• This topic has 102 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by loum.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)
  • King Kenny has left the building…
  • voodoo_chile

Kenny should not of took the job full time ….fact …..martinez or rogers ..no …need proven managers not relegation fodder
    Not all liverpool fans like kenny
    Steve clarke has gone too

loddrik
    Free Member

Martinez is more likely to go to Villa, and so he should.

Rijkard, for the love of god no!!!

Mourinho, as above.

Football has changed and the likes of Liverpool, Arsenal or the melon farmers aren’t going to appoint the someone like Rodgers, Martinez etc as there is too much at stake should it not work out, with the exception of Benitez’ last season we were a guaranteed top 4 club, now with a couple of seasons of bad decisions we have now an enormous amount of ground to make up. Chelsea took a gamble on a bright young prospect and look how that turned out.

There is far to much to lose in terms of being cast adrift from the top 4 to allow a couple of seasons for a young manager to get established so I doubt there’ll be another AVB appointment for a long time.

Ferguson was given a long bedding in period which eventually paid off, however there was no champions league qualification back then. Had that been the situation back then, he’d have been out the door guaranteed.

voodoo_chile

The mancs will be f**ked when Taggart spews it …..

MSP

The mancs Welsh and cockneys will be f**ked when Taggart spews it ….

voodoo_chile

Prawn sarnies anyone!

MSP

Served by a fat Spanish waiter?

zimbo
    Free Member

I’d welcome Sami Hyypiä being given a crack at it…

loddrik
    Free Member

As assistant to benitez, I’d agree.

voodoo_chile

Sami is now manager at bayer leverkusen

zimbo
    Free Member

Not for long, I hope!

PrinceJohn

No way to Martinez, it’s a disator waiting to happen, keeping small clubs in the Premier by narrowly avoiding relegation is not my idea of a perfect CV.

He’s a very well regarded forward thinking manager. Keeping Wigan in the prem is a great achievement. The way he had them playing at the end of the season they were 2nd to none, deservedly beating ManU & also should’ve beaten Chelsea if it wasn’t for some very poor refereeing.

loddrik
    Free Member

Great, have him at your club then…

Junkyard
    Free Member

one day Man u will be as poor as Liverpool for sure it is in the nature of things.
    I remember people saying we would win nothing when schmeichel [spell]left and cantona and keane and ronaldo etc.
    I am not so sure we will have some great managers wanting the job Moyes and Mourinho for example though I would bet on the former.

It will be a big loss for sure and only time will tell how big.

loddrik
    Free Member

I’d love Moyes at Anfield.

It would never ever ever happen though!

PrinceJohn

Great, have him at your club then…

Happy with Mancini just now, thanks… 😀

loddrik
    Free Member

Exactly, but if Mancini left, you would’t want Martinez.

Junkyard
    Free Member

yeah but they are a big club 😛

loddrik
    Free Member

I saw the numbers for the parade of the league trophy.

Massive…. 🙄

MSP

I am not so sure we will have some great managers wanting the job Moyes and Mourinho for example though I would bet on the former.

I do think united could have a problem when Ferguson retires, It’s his team from top to bottom, players and background staff, promoting from within maybe the best way rather than going for a big name. If they change things around then Ferguson’s shadow will eclipse them if they don’t deliver immediate success, how would the club react to a new manager delivering a trophy-less season and not making it out of the group in the champions league, like this year.
    I can see many top mangers taking the view that they will let someone else mess up before they take a shot.

MSP

Exactly, but if Mancini left, you would’t want Martinez

Actually yes, I would hope he would at least be in the running.

PrinceJohn

Exactly, but if Mancini left, you would’t want Martinez.

No – but before Hughes took over I’d’ve taken him, when we were on our way back up

senorj

+1 for Moyes !
    seriously.

nick3216
    Free Member

b r – Member
    There is only ONE King Kenny, and he ain’t a wendyball player!

^^^^ this.

Junkyard
    Free Member

moyes does not want to go to a worse team 😀

never get him but an excellent choice

PrinceJohn

I do think united could have a problem when Ferguson retires, It’s his team from top to bottom, players and background staff, promoting from within maybe the best way rather than going for a big name. If they change things around then Ferguson’s shadow will eclipse them if they don’t deliver intimidate success, how would the club react to a new manager delivering a trophy-less season and not making it out of the group in the champions league, like this year.
    I can see many top mangers taking the view that they will let someone else mess up before they take a shot.

