Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Laptop decision – help please
  • rwamartin
    Free Member

About to pull the trigger on a new laptop.

Option 1
    17.3″ screen 1920×1080
    8GB memory
    i7 processor

Option 2
    17.3″ screen 1600*900
    12GB memory
    i5 processor

Usage – general office stuff. A bit of video editing (gopro studio).
    No gaming.

Any opinions on which is the better call? Option 1 is about £70 more.

Thanks for your help.

Rich.

Cougar

12Gb over 8Gb is neither here nor there. I’d go with the first one.

mikey74
    Free Member

I disagree: I find 12gb makes a lot of difference over 8gb, especially for graphics work. These days, 8gb is the bare minimum required to use 64 bit windows.

If anything, I’d say i5 v i7 is neither here nor there. Having said that, if the RAM can be upgraded, I’d go for the i7 and then stick another 4gb of RAM in it.

Oh, and go for the full HD screen (more important than i5 v i7 in my view), so Option 1

cp

Option 1 for me, if just for the screen res.

Memory can be upgraded easily I would imagine if it becomes an issue. It wont be an issue for office tasks.

househusband

My new Dell laptop should arrive tomorrow, ordered after a long and drawn out process. Went for an i5 5th gen with dedicated 4GB graphics card, 8GB memory, 1TB hard drive, 15.6″ HD screen. One of the computing teachers at the school at which I teach made some very good points; mainly about getting the dedicated graphics but also not to get a hybrid drive as Windows may not recognise it and the SSD’s life will shorten through defragging.

(Went for the Dell in the end as it was not only the best price for the spec but also because they also had a flash 10% offer…)

skids
    Free Member

the first one is better going on the info given. If the i7 is quad core, then it is vastly better

richmars

also not to get a hybrid drive as Windows may not recognise it and the SSD’s life will shorten through defragging.

Windows has known about SSD drives since 7, and 10 will ignore then when defragging.

ampthill

In my limited experience of laptops having an SSD was more beneficial to speed than anything else

Cletus

I would go for 1 just for the higher resolution screen

seosamh77
    Free Member

what the specific versions of the i5 and i7?

i5’s can be faster than i7’s.particularly over hte various generations. I’d check that out firstly.

But aye, i’d agree with everyone else. 12GB won’t make a great deal of difference, the the better screen and processor.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

Is the RAM removable? Is there a RAM slot free?

rwamartin
    Free Member

Thank you all for the replies. Option 1 seems to be the way to go. The memory is expandable so I’ll see how it goes and upgrade if I think performance is an issue.

I’m not a heavy PC user so it’s probably overspecified and I must admit to being tempted with a £399 special from PCWorld as it’s only going to replace an old Acer that self destructed last week, but equally it’s a shame not to futureproof myself a bit when the cost isn’t massively more.

Did like the look of the Macs though…….

Thanks again.
    Rich.

captain-slow
    Free Member

Personally the question I would be asking is why buy a laptop when you want such a big screen?

FuzzyWuzzy

Also bear in mind the quality of screens varies wildly, what are the specific laptop models you’re looking at?

cp

Personally the question I would be asking is why buy a laptop when you want such a big screen?

??????

not to get a hybrid drive as Windows may not recognise it and the SSD’s life will shorten through defragging

I’d get a new computing teacher

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Because the tower is a little hard to put in my hand luggage was my reason, that and the monitor. Personally spending plenty of time away from home having a proper sized screen and decent sized keyboard on the laptop is great. Having to use those hi res but tiny screened things is a right pain.

Currently say with 2 17″ laptops running in my hotel room…

Cougar

Also bear in mind the quality of screens varies wildly, what are the specific laptop models you’re looking at?

I’d bet that the higher res screen is also a higher quality panel.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Laptop decision – help please’ is closed to new replies.