Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)
  • Kettling
  • chewkw
    Free Member

To avoid Kettling you need …

1. The Tortoise – The ‘testudo’

The tortoise formation was one of the prime examples of Roman ingenuity at warfare. When deployed in such a way, the legionaries became virtually invulnerable to arrows or objects dropped from defensive walls.

or

2. The Wedge

The wedge was an aggressive formation used to ‘crack open’ enemy lines. Relatively small groups of legionaries could form such a triangle and then drive their way into the enemy ranks. As more Roman soldiers reinforced the wedge from behind, the enemy line could be forced apart. As breaking the enemy’s formation was very often the key to winning a battle, the wedge formation was vitally important battlefield tactic of the Roman army.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Ernie, you’re arguing out of your arse!

Now, are you going to accept that, short of sticking a mask over someones face and holding it there while they inhale the gas for half a minute, there is no possible toxic harmful effect of spraying someone with a Halon fire extinguisher, or do you want me to post the LC50 rodent data?

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Presumably by that comment, you are suggesting that in your opinion, I don’t normally do so.

Thanks ratty, I had no idea your opinion of me was that high. I feel touched.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m getting slightly bored now btw.

Then why carry on arguing with it then? Just ignore it. It’ll go away eventually.

There’s a nice thread about paint fumes going on. Maybe it’ll have a wander over there, where it might actually be useful and helpful to others for a change instead of constantly arguing.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Then why carry on arguing with it then?

So I’m arguing am I ?

Well **** me, I’m now arguing without even realising it ………could it be more serious ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I want to make a coffee table with some nice ply for the top. What sort of ply should I use? I like the sandwich layers effect around the edge. How to treat it so’s it is lovely and smooth?

Woody
    Free Member

[quote]Presumably by that comment, you are suggesting that in your opinion, I don’t normally do so.[/quote]

It takes quite a remarkable thought process to reach that conclusion.

Brilliant!

Never mind plywood, MDF is where it’s at and what did you have for dinner Elf?

Northwind

Haaaang on… What’s all this chat about halon extinguishers and their toxicity or lack of? If anyone was squirting halon around the question isn’t whether it was in their face or over their heads, it’s why they had the halon extinguisher in the first place since they’ve been all but outlawed and for good reasons

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

What sort of ply should I use? How to treat it so’s it is lovely and smooth?

For you Elfinman, I would recommend a nice bit of 18 mill shuttering ply. And baby oil should do the trick.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No not MDF; you’ve got to paint it, and I actually like the edge of ply. You know, when it’s rounded off and that, it looks really lovely.

Woody
    Free Member

You’re right, I’ve got no taste, that is truly beautiful 😳

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Plywood is beautiful, and amazing things can be done using this process. MDF is good stuff, but as I said it needs painting.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Ernie; I was thinking of something a little thicker maybe, and high-quality. Is shuttering ply really up to the job? Bit of research suggests it’s not the best quality.

I like the idea of plywood for the edge detail, as I’ve mentioned, and you can cut it into interesting shapes, easily.

How best to finish it? Baby oil you say? Is that for real or are you just being silly?

Some incredible stuff done with plywood:

Woody
    Free Member

I was joking about MDF but equally I had no idea what could be done with plywood – I really like those chairs and table ^^

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Lefties lose argument. Lefties change topic quicksmart.

Marvellous.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No Flashy; no-one’s ‘won’ or ‘lost’, they just have differing onions, which they won’t change their positions on. The ‘debate’ was getting tedious and boring. Nothing positive was coming from it, so I decided to turn it into something nice and enriching instead. Because there’s too much bickering on here.

Why do we have to argue all the time, when we live in a World surrounded by such beauty and wonderful creativity?

Now, you’re a man of some taste and sophistication; what about your favourite materials/furniture design?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

The ‘debate’ was getting tedious and boring.

You gave up/lost.

what about your favourite materials/furniture design?

