Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Ladies on 29ers?
  • mcboo
    Free Member

Pal of mine just bought his wife a Giant 29er hardtail. Not sure why they went for a big wheeler but there you are. She's pretty tall (5"9 I think) and very fit, but I'm wondering if there is any upside to one of these over a 26" bike for anyone under 6ft tall?

Will be for pootling about with the kids but knowing her, I reckon there is a good chance she will get right into the sport. Just hope she hasnt started out on the wrong bike. Ladies?

clubber
    Free Member

It depends really. You'll obviously have the 29er benefits and drawbacks but there is a risk in the smaller sizes that you end up with toe overlap or an overly long wheelbase to avoid it.

For pootling, it's unlikely to be a problem.

tragically1969
    Free Member

Stupid question, but do they know what they have bought ?

She is probaly carrying a pocket full of 26" tubes around as spares !!

momentum
    Free Member

Quite a few American XC racers are moving over to 29ers, including women of that height or under, because they are faster for that kind of riding. If she's starting by pootling about then I guess she'll be on fairly non-technical tracks so a 29er will smooth out the bumps and be faster without any issues to do with wheelbase or wheel strength. To be honest, it's not the bike that will make or break her as a mountain biker, it's whether she enjoys it or not and wants to do more. If she does than any reasonable decent bike will be fine!

singlespeedstu

The female british singlspeed champion rides a 29er and she's under six foot.

But I see what you're saying she could have bought the wrong bike.
    Afterall who'd want to be seen on a Giant. 😉

thekingofsweden

Hey 🙄

mcboo
    Free Member

They live in Switzerland, I reckon a 29er could be a fantastic high trail bike for all day rides in the Alps but I can't imagine it being a whole lot of use on anything twisty and steep.

…..so maybe in time she's going to need to 2 bikes or more like the rest of us. 8)

bedmaker

29ers are fine for people under 6 ft. They are also better on twisty steep stuff than 26ers, less chance of endoing and just as chuckable if you get the right one.

rOcKeTdOg

i ride a 29er, so yea they're fine for women

I can't imagine it being a whole lot of use on anything twisty and steep.

i'm as bad at steep twisty stuff on the 29er as i am on a 26", i haven't found a difference yet

bigsi
    Free Member

I'm with bedmaker on this. I find my 29er better on the steeper stuff as it seems less like I'm going to go over the bars….. I am 6'5" though 🙄

mcboo
    Free Member

well I will take my musings re: steep and switchy back, heading out there this weekend so lets see how she gets on……nice to have rich friends who live somewhere fabulous.

trio25
    Free Member

I ride a 29er, love it!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Ladies on 29ers?’ is closed to new replies.