but then I’ve had frozen soup confiscated by them, because ” If if melts it will become a liquid, and liquids aren’t allowed” I fear my subsequent points about basic chemistry principles went over his head 🙄

slowoldman

tell them without using the word “Laser”

It’s an “optical” tape measure.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

If you haven’t got a concrete answer then I’ll ask one of the airport security managers at work on Monday.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I’ve regularly taken a laser pointer with no issues, it’s never been identified or mentioned. Not sure if your thing is more dangerous in any way. I do usually have a bit of a tangle of cables and stuff which may distract them 🙂

nealglover
    Free Member

They do (unfortunately for you) look a bit like a handheld taser 🙂

If it’s totally essential you have it at the other end, I’d post it ahead of you and collect it when you get there.

Or…. use a….. tape measure (just this once) 😉

CountZero

Oops, just re-read OP’s post, as you were, carry on, nothing to see here…

wobbliscott
    Free Member

I guess if they spot it they’ll probably confiscate it fi they discovered it. I do know people who have had laser pointers confiscated – the type that are built into a Powerpoint slide advance remote thing, so not a dedicated laser pointer. I regularly get stopped because I have all my electronics in one pocket in my bag, a few different chargers, headphones, wireless mouse etc. and it just must come up as a tangled mess on the x-ray monitor so they resort to a visual. In that case they might spot it and query it. I’d have thought it was pretty unlikely though.

I don’t think removing batteries will prevent confiscation as you can just buy them airside, unless they’re a funny non-standard side.

CountZero

When I saw the thread title, I did think it was going to be some arcane query, like if you measure the inside cabin length on the ground, will it change at cruising speed and altitude.
    Is disappoint. 😐

Daffy

If it’s BA – hold luggage is usually included at no additional cost – just check the bag.

Joe

It will be fine. Don’t panic Mr Mainwaring. If anyone gets arsey then talk to the supervisor. BAA run airports seem to be a pretty sensible bunch.

notmyrealname
    Free Member

Just asked one of the security managers at Heathrow about this and he said it won’t be a problem.
    He did however mention that if they ask what it is, tell them it’s an optical measuring device and don’t mention it being a laser!

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I fly most weeks with one – never been an issue.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘Laser tape measure on a plane’ is closed to new replies.