Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Lake District family walks for 5 & 7 year olds??
  • ads678

Anyone know of any suitable walks in the lakes for kids 5&7 year olds. I’d like to get up a hill for a nice view but I don’t want to push them too hard!!

Teetosugars
    Free Member

Loughrigg terraces are ace, busy, but nice views, and easy enough.
    Crinkle Craggs would be good too.
    Again, great views, and apart from Bad Step, nothing too taxing.

unfitgeezer
    Free Member

Walk up to and past Sweden bridge (Ambleside)

http://www.walkingbritain.co.uk/walks/walks/walk_b/3519/

badllama
    Free Member

Ambleside round Loughrigg Fell along the side of Loughrigg Tarn then back down Loughrigg Terrace 6 miles.

Start with the steep climb above the town (tarmac road) then once that is out of the way very easy under foot, stop over looking the Tarn to have a butty then back via Loughrigg Terrace.

Nice walk, nice views. Taken a few dates on it when there hill walking skills have been a bit dubious you could do it in trainers TBH 😀

slackboy

Blea Tarn in Langdale is nice, steepish walk up, swimming when you get there, possibility to carry on further if you are up for it.

Blea Tarn

ads678

Cheers, i’ll have a look at those. I was hoping for some biking with my lad as he’s just had a cast off his broken thumb, but the docs have said no biking for another two weeks. Nice walk in the lakes should be a good substitute though. Although the weather looks crap for the weekend!!

Harry_the_Spider

We’re doing Ingleton Falls* of Friday with the kids ( 6 & 8 ) as the weather looks OK. The rest of the weekend looks bobbins.

*Not quite The Lakes, I know.

ads678

Not a bad shout that though HtS. Food for thought…..

Garry_Lager

What about Scafell from Wasdale Head? Weather forecast too poor for this weekend, but generally might be OK for little legs? Weighing it up for our two – taking a gigantic bag of maltesers to keep spirits from flagging.

TomB

Where are you based?

The classic answers for north lakes are catbells or castle crag. Both short and steep, fun safe scramble bits and great views.

langylad
    Free Member

Gummers How, further down Windermere than most of the crowds will be, and it’s a great little up and down with lovely views.We used to do it a lot as kids.

fatmax

Cat Bells overlooking Newlands / Keswick / Derwent Water – love it, and so do my kids (now 7 and 9), family tradition now. Both of them could do it at age 5.

globalti
    Free Member

Tarn Hows is a lovely place for a gentle walk, I sometimes take non-walking overseas visitors there for a stroll. There are plenty of places for picnics and kids can look for the copper coins hammered into fallen trees.

Not far from there the flooded slate quarry at Hodge Close is amazing to explore under adult supervision, and you can incorporate that into some nice easy walks.

Don’t overlook the South Lakes peninsulas; places like Cartmel are smashing; you could go to the races and there are loads of cafes.

Angle Tarn opposite Patterdale is an easy climb and safe for swimming, Mrs Gti and I skinny-dipped in there on our first ever night together, camping on the little peninsula.

Spud

The National Park do a pack of walks for families; Miles without stiles. Most of their visitor centres have it. Was great when our two were little.

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Crinkles in q ambitious for a 5 yr old?

Loughrigg
    Tilberthwaiet/Hidge Close rounds including Cathedral Cave – kids would love cave and Hodge Close – easy loop with lunch at three shires
    Holme Fell
    Tarn Hows with Tom Heights
    Castle Crag/Barf if in the North
    Catbells
    Ullswater lake shore with ferry

Spud

Should add that ours only 10 & 8 now and have been up to the tarn/ reservoir on the Old Man. It’s not difficult for them, just lots of up. Chips and drinks at the Black Bull gave them extra encouragement!

ads678

Loads of ideas, cheers.
    I’m in Leeds and was thinking of cat bells or ullswater including the steamer but i’ve never done cat bells and wasn’t sure if the steamer was running atm.
    I’ll run the suggestions past Mrs 678.

mark90
    Free Member

I came to recommend Tilberthwaite/Hodge Close/Cathedral quarry, but see it’s already been mentioned.

tenfoot

An easy walk to try out their enthusiasm would be from the road behind Latrigg, circling round, on to the top, and circling back round to the car park. Some lovely views of Derwent from there, without too much climbing.

djglover
    Free Member

We were up Loughrigg at the weekend, the twins are just 7 and they absolutely loved it. I do think you need to keep up the interest for them as some dull trogs up hills will kill the fun for everyone…

Highly recommended

I certainly wouldn’t take these two up Crinkle Crags just yet…

ir_bandito
    Free Member

Catbells is a good one, couple of nice scrambles and killer views, but it can get busy for that reason. Just round the corner is Barrow which has turned into our family favourite

Further north, Trusmadoor is magical. Head up Brockle Crag from Orthwaite and up BurnTod Gill. Amazing little valley for picnics and dam-building. Charltron Gill is similar, see if you can find “little Blencathra”

Brothers Water is a nice one too, although maybe 5 & 7 may be too old for boring stuff. Nice easy walk by the water, picnic where Dovedale Beck and Hogger Gill join, and go scrambling up Dovedale waterfalls.

Another good one is Aira Force, and up onto Gowbarrow above it.

Edit: If the forecast improves next week, I’m hoping to jr_bandito#2 up Catbells (he’s 3) and jr_bandito#1 (he’s 7) up Grizedale Pike.

jwt
    Free Member

I’ll second Gummers How and Tarn Hows.

martinhutch

Steamer should be running from Keswick – get the boat around to the far side of the Lake, up Catbells from that side (slightly less busy), down to play by the Lake then pick up the boat back a bit further north.

andytherocketeer

Round Loweswater or Buttermere?

The lakes isn’t just about going up hills.

Also handy when the weather is pants up the hills.

Aira Force too, as above.

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

A stroll round Chester’s gift shop

Tarn Howes
    High Dam
    Beacon Tarn
    Coniston Old Man
    Harter Fell
    Lion and the Lamb
    Claife Heights
    Loughrigg
    Styhead Tarn
    Tilberthwaite to Elterwater

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Lake District family walks for 5 & 7 year olds??’ is closed to new replies.