That was Hodgson’s problem – always had the spectre of King Kenny hanging over him. Personally I’d’ve given him until Christmas to see where it was going, unless FSG are planning a large summer investment & were scared he was going to unearth some more Andy Carrolls… (he says waiting to eat his words after Carroll’s goals lead England to Euro 2012 glory…)

Klunk
    Free Member

some old boys in the frame

Graeme Souness 50-1
    Kevin Kegan 199-1
    John Barnes 100-1
    Robbie Fowler 100-1
    Phil Thompson 512-1
    Stan Collymore 200-1

oh and the outside punt

Gary Neville 1000-1

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Bring back Jose. OK complete PIA but for neutrals he provides endless entertainment and wind-up value

loddrik
    Free Member

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!

surfer
    Free Member

Alan Hansen?

zimbo
    Free Member

If Hansen had wanted to be a manager, he’d have been at Anfield long before now.

saracendan

Hope for our sakes (as a norwich fan) not, but Paul Lambert is attracting some pl attention.

saracendan

Hope for our sakes (as a norwich fan) not, but Paul Lambert is attracting some pl attention.

loum
    Free Member

King Kenny YNWA.
    Dalglish was always an emergency stop-gap, helping his club out of the Woy Hodgson mess.
    He took over with them in the relegation dogfight and stabilised them. He is a little out of touch tactically, but kept them up through shear personality and willpower. Then brought some silverware back for the first time in ages. Its a sad end after he was given a three year contract, but its clear he’s not a long term option in 2012.
    Its better for the club to make a change early when it’s this inevitable, but the team’s in far better shape than when he took over. A few of his signings have let him down (Downing and Adam more than any) but he’s also cleared some of the previous tripe that should never have even been there (Konchesky??? , Poulsen) and a couple that needed to be sold for good money. He’s given the youngsters a bit of experience too and they look like better players for it.

loum
    Free Member

Martinez looks a good manager and a decent bloke, but his record is more Woy-like than inspiring. He may be great but he’d be a big gamble. Keeping Wigan up’s a fine achievement but its a different job to challenging for honours. Good managers for the lesser teams don’t always make good “top club” managers (Woy). Many people might think that suits Liverpool now 😉

PrinceJohn

Can I be the first to suggest Alan Pardew?

jezyeti
    Free Member

I love how lots of people seem to be having a pop at roy suggesting that he was not a big enough or good enough manager for Liverpool… I guess managing three national sides and into major championships or inter Milan twice is not the same as managing what is a mid table premiership team now.

Liverpool were a great side ten years ago but through bag judgment and sitting back watching the world go by they are nowhere near top four material and won’t be unless they have a major cash injection. I think that Martinez might work brilliantly with his brand of attacking football and he has an eye for a good player… it is a risk but Liverpool as far as I remember were always based on a solid defence and great attacking flair.. Martinez plays in a similar way and with money I would be intrigued to what he could achieve.

Garry_Lager

Martinez looks a good manager and a decent bloke, but his record is more Woy-like than inspiring. He may be great but he’d be a big gamble. Keeping Wigan up’s a fine achievement but its a different job to challenging for honours. Good managers for the lesser teams don’t always make good “top club” managers (Woy). Many people might think that suits Liverpool now

How can his record be Roy-like when he’s 25 years younger? They’re at opposite ends of their careers.

When they were around Martinez’ age (38), Rafa Benitez was still at small clubs bouncing between the Spanish first and second divisions, Arsene Wenger had just gotten relegated into the French second division with Nancy, Alex Ferguson had just joined Aberdeen after making his reputation as a promising manager at a small Scottish club (St Mirren), and if you want to talk about a real manager – Shankly himself was at Grimsby town.

So Martinez’s cv is about what you’d expect for a young, promising manager at a small club and is in line with some of the greats of the game – he deserves and will get an opportunity to move to a bigger club. Ye cannae compare him to Roy Hodgeson as of 2012.

loum
    Free Member

Woy’s not a bad manager, just not a winner at club level. He failed badly at Liverpool. He stabilised Inter when they had a rough patch but even then, he wasn’t kept on by them to challenge for the title. Good at Fulham, good at WestBrom, but thats all relative to their previous. Not a winner though. Not suitable to follow a Champions League winner.
    He’s good enough (usually) to keep a lesser team up, and hopefully better at National team management than club football. Maybe he’ll be a better fit for England, with their one trophy in a hundred years. For all the bollox I’ve written I could have just responded with one word:
    Konchesky 😉

loum
    Free Member

G-L, fair comment, he is young. But its a lot to write about one word “woy-like” when the bulk of the quote you used was about him being a gamble. That’s the fact. I hope ,and think he will, go on to be a bigger success, but he’s hardly bringing a Champion’s CV with him at present.
    Klopp is only 44.

Garry_Lager

Fair enough. Martinez could as easily be the next Mike Walker as the next Arsene Wenger, for sure.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 103 total)

The topic ‘King Kenny has left the building…’ is closed to new replies.