Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ladybower
  • Andy-W
    Free Member

Is there a bridleway that will get me up to Winhill Pike/Thornhill Brink area from Ladybower ?

Wanting to ride from the dam wall and turn left up into the trees….i have been that way before but only found a track that takes me half way up then it looks like a footpath and a lot of pushing through the heather

Its just to try and cut out the road miles to Edge Farm before the climb up to Hope Brink

Cheers

Andy

Pook

yes there is. It's in the v-graphics book. shows as a FP going from wooler knoll down to Ladybower but according to sources is a permissive track.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

There is a logging track from part way around the dam wall track that climbs up to the ridge between Win Hill and Hope Cross.

It's a bit muddy but quite ridable if you've got good climbing legs. Also quite a fun DH.

http://streetmap.co.uk/idld.srf?x=418594&y=385884&z=120&sv=418594,385884&st=4&mapp=idld.srf&searchp=s.srf&dn=822&ax=420949&ay=383574&lm=0
    Starts as a very short section of footpath shown heading south directly below the 'y' of 'Ladybower Reservoir', then take the long black dashed line (logging track) which leads to a wooden gate that leads to the track leading southwest off the black dashed line and heads to the 340m contour tag and leading to the ridge by the 'Wooler Knoll' text

Pook
    MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yep thats a regular for me, a good climb but the top section is filth at the moment!

EDIT – i think it has a bridleway sign at the bottom??

AndyPaice
    Free Member

Pooks track leads to the same wooden gate as the one I'm on about. Pooks leads in from the northeast, while mine links in from the west.

I've ridden both and there's not much between 'em. which one you take depends on the direction you're approaching from around the reservoir track. If you're coming from the dam wall you'll have to go a long way past mine to get to Pooks track, and vice versa.

Pooks in blue, mine in yellow

AndyPaice
    Free Member

EDIT – i think it has a bridleway sign at the bottom??

I've always thought it was a bridleway, but the bottom section is shown as footpath. If it's used as a logging track then I don't think bike will be doing any damage

unstableJ
    Free Member

Andy/Pook you're both talking about 2 differnt paths/tracks that end up at the same place at the top. Both permissive bridleway as far as I'm aware.

If you're coming from the dam you want the one Andy refers to. There is a sign on that one, top of a small rise next to a bench under a tree, starts across the grass then bears left, there's a footpath going straight up Winn Hill that you don't want. Keep going for just over a kilometre then go 90 degrees left and up through the gate (which is where you'd meet the track Pook refers to), keep going up and you'll end up coming out of the trees above Hope Brink.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

unstableJ – Member

Andy/Pook you're both talking about 2 differnt paths/tracks that end up at the same place at the top.

AndyPaice – Member

Pooks track leads to the same wooden gate as the one I'm on about. Pooks leads in from the northeast, while mine links in from the west.

I know 😉

unstableJ
    Free Member

You'd already beat my post to it there Andy!

Pook that track you're refering to it pretty steep but just about ridable up when it's not totally wet through. The last bit across the field is a slog across grass and a mare when wet.

It's no where near as good a descent as the Hagg Farm hairpins so I've only gone down it once, it's alright for a change but you have to drag yourself across those wide open fields above Crook Hill Farm which I'd only do on a dry still day.

AndyPaice
    Free Member

As J says,

the lower section is muddy/leafy/pine needles on a landrover track. Steady slog up through the woods to farm fields. Then quite steep climbing on soft grass across fields. It's a bugger of a climb (draggy) unless it's hard baked in summer. Not bad as a DH but not exactly challenging

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ladybower’ is closed to new replies.