Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Salisbury to Devon off road? Or other interesting routes.
  • rollindoughnut
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to a couple of days cycling next weekend and would like to explore a little further from home. I’m interested in the whole area west of Winchester and love hilly, tough routes, not so keen on gates every 100m though!
    I’d like to load some gpx files onto my Garmin and am looking for around 120-160miles, 4000m+ of ascent. A mix of quiet country roads in with the off road always makes a pleasant change. I like the idea of seeing the coast and interesting landmarks are cool too. Mainly I like solitude and not being buzzed by angry drivers.
    Happy to head north, south or west from Winchester, Salisbury, Southampton etc.
    As long as it’s new to me then I’ll be content.

cinnamon_girl

That’s a big area right there! Wessex Ridgeway which starts from Tollard Royal I think, you could get off the train at Salisbury aiming for the Ox Drove. This route will take you to Beaminster which is not a million miles from the West Dorset coast.

Will come back a bit later with hopefully more ideas!

snaps
    Free Member

Quantock’s

Exmoor

Dartmoor

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

North of Salisbury, on the Plain up to Silbury, West Kennet and the likes?

Esme
    Free Member

Cycling UK were planning to launch King Alfreds Way sometime this summer.

cinnamon_girl

Yes, that’s a good one Cap’n. Could extend towards Avebury and the Ridgeway. Get the train back from Swindon.

Wessex Ridgeway, apologies it actually starts just outside Avebury.

Another suggestion – train to Basingstoke, Hannington, pick up Wayfarers Walk (North Wessex Downs) for Combe Gibbet. Continue West then pick up minor roads, there’s a station at Pewsey or head towards Avebury, onto the Ridgeway and head to Swindon Station.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Another suggestion – train to Basingstoke, Hannington, pick up Wayfarers Walk (North Wessex Downs) for Combe Gibbet.

Get off at Overton instead. Straight on to quiet trails lanes up through Hannington/Ibworth area. Otherwise, yes!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

Blimey, so many place names to digest! I’ll have to sit down with a very large cuppa and Google maps.
    I’ve ridden parts of the Ridgeway on a Scott marathon. It was very beautiful.
    Quantocks and Exmoor loop is in the pipeline but only when I have a buddy free to share the drive with. Too expensive and tiring on my own hence why I’m looking closer to home.

RichPenny
    Free Member

Salisbury to Harnham, climb up Harnham Slope then to Donhead St Andrew on the Shaston Drove,
    Up to Win Green, down to Tollard Royal, out to Ashmore on Wessex Ridgeway to Hambledon Hill.
    Lanes up to Shaftesbury for lunch.
    Bridleways/lanes up to Semley, then up to Fonthill Gifford and Hindon.
    Hindon up to Great Ridge, out Great Ridge onto Ox Drove/Monarchs Way into Grovely Wood.
    Through Grovely on the Roman Road, out into Wilton.
    Up from Wilton to Hare Warren, back onto the Shaston Drove, back to Salisbury.

I’d do that. Over a week 😉

mikertroid
    Free Member

@RichPenny,

Salisbury to Harnham, climb up Harnham Slope then to Donhead St Andrew on the Shaston Drove,
    Up to Win Green, down to Tollard Royal, out to Ashmore on Wessex Ridgeway to Hambledon Hill.
    Lanes up to Shaftesbury for lunch.
    Bridleways/lanes up to Semley, then up to Fonthill Gifford and Hindon.
    Hindon up to Great Ridge, out Great Ridge onto Ox Drove/Monarchs Way into Grovely Wood.
    Through Grovely on the Roman Road, out into Wilton.
    Up from Wilton to Hare Warren, back onto the Shaston Drove, back to Salisbury.

That’s pretty much a description of my local riding area!

rollindoughnut
    Free Member

This is a much more enjoyable way of finding routes than just looking online. I’m excited about plotting some of these descriptions onto a map and seeing what the hell you’re talking about!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

How did this pan out?

I was mostly preferring C_G’s suggestion of Ox Drove towards the coast, to be honest.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Salisbury to Devon off road? Or other interesting routes.’ is closed to new replies.