Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • King of Shaves 'Azor' Razor…
  • bravohotel8er
    Free Member

Just bought one after balking at the prospect of paying nearly £20 for a replacement pack of Gillette Mach 25.5 Leviathan Rapier Super Mega Ultra Patrol-Meisters.

Has anyone here used one? Am I going to need a medevac and a blood transfusion or are they as good as their (ridiculous) marketing blurb claims?

sharkbait
    Free Member

Tea anyone?

Admiralable
    Free Member

I used to use one but don’t anymore. Comfy though

lunge

I used one and found it horrible. Cut me to bits, not comfortable, rubbish.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I tried one…just the once!

mrmo
    Free Member

Bought one recently for same reason. Shaves fine but the blades don’t seem a durable as the gillette I was using before

Taff
    Free Member

this is a DE forum.. don’t want your sort here! 🙄

not as good as a Gilette but better than wilkinson sword with the trimmer combo

clubber
    Free Member

I found it great. Well it was great in that I never got any cuts from it. Unfortunately it also failed in its primary task of shaving stubble off my face to an acceptable level. I’m back with Gilette Mega Blast shower of doom mach 20000000.

Bimbler
    Free Member

Thought it was ok, although found it hard to shave around my nose. Would have persevered with it but it broke and kindly Mr Sainsbury gave me money back. If you want to save money I can heartily recommend Razor Pit – my current Mach 3 blade must be on 35 + shaves, kinda lost count though.

retro83
    Free Member

I’ve got one, it’s okay. Seems about as good as a Mach 3, and the blades can often be found a bit cheaper than the Gillette.

What I would say is avoid their balms/shaving gels. The aftershave balm in particular is so runny that if you squeeze the pack slightly too hard, it’ll cover your trousers suspicious looking stains.

The shaving gel stuff is so slippery that it causes the razor to slip over the hairs without cutting them.

retro83
    Free Member

If you want to save money I can heartily recommend Razor Pit – my current Mach 3 blade must be on 35 + shaves, kinda lost count though.

On a related note – anybody know if this really works to keep the blades sharp?
    http://www.instructables.com/id/How-to-extend-the-life-of-your-Razor-Blade-keeping/

actually, this is a stropping technique – not sharpening… sharpening actually removes some of the metal… stropping is just like barbers do with a straight razor… the idea is to ‘staigten’ the blade back out… the blades on disposables are so then that the edge gets ‘folded over’ on itself… stropping the blade on a coarse fabric (think leather strops that barbers use) piece of material like denim and you achieve a similar result.

molgrips
    Free Member

This is similar to using a straight blade on a leather strap

Except that it only does one side of the blade…..

Woody
    Free Member

I’ve been trying this on DE blades (removed from razor) and it seems to work. Looking at the vid, maybe it’s not necessary to remove it to get decent results!

Rubber_Buccaneer

I can’t get the thing to shave right under my nose so end up with a little stubbly mini hitler. Once I have used all of the blades mine will go in the bin.

Their shaving oil appeared a good idea to use when travelling but I find that just gums up the blade.

bigG
    Free Member

Azor = piece of junk. My super butch manly beard grows at such a rate I blunted the Azor after a couple of days.

Now I use a Merkur with japanese blades and my manly growth is under control.

The only other thing capable of controlling my manly growth is a three wolves t shirt,,, look here and weep at it’s power

finbar
    Free Member

Another Azor Hater here. I gave up on mine after the first pack of blades wore out – which wasn’t very long.

simons_nicolai-uk
    Free Member

Cougar

KoS are really well regarded, but I never really clicked with them. The shaving oil just clogs up multiblade razors (though in fairness I’ve not tried it with a DE blade), and I’ve not yet come across anyone who rates the Azor.

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

There would appear to be a uniformity of opinion here!

So, to all intents and purposes, it’s like a Betamax for your face?
    Will try it tonight and report back…

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

I used to use one. Found it OK, but not exceptional. Build quality was not the best and swapping blades led to a couple of them pinging off across the bathroom.

