Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)
  • Laggan Wolftrax Cafe
  • druidh
    Free Member

The shop, cafe and uplift at Laggan are all closing down in October.

As for the general level of service on Scotland, I must be incredibly lucky because I never have any problems and I probably get around the place more than most.

gonefishin
    Free Member

Any idea why Driudh? Is it that they can’t really make a go of it or is there more FC stuff in the background?

swavis

Oh I hadn’t heard that either. It really has gone a bit downhill though. I take it they’ll be concentrating on the Grantown shop, which is fine by me as it’s only just up the road 😀

Alcopop
    Free Member

Shame to hear its all closing,never had major issues
    With the cafe …seahouse are you implying shoddy service
    is a Scottish phenomenon?
    as Ive always found that the couldn’t give a toss attitude
    stretches far and wide
    anyone know what’s happening to the cafe/shop at Ae?

bruneep

[Sometimes though the standards of service in Scotland really lack what it should be]

I have found the further away you go from the big cities the service is lacking all over the UK.

Bar/food service in the Torridon inn was fantastic. Can’t recommend it enough.

convert

I’d say service in terms of friendliness in general is pretty good in the Highlands – never felt the need to make generalised negative comments.

Re Laggan – shame it’s all going – I wonder if this is politics/the need for capital investment thats not coming or lack of trade? There are plenty of places in the area with less apparent business that seem to be surviving. The cafe has always been just about OK when I’ve been there – nice enough food and drink but not always super welcoming. I too have had to cut into converations between serving staff and obviously well known punters/their mates to actually get served with looks that make you feel you are a bit of an inconvenience.

I hope this dosn’t mean they are going to let the trails standard slip too.

cynic-al
    Free Member

druid – where did you hear that?

jimster
    Free Member

Could that be the end of the “season”? We were up there last year in September and the place was pretty quiet, admittedly the weather was absolutely attrocious so probably put a few folks off.

Just for the record, I used the trails on two occasions and the cafe was closed on both. Trails were excellent tho. 😀

Northwind

it’d be a real loss if the shop/cafe was to shut there. Stupid, in fact, since they’re part of what makes the centre what it is and they help to attract people- and wolftrax has been a massive success in terms of local benefits.

I think both shop and cafe could be better, though- cafe is a bit erratic and it does look a tip these days, though tbh I don’t have any problem eating there either.

druidh
    Free Member

The Laggan Forest Trust (a partnership between FCS and the local community) has a project to develop the trail head area. That would include a new shop, cafe, meeting area and possible a campsite. I don’t know how much progress has been made or when it would likely open.

notlocal
    Free Member

FFS! I take it most of the folk complaining have never spent any time outdoors camping etc? The staff at Laggan operate a service in the middle of nowhere, in makeshift accommodation, and you expect starbucks/Costa(insert coffee house of choice) get a **** grip.
    ‘Ooh my half caff, skinny mochalatte is cold’ shame!

user-removed
    Free Member

Just a smile and some friendly chat would suffice 🙄

The nearby pottery / cafe / bunkhouse is a shining example of very pleasant service, good food and hot drinks. No-one expects perfection but it really isn’t that hard to train staff to smile.

EDIT; This place is the pottery / bunkhouse.

athgray
    Free Member

I find if I want the feeling of camping, I tend to go camping. I have never had bad service at Laggan, however it appears many have. In reality if a business is in the middle of nowhere wants to succeed it will have to work doubly hard to try to ensure people will want to travel that far to use it.

SimonR

Another vote for the cafe in the pottery down the road.

Always make a trip to Laggan Stores too for trail treats – the guy who runs it is a real star.

Service at the cafe at the trail head is bloody awful …. food is ok but they’re just unbelievably miserable. A smile costs nothing 🙂

mdavids
    Free Member

I called in for a coffee a couple of months back after riding the trails, probably the first punter of the day as it was quite early. The service was fine but quite shocked to see the previous days dirty dishes piled high whilst the single member of staff was busy doing her crossword. Created an instant bad impression.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Wolftrax needs a significant investment in infrastructure at the trailhead. When the current operators won the tender at the start of the project, I’m certain that they would have thought twice if they knew that 8 years later they’d still be operating out of Portacabins. I’m sure that perpetual Portacabins wasn’t the deal they signed up to. I have some friends who considered tendering and quitting 9-5 jobs when the Wolftrax ball started rolling. They are very glad they didn’t now.

As far as I am aware FCS have stopped investing in Wolftrax, and the income for trail development/maintenance is the carpark takings. FCS don’t even supply material anymore.

The sad thing is that Laggan is a small trail centre where small loops return you to the cafe area. Ride, coffee, ride, cake, ride… It is a formula that works well, particularly with mixed ability groups or kids. Wolftrax also needs a longer easier route like a blue. The current orange was blue, but was re graded following injuries and a re-sculpt.

Maybe someone else will come along and take over the Cafe and Shop, but would YOU with “buildings” that are in that state?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Never mind dmbins or whatever the acronym is will sort it out, With their 250,000 a year budget.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

You can have bad experiences anywhere, I tried to book accomodation at the Pottery bunkhouse but they never answered the phone or returned my messages so I had to find somewhere else. We spent last weekend at Comrie Croft and although I can’t report on the trails the cafe was excellent, their carrot cake is very good and the skills loop and pump track is well situated nearby. Hope they succeed and manage to increase the amount of trails they have.

onehundredthidiot

Hope it gets the upgrade. Food was fine if arrival a bit sparodic but I have to agree about the staff, not the most welcoming or happy, on the several times I’ve been, and customer seemed to be second.
    Mind you the Peel centre has lost my custom too. Longest wait for mediocrity in a while.

grum
    Free Member

Most of the best tourist/customer service businesses in Scotland are run by English people. 😉

That’s a real shame, I love Laggan. It’s been really busy a few times when I’ve been there too. The uplift is probably a wee bit short to be really worthwhile though.

