Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 248 total)
  • Kicking dogs doesn’t help
  • TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Tootall – I am trying to get selfish dog owners to see that they are in the wrong. Educate one a tiny bit and its a victory. Some dog owners – see Horas post above – seem to think its OK for their slobbering mutt to bother people – it is not – morally or in law. Some dog owners take their responsibilities seriously and train their dogs well.

BTW – I am in the middle of a 50+ hr working week looking after the vulnerable elderly of our society.

DezB
    Free Member

Up to which point she is presumably kept on a lead (I was bitten by a puppy who hadn’t yet learnt better)?

No, she’s not. That would be cruel as she needs the exercise.
    Part of the training is done out on walks and it doesn’t work when shes on a lead. Anyway, she isn’t going to bite anyone and if they kick her for approaching (just like if a dog bites her for approaching) I see that as part of the training too.
    And honestly, I don’t give a toss if anyone disagrees with me.

hora
    Free Member

Honestly? I’m not really bothered. I actually like his unruly nature.. Drives my girlfriend crackers mind. I couldnt even bring myself to kick the Staff that bit him a few weeks back. Don’t know, violence to a dog, its not on.

Going back a bit but my size 8 girlfriend was walking him once (on a lead) and a bloke took a swing at him with his foot as he said the dog was ‘getting too close’ on a canal footpath. Bingo was under control as she walks him on a tight leash.

Says it all really about the sort of men who would kick a dog. I doubt anyone dog-kickers on this thread would kick the dog of a football hooligan hey? Thought not. Good bye.

bigsi
    Free Member

Good god this is all going a bit “Daily Mail” 🙄

antigee

violence to a dog, its not on

there you go – it was easy – after all that we have the answer

ChrisS
    Free Member

I’ve always tried to be courteous to other trail users when out walking my dogs and it’s generally been met with a similar level of courtesy from others, walkers or cyclists. However reading some of the macho b@*llocks on here about “kicking dogs” makes me want to train them to attack and eat any mountain biker we come across who doesn’t get out of our way…..

Rather than swapping “dogs” for “kids”, maybe we should try reversing “dogs” and “cyclists”, eg from TandemJeremy:

A cyclist has an absolute duty to control their bike at all times. This means that they should either be able to slow down or stop at command. If you don’t do this with your bikes you are committing an offense in law. If your bike races up to me or my dogs even to say hello / to play you are committing an offense and the cyclist could be put down.

stuartkendall
    Free Member

only cowards kick dogs. probably the sort of knobs that hit their wives.

stuartkendall
    Free Member

Would you kick it if the size ratio was reversed? Lets just see how aggressive you dog kickers would be then 🙂

scruff
    Free Member

My dog punched another dog in the face with his paw. Knocked the little terrier flying on hos ar5e. Honestly.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

at least dogs don’t drink cider/stella/special brew ang hang round the local spa

IanMunro
    Free Member

only cowards kick dogs. probably the sort of knobs that hit their wives.

Oh I don’t know. You’d have to be pretty brave or insane to kick the pub’s Rottie 🙂

hora
    Free Member

My dog punched another dog in the face with his paw. Knocked the little terrier flying on hos ar5e. Honestly.

Actually our westie is shit in a standup ‘boxing’ match with most dogs. Fun to watch but most of the dogs who participate are taller than him and end up falling ontop of him to win!

sherry
    Free Member

It is quite clear that there are a fair few people for one reason or another who just don’t like dogs, end of story. But i have to say if anyone swung a kick at my dogs head it would definitely end in tears and snotters for them! My dog never has, and I’m sure never will bite anyone. Self defence from a snarling, biting dog is one thing, kicking a dog in the head because they came near you is another. The violence towards animals being posted here is disturbing. Ewan, you sound like a complete ****t, if what you’ve written is true then one day you will try it with the wrong dog and the owner will knock your block off. Be respectful to each other and I’m sure everyone will be a lot happier.

BoardinBob

😆

a cat punched my dog once. The wee coward was petrified!

taxi25
    Free Member

So much tosh in one thread!!! Of course if a dog attacks you,you have the right to defend yourself.But the law requires it to be proportional.If you kick and kill or injure that Yorkie snapping at your ankle you could be prosecuted (it has happened).As far as the law requiring a dog owner to be in full control of his dog at all times,yes its true but in practise its only applied if the dog attacks someone or causes an accident.Dogs running around,going up to people sniffing them etc is just dogs doing what dogs do.Its part of everyday life and accepeted as such by the law.
    All of you guys suffering from Cynophopia should seek treatment (do a google search for your area).Realy dogs aren’t going to go away you’ll be much happier.

rnscotch

ohhhh god not this again…

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

taxi25 – Member

……………As far as the law requiring a dog owner to be in full control of his dog at all times,yes its true but in practise its only applied if the dog attacks someone or causes an accident.Dogs running around,going up to people sniffing them etc is just dogs doing what dogs do.Its part of everyday life and accepeted as such by the law…………

Rubbish old chap – find anything to back that up. it simply is not true. If a dog causing a nusience then the owner is breaking the law.