I like classic stuff, to be honest. Most happy in a classic leather wingback with a decent glass and a good book.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Woody; have a Google for plywood furniture. Some amazing stuff.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

EDIT: That was supposed to be taking the michael but was perhaps a tad too far. Withdrawn.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Plywood. It’s so pliable isn’t it?

TooTall
    Free Member

it’s why they had the halon extinguisher in the first place since they’ve been all but outlawed and for good reasons

‘all but outlawed’ – yes – and the police are allowed to have and use them, along with a few other people / places.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😕

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Elfinsafety – Member

….we live in a World surrounded by such beauty and wonderful creativity

Yup, I couldn’t agree more.

I particularly like this little beauty :

I only wish I could reach out and caress it.

WTF is it btw ?

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I don’t know Ernie, it’s just a pic I found to illustrate what I meant. I think it’s part of a boat or something.

How best to finish the wood then? Oil? Varnish?

With a bit of luck there’ll be a Elfindesign range of furniture at some stage….

Woody
    Free Member

Should David Linley be worried or are you going for a more comtemporary feel?

Northwind

TooTall – Member

“‘all but outlawed’ – yes – and the police are allowed to have and use them, along with a few other people / places.”

Yes, allowed. And for some very specific reasons it’s OK to use them (CO2 isn’t very good for use on burning people due to the freezing effect). But carrying it into the front line when there’s no fire and spraying it about for any other reason? Completely unacceptable. They’ve got them for one job only. All the handwaving about toxic/nontoxic, in their face/over their head, it’s meaningless, they shouldn’t be discharged at all except in that one case. (and even then fire blankets, which the police are also issued with, are generally more suitable)

Course the police also shouldn’t be lying about whether they were discharged for crowd control reasons but that’s by the by.

Anyway, I apologise for derailing this excellent thread about furniture.

Kunstler

That photo looks like a painting. I like it very much. It reminds me of a skateboard/boat/something that I never had.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

No, far less formal than Linley. That’s probbly more Flashy’s taste, I dunno. Very nice, but I prefer more contemporary/experimental stuff.

Projects for the New Year will include a sofa which converts to a double bed for occasional guests but one what looks nice, not like a sofa bed; a dining table; and rebuilding a 1970s sideboard. The coffee table will be a little indulgence piece; not sure what it’ll look like yet, but I want to produce a range of designs that will hopefully get made and sold. I have a spossible conduit through which to shift stuff.

Wanted to do some stuff for years really. Can’t beat a nice bit of furniture you’ve made yerself.

Anyway, I apologise for derailing this excellent thread about furniture.

😀

You are forgiven. But please, feel free to contribute any thoughts and ideas.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You would need to finish if however you wish to whatever shade, but then lacquer it to protect the cut edges from fraying. Tbh, we’re probably getting a bit technical for you when we start talking about furniture lacquers though. 8)

Go and learn how to make a chair first.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Go and learn how to make a chair first.

Which of course is surprisingly a lot more difficult than one may think.

Great little programme about Georgian homes and furniture on BBC2 right now.

Kunstler

I made a stool once. No, really I did. It had a velour cushion.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

rebuilding a 1970s sideboard

Yeah that sounds like a worthwhile effort.

Is it in bits ?

BTW, you could singalong with this chirpy cockney ditty whilst you’re working on it ….

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9XsKu9WiVs[/video]

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

Gertcha!

No, it’s only a basic inexpensive thing, but I’ve always loved it’s design. It’s battered and tatty now, 35+ years on, so I thought I’d rebuild the thing. I think only the cupboard and drawer handles and front leg piece will remain. Would look good with some very light blonde wood, with dark wood accents, I think….

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

only the cupboard and drawer handles and front leg piece will remain.

Only one leg eh ?

Still, I’m sure it won’t detract from its great beauty.

You must post some pictures when you’ve finished.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I will do I promise. It will look gorgeous.

I tell you; you should see the tat my landlord has furnished this flat with. He has absolutely no taste whatsoever. 🙁

So, any more thoughts on types of ply, and finishing agents?

Viewing 35 posts - 81 through 115 (of 115 total)

The topic ‘Kettling’ is closed to new replies.