Davesport

As always there are two sides to every story. My understanding of this is in line with Druidh’s, although I thought the shop may have been staying.

I’m glad to see Wolverine has decided to put their side of the story on here for everyone to read. I have never had a bad day out at Laggan. I’ve always found the service to be great & the staff friendly & helpful to a point above & beyond etc. Where else can you get an 8 speed cassette supplied & fitted at 09.00 in the morning with a smile & for the price of the parts ?

If & when the facilities do close I for one will miss them. It’s usually the first & last stop for me on any highland trailcentre roadtrip & the place has a lot to offer.

I wish Lindsay & Gail all the best for the future & for all the hard work they’ve put into Wolftrax.

Dave.

druidh
    Free Member

http://www.lagganforest.com/projects.asp

LFT Business Development Project
    The Laggan Forest Trust team are currently working on the LFT Business Development Project. This will result in the creation of a new Forest Centre at Laggan Wolftrax at Strathmashie. The new facilities will be designed for the benefit of visitors and the local community alike. They will include a bike shop, café, toilets and showers, as well as workshops and space for events and LFT’s office. Watch this space for further news as developments progress

fasthaggis

Sad to hear about this.
    I second Dave’s best wishes for Lindsay and Gail .
    I never had anything but a good experience at Wolftrax .

At least the bunkhouse wifie will be pleased (soon to be the new cake supplier ?)
    Any time I stayed,she always sounded well pissed off ,about the cafe stealing so much of her trade.

1234bike
    Free Member

Gutted to hear the news that the cafe and bike shop is closing and that there is currently no one else taking over. Always had great service from the cafe and shop and totally perfect for refuelling wet and muddy bikers! Problem with forums relating to service industries is they’re a place for moaning and winging about not really important things! Totally wish Basecamp Bikes all the best and I look forward to the development of Glenlivet and their involvement with that.

Davesport

LFT Business Development Project
    The Laggan Forest Trust team are currently working on the LFT Business Development Project. This will result in the creation of a new Forest Centre at Laggan Wolftrax at Strathmashie. The new facilities will be designed for the benefit of visitors and the local community alike. They will include a bike shop, café, toilets and showers, as well as workshops and space for events and LFT’s office. Watch this space for further news as developments progress

Yeah, that’ll be when the funding’s in place to do the work. I for one won’t be holding my breath. From my very limited understanding of this it could be some time before that’s the case.

D.

phantomnessie
    Free Member

OK BROTHERS! I HEAR YOU!

Im a local, and live in a biking family. We love the trax, like u guys do, but, yes, the cafe has lost its way a bit. Sadly, Gail IS going in Oct, but FEAR NOT! there WILL be a cafe and a BIKE SHOP…. AND A NEW VISITORS CENTRE.

The thing is, some of us are thinking about taking over the cafe…. bring it back to its hey-day, give bikers what they need. a smile, a chat, a bog they can use, some good energy giving scran and a decent cuppa. BUT, we need to know that you guys will come back and give us another go.

Noone likes how it is at the moment, including the staff. it cant be fun trying to run something good in what is basically a shed. (also finding staff is a bitch round here…theres only about 5 people who live here lol, so we aint got a lot to work with,and it hasnt made for silver service)

the new centre wont be over the top, and theres a good fight on to make sure that BIKING is what comes first, (despite plenty of local politics)

SO, i guess this is a “holding post” – give us a bit of time, dont right the trax off yet, keep the faith, and us locals will see what we can do,

grum
    Free Member

Good luck with it all and I hope everything works out. Laggan is a great place – one of my favourites – small but perfectly formed trails.

ART

If you

bring it back to its hey-day, give bikers what they need. a smile, a chat, a bog they can use, some good energy giving scran and a decent cuppa.

then of course people will be back. If you read between the lines of all that got written up there ^^^ all people were asking for was polite, ‘give a damn’ service in a clean & cared for environment. Doesn’t seem too much for the paying customer to ask.

There will always be a market for a well run trail head cafe that understands and is interested in its customers. Look forward to being back in the area when you are up and running – good luck with it!

Spin
    Free Member

we need to know that you guys will come back and give us another go.

If you can do what you mention then I don’t think there is a person on here that wouldn’t give you a chance.

The price of a coffee and a cake is usually burning a hole in my pocket down at Wolftrax. Give me somewhere clean to sit and dish it up with a smile and that money is yours.

Good luck.

Diane
    Free Member

Ditto

Post ride coffee and cake make mountain biking what it is! 😀 AND you have superb trails – good luck!

Davesport

Phantomnessie….were you sporting a mohican hair-do the last time we spoke or am I thinking of someone else ? 8)

D.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I was there for a half day last week. I’ll visit whenever I’m in the highlands. It’s my favourite trail centre in the UK. The black trail is insane.

bikingbob
    Free Member

Phantomnessie…..|Definately keen to get up to Wolftrax as often as possible if there is a cafe to shelter/buy tea and cake in. Its my favourite trail centre and having a cafe there is essential to the enjoyment of the trails given the short nature of the loops. It makes for a great day out for a large/mixed group.

Service in cafe has been lacking at times and I’m sure the current building must be a nightmare to work in, but the relaxed feel of the building fits with mountain biking better than the likes of the new Glentress Peel.

Great to hear that you’re trying to keep the focus on biking rather than flashy “visitor centre”.

A blue trail would be a welcome addition to Wolftrax if you have any influence over the FC as it would broaden its appeal and make it more family friendly.

Viewing 33 posts - 41 through 73 (of 73 total)

The topic ‘Laggan Wolftrax Cafe’ is closed to new replies.