So can you find anything to back that ridiculous statement up?

mudshark
    Free Member

Is a dog going to say hello whilst wagging its tail a nuisance and thus resulting in the owner breaking the law? Trouble is many dogs are friendly and used to friendly people who like fussing dogs.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Yes it is Mudshark if the person being sniffed does not want the dog to do so.

Oxboy
    Free Member

What about Snoop Doggy Dog, can he be kicked in the head please?

redthunder
    Free Member

Could this be the thread of 2009 already ????

I got a good mind to start a TRACTOR thread.. 🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Shall I start another helmet thread?

mudshark
    Free Member

I want to see someone try to take an owner to court for having a too friendly dog. Thrown out of court I’d wager….

redthunder
    Free Member

@Tandem Jeremy…. go on I ‘ll start a Tractor trumps thread 😉

alwyn
    Free Member

What about being jumped on by doggers?

Would you kick them in the head too?

redthunder
    Free Member

@alwyn

**** them first…then kick em’ in the head.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

“Dangerous Dogs Act 1991

Under Section 3 of this Act you are required, as a dog owner, to keep your dog under proper control. This applies to ALL dogs. It is a criminal offence to allow your dog to be dangerously out of control in a public place.

For the purpose of the Act, a dog is regarded as dangerously out of control on any occasion on which there are grounds for reasonable apprehension that it will injure any person, whether or not it actually does so.”

Oxboy
    Free Member

How does the law stand on Dogfish?

Oxboy
    Free Member

Dog Soldiers! you wouldnt be able to kick them bad boys in the head!

redthunder
    Free Member

What about Catfish…. that’s the real menace.

slugwash
    Free Member

How does the law stand on Dogfish?

Or even dog on dogfish?

Lootenant
    Free Member

Now you’re talking..pictures too

redthunder
    Free Member

I could kick this one ;-)….. fish that is!

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

There TJ, you said it yourself (and in bold, even): reasonable apprehension.

ie, not unreasonable fear. On a previous thread, you said you had a phobia for dogs. That suggests to me an inability to think or act reasonably around dogs, which I can sympathise with, but I don’t think it makes you an objective commentator on this thread.

And just to clarify my original point: kicking a dog that’s showing inappropriate friendliness or bad manners will not help you or other cyclists (and isn’t a legal response, no matter how many times you copy and paste that bit of legalese with bold text in it up there). At best you’re promoting aggression towards cyclists in that animal, which is bad for us on this forum, which is why I posted originally. I don’t want to get bitten any more than anyone else.

I’m not talking about truly aggressive dogs here – that’s a different subject. But you’d be mad to try kicking one of them, anyway.

One other thing is the impression some people seem to have that a dog can ever be both ‘under control’ and off lead. If a dog’s off lead, it’s out of control, as far as I’m concerned. Anything could come and spook the animal no matter how carefully trained. That’s why I, personally, could never take dogs out riding with me. I can’t see how you can ride a bike and control protect your dog from idiots at the same time.

So, on that point at least, I imagine we agree…. can we leave it there? I wish I’d never started this stupid thread.

devs
    Free Member

And just to clarify my original point: kicking a dog that’s showing inappropriate friendliness or bad manners will not help you or other cyclists

If only that is what you had said in the first place! I took it to mean an aggressive dog and I suppose a lot of others did too. Maybe you deserve a kick for not clarifying sooner. 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

Dorset_Knob

Seconded good points,I shall return the compliment, well said.
    I think you raised a good point and shouldn’t be apologetic for the thread, it’s not your fault.

It has been fun interesting. 😆

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

Maybe you deserve a kick for not clarifying sooner

Couldn’t be arsed. 🙂 (Does that make me a troll?)

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

That’s why I, personally, could never take dogs out riding with me. I can’t see how you can ride a bike and control protect your dog from idiots at the same time.

I’m willing to be corrected on this, by the way.

jojoA1
    Free Member

I can’t see how you can ride a bike and control your dog.

Caveat: unless your dog is also on a lead or immediately and reliably obedient to your command.

Ewan
    Free Member

Sherry – if your dog goes for me i’ll certainly kick it in the head. If you take offence and then kick me in the head, i’ll be sure to visit you in prison where you would evidently belong. I would be keeping to the law, you’d be breaking it. I suspect that makes you the ‘****’.

A dog is just an animal, they’re not the same as a person. If a person thinks they’re about to be bitten by a dog (note i’m *not* advocating unjustified violence to animals, only preventing harm to people) then as far as i’m concerned then that person is within their rights to kick/punch/kill the stupid animal. It’s just an animal. And a dangerous one at that.

Viewing 40 posts - 161 through 200 (of 248 total)

The topic ‘Kicking dogs doesn’t help’ is closed to new replies.