Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Large mud tyres?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

For my Patriot. Don’t have to be super clagfest specials, but something reasonable in mud in a 2.3 or 2.4 please.

carbon337
    Free Member

2.5 swampthing?

molgrips
    Free Member

Oh should also add, not massively heavy as it gets used for XC 🙂

votchy
    Free Member

2.3 Swampthing

MSP

2.0 xcr mud, you need to compromise somewhere, you just can’t have a mud tyre that does everything.

molgrips
    Free Member

My fave mud tyres are trailrakers, but they only come in 2.1 which is a bit small for the bike, that’s all. Just wondering what else people liked.

neninja
    Free Member

Maybe a Schwalbe Muddy Mary 2.35 – 870g so not a lightweight but light enough

rewski
    Free Member

Bonty Mud x – there 2.0 though, but ace tyres

poppa
    Free Member

Maxxis 2.5″ Wet-Scream in 42 compound? Low rolling resistance, light-weight, whats’s not to like?

RealMan
    Free Member

I just use rubber queen 2.2s all year round. They seem to cope pretty well with everything.

TheFopster
    Free Member

Why a wide mud tyre? Skinny cuts through to find grip under the layer of gloop. A million CXers can’t be wrong?

wwaswas

A million CXers can’t be wrong?

mmmm… I’m not sure that’s a convincing argument. Even most cross riders would probably agree that the equipment they use isn’t the most suitable for off road riding, which is part of the attraction I guess 🙂

emac65
    Free Member

2.0 xcr mud, you need to compromise somewhere, you just can’t have a mud tyre that does everything

Conti 2.3 Survivals did…..

mboy
    Free Member

The new 2.2″ (or 2.35″ if you’re feeling brave!) Bontrager XR4 are bloody enormous for their size, don’t weigh a ridiculous amount (just over 700g each), are tubeless compatible and have a very aggressive tread pattern that’s pretty good in the mud and loose if not quite as a good as a Mud X.

Of course there’s always the Maxxis Swamp things too, more of an out and out mud tyre rather than aggressive winter tyre suitable for all sorts of conditions.

MSP

emac65 – Member

2.0 xcr mud, you need to compromise somewhere, you just can’t have a mud tyre that does everything

Conti 2.3 Survivals did…..
    Posted 20 minutes ago # Repor

To get decent grip in mud you need a narrow tyre to cut through, fatter tyres with mud treads may clear the mud and not get clogged up, but they don’t grip in mud the way a narrow tyre does. but not all of your riding will be in mud, some will be rocks, roots and fire road etc. Whatever the mixture you will need to compromise for some of your riding. Claims of a do everything tyre are as always complete BS.

molgrips
    Free Member

Why a wide mud tyre?

Because I’m not selecting a tyre purely for mud plugging. The Patriot get used on big mountain rides where there are lots of rocks and things, but I may also encounter mud. So I want a large volume tyre, but that won’t slip around in the gloop too much.

Liking the Muddy Marys, 870g is porky but acceptable. Also like the XR4s, they look pretty fast (relatively speaking).

mboy
    Free Member

Did a ride on my new XR4’s last night, they definitely roll faster than their tread pattern would suggest. OK, they’re not semi slick, but they’re a lot quicker than a Kenda Nevegal say. Just make sure you’ve got enough room for them, going to have to take it off the back of my Maverick sadly and run something else, because even though it’s a 2.2″ it is massive for a 2.2, but it’s even taller than it is wide! There’s literally not a fag papers width between the outer knobbles and the seatstays on my Maverick, so I’ll have to put something narrower in there. OK out back on a Patriot I’m sure though as there’s tonnes of room on them.

molgrips
    Free Member

Hmm, we could have a winner. What’re they like in mud?

mboy
    Free Member

Hmmm, dunno yet thats the only thing. The knobbles on them are as beefy, if not beefier than a Mud X, and they’re well spaced. Obviously not as good at cutting through due to the size, but they look to my seasoned eye that they should do the business at least better than all but a specific mud tyre like the mud X.

molgrips
    Free Member

Could be a good compromise.

nickc

Nobby Nics? It’s not a bad all rounder. I use 2.1 UST pretty much everywhere in all conditions

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve heard they are fragile.

I do use NNs 1.8 for racing in the mud tho.

emac65
    Free Member

To get decent grip in mud you need a narrow tyre to cut through, fatter tyres with mud treads may clear the mud and not get clogged up, but they don’t grip in mud the way a narrow tyre does. but not all of your riding will be in mud, some will be rocks, roots and fire road etc. Whatever the mixture you will need to compromise for some of your riding. Claims of a do everything tyre are as always complete BS.

Calm down dear,it’s only a MTBing forum…. 🙄

nickc

[shrugs/] mine have lasted all year maybe one puncture. Just put a new rear on. there’s some folks on here who’ll break anything.

Have you ripped tyres before?

julianwilson
    Free Member

do they still make the bontrager ‘big earl wet’? Like a bigger (2.5) and still sticky mud-x. I have a worn set but not for sale, i like them.

molgrips
    Free Member

I’ve never ripped a tyre sidewall in 20 years of biking.. 🙂

thepublican
    Free Member

My 2.35 swamp things weigh 780g and provide simply stunning grip in steep assorted muddy crap. Most skinny mud tyres I have tried dont corner very well…

mccett
    Free Member

Maxxis now do a lightweight single ply version of the 2.35 Swamp Thing – marked up as ‘Freeride’ if i remember rightly. LBS got some in 3 weeks ago and all sold out after first muddy night ride.

Xylene
    Free Member

2x 2.35 Super Tacky Swapthings on Ebay for 31 pounds deliverd.

Bargain.

ahwiles
    Free Member

maxxis advantage 2.4?

big as a big thing.

grippy as a grippy thing.

Northwind

“2.3 Swampthing”

He asked for something in 2.3-2.4, not a 2.15 in drag.

konaman
    Free Member

Schwalbe Blackjack 2.1. Absolutely brilliant when it comes to mud/snow etc. Rode them all winter and were brilliant compared to all the other tires ive used!

Whyte1
    Free Member

I’ve got a Bonty XR4 for sale used only a few times £18 posted

chiefgrooveguru

The Bontrager XR4 2.2 on the front of my bike is continuing to perform well in the mud. Plenty of grip and not clogging up.

votchy
    Free Member

Bonty XR4 are pish in mud, wet roots and rocks, only tyre that I have spun 180 degrees when riding in a straight line. Ran them tubeless and when i got down to 12psi frt and 14 rear with no grip i gave up on them.

Hairychested
    Free Member

I was about to say adVantage 2.4″s, beaten to it.

blaggers
    Free Member

What are the swampthings like tubeless? Do they work Ok with Stans strips on Mavic rims?

pastcaring
    Free Member

I have spun 180 degrees when riding

lol i’ve done that, don’t know who was more scarred me or my mate following.

tried swampthings for the first time on monday. 42 front 60 rear work really well, evan when they broke away it was very predictable.

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Large mud tyres?’ is closed to new replies.