Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Kenwood Chef: worth getting
  • zilog6128

if I’m only going to make bread/cakes once a week at the most? I like making my own pizza dough and would like to start making tortillas/naans/focaccia and the GF makes cakes. I know I should just MTFU and knead by hand but I find this a real ball-ache and as I understand it the Kenwood makes short work of this task!

Does anyone use one routinely for non-mixing purposes? Current food-processor is a bit weedy but I’m guessing the one on the Chef would not have that problem so that would probably see a bit of use. Anyone use any of the more esoteric attachments?

There’s one on the Amazon lightning deals at the moment with a decent looking price reduction although it’s still a lot of money!

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

bread and cakes mostly, and use the liquidizer a lot. Also have the herb/spice mill, gets regular use as does power sieve for smooth soups (the tomato and basil oil soup in the recipe book is good). Did get and use the sausage making add on, but good as the sausages were, small quantities are a pain so that’s a back of the cupboard item

JefWachowchow
    Free Member

Yes. We have one that Mrs Wachowchow managed to pick up from the 1970’s. Still has the power of an ox and gets used regularly. We also have a food processor but this is definitely her weapon of choice.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

We have a magimix which mrs deadly uses for baking and it does shorten the work a lot.

Depending on the bread you’re making, it might be useful…but those you mention are pretty much “flat” breads and really don’t need much mixing. I have made fookatcha, and make chapattis/pitta type breads a few times a week. I always do it by hand – it doesn’t take that long. If you’re getting up into doing it regularly, then a processor might be useful, but you can’t really beat kneading by hand.

funkynick

We pretty much cook everything from scratch in our house, and about the only whizzy things which get used regularly are the stick blender for soups and the Kitchen Aid for cakes… bread and pastry are made by hand.

We do use the Magimix occasionally, but unless doing large quantities, we find it almost always quicker or easier by hand… especially when the clearing up is taken in to account!

mt
    Free Member

Yes.

zilog6128

We do use the Magimix occasionally, but unless doing large quantities, we find it almost always quicker or easier by hand… especially when the clearing up is taken in to account!

Hmmm… that’s something that concerned me! No point saving time mixing, etc, if you have to spend ages cleaning out all the attachments, etc. Especially as with breads, etc, I’ll only be making small quantities fresh when required.

nixie

Yes, ours is used loads for cake, bread etc and also for blending/food processing.

willej

Yes. Accept no substitutes. A Chef is for life and can do so many things. We’ve got an ice cream maker for ours, which is ace. I want the mincer next.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Kenwood Chef: worth getting’ is closed to new replies.