Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)
  • King Alfred’s Way
  • bomber1
    Free Member

Could anyone please tell me where I can find the route/GPX file for this? especially the section between Swindon, Salisbury and Winchester. Many thanks K

Esme
    Free Member

This is the best I’ve managed to find so far: King Alfreds Way – not very helpful, but I guess work has been delayed by  . . . you-know-what . . .

In the meantime, this recent STW thread might be of interest: Salisbury to Devon offroad

jobro
    Free Member

Cycling UK have recently sent a group of well known bike packers around the route to check it out. Should appear on Pannier CC, Katherinebikes or Adventure CC soon.

Esme
    Free Member

Update from Cycling UK:

King Alfred’s Way coming soon
    We know a lot of you are keen to get out and ride King Alfred’s Way, a new 350km circular trail around historic Wessex. Unfortunately the coronavirus lockdown delayed things a bit, but we’ve now been able to fully test-ride the route and are finalising the route guide, to launch in late August with full maps and gpx files. If you want to be the first to get your hands on a copy of the guidebook, which delves into the rich history and archaeology along the route and includes the full route on 1:50 000 Ordnance Survey maps, it will be available to pre-order soon so keep an eye out for an email alert.

(Wonders if Jobro was one of the riders?)

robcolliver
    Free Member

I’ve done my own version of this route and its great fun. Took 22 hours of riding and I had to have a snooze just above Old Sarum and rode downhill and the mist/fog over Salisbury Cathedral was something I will remember for a very long time.
    I just built a version linking bridleways and small lanes that went in the right direction.
    The chippie in Goring was very welcome, as was finding the taps on the Ridgeway.
    The only bummer was having to ride to the start and home afterwards.

onthebummel

King Alfred’s Way launched today – full route files and downloadable guide by Guy Kesteven (doesn’t come with OS maps like hardcopy book) all available at: http://www.cyclinguk.org/kingalfredsway

Rode it with the recce group from Cycling UK mentioned in the thread, and it’s a world of fun so long as the rain stays off the chalk!

IHN

I am really very interested in this…

theoutsideloo
    Free Member

It is great news for cycling, but the name of the route is meaningless, since it misses the birth place of King Alfred by three miles, avoids the site of his greatest triumph in battle by around one mile and misses his Somerset Levels retreat by nearly 50. It also heads in the general direction of Westbury and manages to avoid Edington by a handful of miles. So, apart from starting and finishing in Winchester and visiting Farnham, a battle fought by Alfred’s son, what is the connection with the King of Wessex exactly?

Poopscoop

Crap I might have stumbled onto my mini adventure for next year!😳😁👍

@onthebummel do you know elevation gain for the route? Thanks matey.

Looks great tbh, thanks Cycling UK and all those involved.

Adventure awaits!🚵😁

Edit: Just ordered the book, will cheer me up as autumn and Winter set in.

bigrich

isn’t that when you put a piercing through your bob-end?

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

That’s a Prince Albert – a King Alfred is when you confuse your chamois cream with your Deep Heat and ‘burn your cakes’.

mrwhyte
    Free Member

Looks like a decent route. I’ll buy the book and make plans for a long weekend next year I think!

@Poopscoop
    ,i think the gpx file was on the website to download. Should have elevation there.

boardmanfs18

Thinking of riding the route in three days later in September.

Probably going to go fast and light and stay in premier inn’s.

Question is do I use my Ti hardtail or gravel bike, they weigh about the same, I’m leaning towards the hardtail as it will be way more fun on the downs but only slightly slower on the road.

frogstomp

Question is do I use my Ti hardtail or gravel bike

white101

looks at the 2021 calendar and starts planning…

monksie
    Free Member

“it misses the birth place of King Alfred by three miles, avoids the site of his greatest triumph in battle by around one mile and misses his Somerset Levels retreat by nearly 50. It also heads in the general direction of Westbury and manages to avoid Edington by a handful of miles.”

So it’s really quite close to a few Alfred themed things then?

antigee

ditch_jockey

That’s a Prince Albert – a King Alfred is when you confuse your chamois cream with your Deep Heat and ‘burn your cakes’.

lived in Shaftesbury until was about 9…vaguely recall a cafe that claimed to be where Alfred burnt his cakes….much prefer this explanation (as in find amusing..no preference for trying…need to make that clear)

singletrackmind

Probably goes past the statue of king alfredo, the king of pizzas in Winchester, a pert from that, nah nothing to do with king Alfred at all
    Should have called it billie jean king way instead, or the elvis way

montgomery
    Free Member

Some good riding on that route, but the connection is a bit tenuous. I actually put together an Alfred-themed trip a few years ago – the Levels, Alfred’s Tower, Edington, Chippenham, Wedmore. Good riding on that, too.

avdave2

You could ride from Eastbourne on the SDW do the loop then back to Eastbourne if you wanted a longer route.

robcolliver
    Free Member

as it turns out, I did it the wrong way round the other month, so I am plotting to give it a clockwise spin in about a weeks time – there will be no time to look at Alfred’s bits.

tinribz
    Free Member

Video link for those who can’t see videos any more.

norcotic
    Free Member

Starting the King Alfred Way on Monday near Liss. Decided against wild camping on this route as it’s quite a built up area. So I’m treating myself to a bit of luxury. Staying at Premier Inn Reading, The White Horse, Woolstone and a guest house in Crookham Village. All are very close to the route. Taking a gravel bike, GPS, battery, change of clothes and credit card and that’s about it.

boltonjon

Completed a clockwise version of it 2 weekends ago, starting and finishing near Reading.

