Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Knocked off my bike last night. Advice please.
  • chunkychew
    Free Member

(I've just read underthesun's post from yesterday. Sorry for asking a similar question but the details of this incident are different, and I didn't want to hijack his thread).

Riding home last night (with lights on my bike). Approached a junction, signalled and moved across into the middle of my lane to turn right. I was about 10-20m from the junction and slowing. A car (I have his number plate details) turned left into the road I was travelling down, about 90% on my side of the road and hit me head on then failed to stop for a metre or so. I have a witness who has stated that I was visible, and riding correctly and that the car driver was at fault.

After a bit of swearing and shock, I asked the driver for his details. I got his name, address, postcode and phone number. He said he didn't have any insurance details on him, and that I was to phone him "meet at his place in town and sort it out".

I got home, checked his adress against his post code. No match. Reported him to the police. Flase name, adress and post code. I'm assuming he's also uninsured.

So, where do I stand with regards to damage to my bike (wheel and probably brake a write off. Forks may be bent back too), damage to me, and compensation?

Thanks

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

You have his number plate. I wonder if that is false? Tere is some way of tracing number plates that can be accessed by the public

You can make a claim from the motor insurance bureau http://www.mib.org.uk/Customer+Services/en/Making+a+claim/default.htm

kimbers

i know its too late now but camera phones are great get his mugshot!

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Presumably the police will track him down by his number plate.

Although if he's uninsured getting cash form him will be a ballache, probably involving the courts and getting it back at a rate of 50p a week for 50 years.

chunkychew
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – I did wonder about his plates being false, but the police ran a check whilst I was in the station. Some details appeared on the screen (which unfortunately I couldn't see!) and the officer commented about the owner being known to the police. Hopefully this means they will do something. Cheers for the link, I'll look into that. Has anyone here ever made a claim this way before?

Kimbers – I have an iPhone. Have you seen how bad those things are in the dark! I should have tried though, but shock makes you forget these things.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Knocked off my bike last night. Advice please.’ is closed to new replies.