Now using DE with a Merkur and just ordered 50 Gillette 7 o’clock yellows for £4:99 😀

bravohotel8er
    Free Member

What is this DE that people keep referring to?

I assume it’s some form of terrifyingly expensive ti razor, handcrafted by bearded men in a hut somewhere in the Midlands?

sharkbait
    Free Member

What is this DE that people keep referring to?

You’re new here aren’t you 😉

molgrips
    Free Member

I like the oil for travel – much better than faffing about with a big can of gel and much easier to wipe clean after you’re done, even if you don’t have good running water. You can shave with a cup of water if need be.

It comes with a warning that you have to rinse much more than with foam.

Cougar

DE = double edged, razors that take the ‘classic’ razor blade. You know, the sort of thing you see in prison tattoos.

traildog
    Free Member

I used one for a bit, and like everyone above, I swapped back to Gillette. I actually use the two blade Gillette for cheapness.
    I didn’t mind the razor, but went through blades quickly and they were more expensive than the above. Also, it’s rubbish on the legs.. 😉

Cougar

I actually use the two blade Gillette for cheapness.

I use the Sensor too, because I think it’s wholly better than the Mach 3 With Extra Superlatives. You’ve more control over it, for a start, rather than having a flappy-abouty(*) head that’s neither use nor ornament.

I’ve got the world’s cheapest DE and don’t get on with it. Still working out whether I need to invest in a better one or try different blades, or throw it in the bin and stick paying Gillette Tax.

(* – technical term, sorry)

chewkw
    Free Member

This will learn you! 😆

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’ve got the world’s cheapest DE and don’t get on with it. Still working out whether I need to invest in a better one or try different blades, or throw it in the bin and stick paying Gillette Tax

What don’t you like?

sv

Parker 98R and 7 o’clock blades* for me – real men use DE…

* – used to use the Feathers but read on here that somebody found them too sharp and swapped over to the 7’s. I now have and they seem to be working better for me too.

simon_g

I like them – bought one cheap when the first came out, used the blades then it went back in cupboard while I used up my stockpile of Mach3 blades.

They’re out, the KoS blades are about half the price of Gilette so I’m back on it. It’s fine. It shaves nice and close and doesn’t cut me to shreds. What else does a razor need to do?

Cougar

What don’t you like?

I wondered how long that’d take.

Specifically, it takes more effort to get a shave that isn’t as good.

Del

handcrafted by bearded VERY cleanly shaven men in a hut somewhere in the Midlands?

FTFY 😀

clubber
    Free Member

Oh, god, the thread has turned 🙄

So, who has the most niche razor?

CountZero

I’ve used a KoS Asur for some time, as the blades were a lot cheaper than the other brands in Wilcos, but they’ve stopped selling the blades now, which is a pain. I don’t want to pay Boots or Superdrug prices, and I’m not driving to an out of town supermarket just to get some blades. Looks like I’ll have to find an alternative, sadly.

sharkbait
    Free Member

Specifically, it takes more effort to get a shave that isn’t as good.

I’ll go with you on the extra time it takes…. but that’s because it’s actually enjoyable now.
    If the shave isn’t as good then there’s something wrong as you should get a better shave. You could try some different blades (I’ll happily send you a selection – chuck me an email) but I think the razor also makes a difference. Cheap doesn’t sound good.

Cougar

If the shave isn’t as good then there’s something wrong as you should get a better shave.

I’d drawn much the same conclusion. Unfortunately, without knowing what to change I’m loathe to throw good money after bad. It could just be technique, but then that’d involve me not going “bugger that” and picking up the Sensor every time I shave.

I’ll happily send you a selection – chuck me an email

Seriously? That’d be epic, thank you. I was looking at getting a ‘selection pack’ sort of affair, but didn’t want to spend a chunk of cash on a large number of blades that I decide I don’t like and will never use.

Cheap doesn’t sound good.

The one I’ve got is this Wilkinson Sword one I think.

Cougar

… you’ve got mail.

Ta. (-:

headfirst
    Free Member

Give the Azor to your wife or a roadie to use on their legs

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘King of Shaves 'Azor' Razor…’ is closed to new replies.