• This topic has 21 replies, 14 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Moe.
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Kitchen scales
  • Moe

Can anyone recommend some digital ones?

Mostly to be used for baking cakes.

Thanks!

glasgowdan
    Free Member

Salter do exceedingly good scales. ARC, Flat black basic one, really good, accurate, cheap, easy and survived many drops onto the floor.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Ours are Elsay, selected by the Mrs who is very particular about such things )can’t seem to find them on google, they would have been bought in France so perhaps not available here)

lemonysam
    Free Member

We have two sets of these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Salter-Stainless-1035-SSBKDR-Electronic/dp/B00140VYBE

We’ve used them to make literally thousands of loaves, cakes, biscuits, roasts… Basically they’ve been used daily for the last five years or more and have stood up to everything.

I much prefer them to the style with a disc surrounded by a lip as it works with broad based bowls and jugs or blobs of dough. They also beat the ones with the display in the platform as they’re more visible with big bowls on.

edit: …another recommendation would be that both of the bakery schools I’ve been to have had them as the scales to be used by the punters.

edit2: I do occasionally lust after these though: http://bakerybits.co.uk/kd8000-bakery-scales.html

integerspin
    Free Member

I bought these salter scales to weigh engine parts, When I can’t find them they have walked off to the kitchen. I think I got them in 2005.

JoeG
    Free Member

Surely this one! 🙂

Cougar

Salter do exceedingly good scales.

Ten year warranty on most of them too.

Moe

Salter it is then, thanks!

As an aside, our mechanical scales live on top of the microwave, is that likely to be an issue with digital?

nealglover
    Free Member

A “what scales for baking cakes” thread.

We have reached Peak STW.

thetallpaul
    Free Member

I have to admit to purchasing Salter Heston Blumenheck dual scales.
    Has two scales, one for bulk ingredients with an accuracy of 1g and one for small weights accurate to 0.1g. The little one is useful when weighing yeast accurately for bread.
    Come in a lovely box too.

Livin’ the dream.

stumpy01

We’ve got one of those Salter Stainless scales above (the rounded design) and it seems fine.

antigee

some of us like baking cakes!
    recently purchased some Soffritto scales notable for the bizarre idea that when not using for the intended purpose the display shows the time – reminder to designers: just because you can doesn’t mean you should

nealglover
    Free Member

some of us like baking cakes!

I do too.

But come on, how STW is it to feel the need to ask for advice before buying* a set of kitchen scales 😆

(* pulling the trigger on)

antigee

fair point but you could end up having to look in the kitchen drawer every time the kids ask if it time to get ready for school 8)

Moe

You google ‘kitchen scales’ and the return is mind boggling, the STW hive is always the place to go! It’s what the ‘Chat’ section is for surely? Anyway cycling and cakes go hand in hand …… unless yer really hardcore affleet?

….. that’s it, Neal’s envious cause he he can’t eat cake and win races! 😉

aracer
    Free Member

I have to admit, I will no longer tell somebody to google, because asking here tends to elicit far superior results (and I’ll ask about things I could google, because it will save me lots of time and keep people who like to display their knowledge amused).

Cougar

I find STW is invaluable for “trusted opinion.”

(And bollocks, of course.)

doris5000

one for small weights accurate to 0.1g. The little one is useful when weighing yeast accurately for bread.

my student housemate had one of those. I hadn’t realised he must have been such a keen baker 😉

Scapegoat

Can’t you just stand on the bathroom scales, first with, then without the ingredients, subtract the difference and then argue about the pedals? The usual answer is “about 29lbs.”

lemonysam
    Free Member

and one for small weights accurate to 0.1g. The little one is useful when weighing yeast accurately for bread.

Agreed, very useful – I have one of these for that:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Smart-Weigh-SWS100-Digital-Pocket/dp/B00EPO9M2Y/ref=sr_1_1?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1445354299&sr=1-1&keywords=gram+scale

£7.99 and works perfectly.

nealglover
    Free Member

that’s it, Neal’s envious cause he he can’t eat cake and win races!

I can do one of them extremely well.

Moe

😀

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Kitchen scales’ is closed to new replies.