Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Kirroughtree: How do you pronounce it?
  • Bagstard
    Free Member

I have heard several different ways of pronouncing Kirroughtree, can anyone phonetically spell it for me please?

Stoner
    Free Member

"gerrr-offffff-meeee"

Drac

Ker rock tree

is my guess

nbt

Ki – rug – tree is how I've always heard it pronounced

Big-Pete
    Free Member

nbt +1

Macavity
    Free Member

Surprisingly, as it is spelt.
    Ki as in kick
    rr is obvious
    ough as och in loch
    and tree
    more importantly is not to try to make it sound like it is several words
    but just one word.

ahwiles
    Free Member

'kirrertree'

i know it's probably 'wrong' but i've Anglo-cised it.

after all, Munich isn't Munich, it's 'Mun-chunn' – etc, but we've Anglo-cised it.

thefallguy
    Free Member

+ one for Macavity, as I found out in a bakers shop in Dalbeattie-poor woman behind the counter asked me where we were riding and it took her a minute or two to work out that I was trying to pronounce Kirroughtree-doh! I was using an anglicised version like awiles

tandemwarriors

nbt+1 & macavity, having been told off by the lady in the teashop for pronouncing it wrong!!!

ahwiles
    Free Member

ask her to pronounce 'cogenhoe'

when she get's it wrong, tell her to cock off.

Bagstard
    Free Member

I was talking to someone who had been there recently and they pronounced it Kilitree!!!

Chances of me spending time in tea shops is ver high and I don't want to offend anyone.

elaineanne
    Free Member

i say it how its spelt ! kir-rough-tree

banginon

+1 Macavity

also Ae is just 'A' as in abc and Mabie as in maybe I will maybe I won't.

rudedog
    Free Member

I live about 30 miles from it and its pronounced Kirroch-tri but without much pause between the parts

The only acceptable Anglicised version would be Kirrock-tri

grumm
    Free Member

Surprisingly, as it is spelt.
    Ki as in kick
    rr is obvious
    ough as och in loch

So not how it's spelt then. 😉

Kit
    Free Member

also Ae is just 'A' as in abc and Mabie as in maybe I will maybe I won't.

So how do you pronounce 'Drumlanrig' then Rik? 😉

Trekster

Castle Douglas is just plain C.D.

Dalbeattie in a local accent is D` batie..the a being sounded sa itself a 😮

Kirry is Kir off tree or Kir och tree

Beagleboy

Hmmmm, the lady in the garage at the end of Newton Stewart explained to me it was pronounced as 'Elaine-Anne' up there 🙄 describes it.

Kir-ruff-tree

But I'm from Bonnybridge, so anyone who can speak with joined up letters sounds a bit funny to me.

B. 😆

philfive
    Free Member

Which tea shop was it? we stopped off at the David Coulthard museum of mediocrity.

Macavity
    Free Member

Kirkcudbright = Kirkcoobri
    Torthorwald = Torwald
    The surname Tough: think tuoch, tu as in touch and ugh like och as in loch.
    The geographical feature Haugh (or place name eg Haugh of Urr)
    is (soft H) hau like haw as in hawthorn, and ugh like och as in loch.

Kirroughtree repeat after me Kirroughtree
    It is quite simple really.

Kit
    Free Member

Torthorwald = Torwald

I've always pronounced that "torthorauld" i.e. with a silent W. Likewise Tinwald.

And Dumfries is pronounced "skeemie shite hole" 😉

(I was born at the Cresswell and went to both primary and secondary school in Dumfries, before anyone asks me to validate my credentials 😀 )

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've always pronounced it kirrotree and never had any questions raised. I'll ask the locals 🙂

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

Kit. You are an ar5e hole. Yeah some bits are bad but a lot of Dumfries is fine.

Gary_M
    Free Member

As Macavity said. Although I don't think many english folk can pronounce it properly – as in the 'roch' part, it's the same way 'loch is pronounced, if you pronounce loch like lock then it's not right.

banginon

I live about a mile from Torthorwald and it's pronounced kinda like T'thorold, first o silent second o and the wa sounded as in otter . My village is Collin is pronounced Ku'lin with the emphasis on lin. Lots of Norse round the coastal parts here – Castle of Thors wood.

And Drum – lan – rig is easy to say and a very nice place to ride 😉

Kit
    Free Member

Kit. You are an ar5e hole.

Bite me. Born and bred in Dumfries, but it's just my opinion and clearly not representative of those who still live there. The town's nice, but populated largely by narrow minded folk. Or it was when I left for more cosmopolitan pastures 12 years ago. I do still get looked at funny when I stop in Tesco – they're probably trying to figure out why I'm not related to them in any way…

coffeeking
    Free Member

Bite me. Born and bred in Dumfries, but it's just my opinion and clearly not representative of those who still live there. The town's nice, but populated largely by narrow minded folk. Or it was when I left for more cosmopolitan pastures 12 years ago. I do still get looked at funny when I stop in Tesco – they're probably trying to figure out why I'm not related to them in any way…

Thing is that everyone falls into 2 groups WRT their home town. They either love it or hate it.

bluebird
    Free Member

Kit – I'm not having a go, but out of interest, how old are you?

I live in Cov and some people slag it off all the time and I think "well, f*** off then and live somewhere else". I can never understand why adults would live somewhere they think is crap.

fisha
    Free Member

i pronouce it kirrau-tree

but i've heard others ki-ruch-tree

simonralli2
    Free Member

This piece on Dumfries' Facebook page is written by those who live there, but does contain mild swearing

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=5590218749&topic=3209

[It's my hometown and place of birth too! Oh, and I have often considered getting a pad there if I thought I could get work there.]

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I'm 37. Brought up in Lochmaben but now live in Dumfries.

The local primary school gets good HMI reports so ideal for my young family.

Sure Lochside & Sandside are rough but you get that most places.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Kirroughtree: How do you pronounce it?’ is closed to new replies.