Well, the version was about 90% compared to the ‘official GPX’ released the week before last

A really nice route. We completed over 4 days with 3 nights wild camping. A couple of notes/suggestions:

1) Well worth learning where the taps are on the Ridgeway
    2) Take the detour over to Stonehendge – i’d only ever seen it from the road before – stunning
    3) Its gonna get very wet & slippy when the weather deteriorates – not a winter loop!

bigblackshed

Just ordered the guide from CyclingUK and downloaded the GPX files. It’s a planner for this winter with next summer as s target. I’ll need to get some miles in my legs before hand though.

jameso

Riding it this weekend, forecast was good so why not. Started in Goring on Fri eve and a few miles past Old Sarum now. Bivi tonight under a huge oak tree where a loud owl seems unhappy with my presence. Great riding, decided on the 29er over the gravel bike and very happy I did. There’s some nice gravel sections but most of it so far is classic old school XC with some fun byway downhills.

Poopscoop

Have a great time mate, looking forward to some pics!👍

boardmanfs18

Riding it this weekend, forecast was good so why not. Started in Goring on Fri eve and a few miles past Old Sarum now. Bivi tonight under a huge oak tree where a loud owl seems unhappy with my presence. Great riding, decided on the 29er over the gravel bike and very happy I did. There’s some nice gravel sections but most of it so far is classic old school XC with some fun byway downhills.

Good luck with the route, good to hear you’re on a 29’er as that’s what I was planning to use too.

singletrackmind

King Alfreds Way – South Downs Way – Downs Link – Norht Downs Way – Kent Coastal Route – South Downs Way – Tea and Medals as thats going to hurt as its 300 miles

Poopscoop

That would be an epic ride mate.👍

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

It’s nice to have some big routes being mapped in the South East isn’t it. Long drives to other parts of the country often render a trip impractical for me.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Singletrackmind. Do you reckon leaving the North Downs way at Canterbury and joining the Viking Trail at Whitstable then following the coast all the way round to Eastbourne would work? Most of the coast from Broadstairs to Eastbourne would have a promenade wouldn’t it?

singletrackmind

Not my local patch so unsure of terrain and surface. I do know my math is way out . 465 miles If you miss out the Downs Link and jump off the KAW and onto the NDW , that route might get you 1000km though. . . . .
    Dover to Eastbourne would be Sustrans route #2 so lanes mostly
    Would be a great way to spend a week . Start in winchester 350km KAW , then 240km NDW to Dover, then Dover to Eastbourne 110km, then SDW back to Start 160km. 860km so 7 days riding for mere mortals with overnight gear, maybe 5 days if supported / hotels/ your are fit and fast

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Next weekend I’m planning Greensand way from Sevenoaks to Oxted, NDW to Guildford (via Peaslake village stores of course), Downslink to Steyning, SDW to Eastbourne then home vis the Cuckoo trail and quiet country roads (evil hills mind you).
    Should be around 2 x 8-10hr days. Fingers crossed it happens.

robcolliver
    Free Member

Going for a wander on Tuesday from QECP.
    If there is info about taps between Avebury and the tap on the Ridgeway above Idstone, I’d love to know ASAP!

robcolliver
    Free Member

Amesbury, not Avebury.

Gniffer
    Free Member

Hi all

I was looking for a bit of tyre advice:

Am Planning to do this end September over 4 days. Looks great!

Was gonna take my gravel bike (Genesis CdF 10) for its first off road(ish) trip.
    I Don’t really know the terrain – I am used to MTB riding the hills of W Yorks/lakes etc with my Salsa full-sus and using the CdF as a tourer so far on lanes/NCNs etc.

I am currently running the original Clement X’Plor USH 700x35c. With tubes

I was thinking of a 40c tyre & lower the psi a bit for a good compromise but need something that can cope with the ?mud ?sand ?flint rock

My wheels are not tubeless ready and I’ve never run tubeless so don’t fancy experimenting with that.

The genesis website suggests 38c is max but I have read lots of folk stick 40c on without problem (will remove my mudguards).

Any recommendations for tyres or setup ideas?

Cheers

ampthill

Book marking as i fancy this next year. Might need a rigid mtb for it though. My gravel bike tops out at 40mm tyres. Intrested to know how other get on tyres wise

four
    Free Member

This route looks good to me and something a friend and I would like to do next year in the spring / summer.

I can’t stand camping so it will be a hotel / B&B. Just wondering if it would be a hard ride over two days or ‘okay’? Would doing it over three days be a better option.

I’ve done the SDW in a day and wouldn’t fancy doing it again the day after……. but much prefer the SDW in a day than doing it over two days.

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I really think it’s best not to worry too much about bike and tyre choice. I’ve ridden the SDW on 32mm cx tyres and whilst it was rattly on the fast descents it was nice at other times. My fastest bike for this is my racey ful sus but I’ll be using a rigid mtb as it’s a much loved friend. If you’re forced to slow down a bit it just gives you more time to enjoy the moment.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 75 total)

The topic ‘King Alfred’s Way’ is closed to new replies.