• This topic has 62 replies, 51 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by benz.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Just witnessed a terrifying RTA.
  • firestarter
    Free Member

Niksnr i see 🙂 its just we have a number of trained professionals work with us at certain incidents and sometimes its astounding the way they react. I was curious if you had witnessed it as a passer and if its as obvious to those not in that line of work as it is to those on scene but seems as tho youve seen it first hand too

GrahamS

Would people really continue on if they saw an accident ?

Yes sadly:
    http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/how-can-people-behave-like-this

andytherocketeer

hi-vis in car makes sense, regardless of nation of registration of the car. and I was surprised to see so many (even in UK) donning a hi viz when awaiting the RAC, where hi-viz is not a legal requirement.

in some countries, failing to assist an injured citizen is illegal (germany afaik is one), and if you’re a doctor/nurse/medically trained professional you’re obliged by law to assist and provide first aid. sod legal liabilities and all that “oh I might get sued” nonsense. law trumps insurance companies and lawyers.

friend’s son took a daring move on a motorbike. they found his body and bike 3 days later, in a ditch literally round the corner from home. and taht was probably only because a dog walking neighbour decided to go the other way for a change. and there must be one very guilty probably local neighbour that was party to that overtake that’s had to live with that FTS on their mind for several years.

firestarter
    Free Member

Btw my comment is in now way meant to slag anyone more the system and its training methods re training to role rather than training for trainings sake

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

…I waved down a passing ambulance…

Blimey, that was a stroke of luck!

edit: can one of the mods please change the subject to “just witnessed a bell-end get his comeuppance!” 😉

cloudnine
    Free Member

I thought the accepted course of action was to tweet about how you caused the accident and LOL.. it made you late for work.

But.. top work for potentially saving a fellow human.. hope you and he’s ok.
    What did you tweet btw??

kcal

On way back from a wedding with a mate, coming back up the M6 in my Citroen; we moved to overtake a car, which (I think) was in turn overtaking another car in lane 1. As we all drew alongside, on a sloping downhill right hander, I was aware that the inside car has spectacularly failed the bend – in fact the old codger had simply fallen asleep..

Ken and I unwound our overtake; trundled up the hard shoulder, mid Sunday afternoon so quite quite (this was approx 1986). Phoned the emergency box who came along, no-one badly hurt though the bunch of oldies a bit shaken up.. Could have been worse.

Gunz
    Free Member

What did you tweet btw??

Not a fan of the medium but something like #Imighthaveaweewhiskyandcuddlethekidstonight, would suffice

BrickMan

Sounds like you did the right thing, banging on the brakes immediately could have caused another accident, so taking stock of situation then doubling back sounds good to me.

About 4 years ago a woman did exactly that, she slid off the A75 (west of Dumfries) in poor road conditions into some woods approaching a 30mph zone. I think it took ~3 days until a dog walker in a field even discovered the car. The driver had perished, chances it was on impact and not a drawn out affair.

I witnessed another driver flip a car through a hedge, I was driving pretty quick, decided I wanted to slow down as the next bit of road is in a terrible condition, car behind was having none of it so came past me in a safe manner. 2 minutes later noticed that she wasn’t ahead of me anymore (road opens up), looked in my mirror to see the car upside down in a field. Went to help, just cuts and bruises, but she was shaken up and not even aware of how she had come to be upside down in a field. She wasn’t breaking the limit (60), its just a bad road and not suitable to be driving at that sort of speed, she paid the price.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

Nice one Gunz. I wish I had a job that made me want to take risks to get there earlier, but there again I’d just set off earlier.
    It never ceases to amaze me on my commute how many people want to do well above the national speed limit just to get to work, they must love their jobs.

unknown
    Free Member

If I’ve learned anything from STW it’s that this accident happened because the overtaker simply didn’t have a powerful enough car. They should issue turbos on the NHS so everyone can make progress and/or press on in complete safety.

Andy-R

Well done for stopping youd be amazed how many drive on by

After I’d stopped recently to rescue a woman from an overturned Honda HRV (by smashing the sunroof with my lump hammer) that’s pretty much what the first policeman on the scene said to me – “thank you for stopping and helping, lots of people can’t be bothered”.

I actually find that hard to believe – what sort of malaka wouldn’t stop??

CountZero

= wearing hi viz?, don’t become another victim yourself!

I’ll be buying one tonight, it was a bit nerve wracking running into morning traffic in the dark.
    I’ve got two in the car, tucked into the seat back pockets, both were picked up from the edge of the road where they’d obviously blown out of a pick-up bed. One orange, (there’s a railway maintenance yard just along that road), the other yellow, but fortunately I’ve not had to use either since I aquired them.
    I’ve only come across one RTA where I had to stop, and that one involved a fatality, but others were in front of me.
    Hopefully things stay that way.
    Good work by the OP, I’d have done exactly the same under the circumstances.

teasel
    Free Member

Stationary objects dont crash so speed is always a factor, the only question is how much of a factor.

Thanks for those pearls of wisdom junky! [/quote]

I know, right. And he has the temerity to slate other folk’s contribution to threads.

It’s like he’s ****in’ twelve years old or something, sometimes*.

*Oh okay, a lot of the time but you know what I mean.

milky1980
    Free Member

Good work by the OP, I’d have done exactly the same under the circumstances.

Same here, it’s would seem inhuman to not help.

All the stories above have re-awakened a few bad memories from when I was 18. Had been to a party in Haverfordwest and was driving back in a 3-car convoy, all old Mini’s. The lead car got a bit ahead so we were chasing him down only for it to be hit head-on by a Sierra. I was the third car so didn’t see the impact but the girls in the second car were given a grandstand view. Was a right mess all over the road. Road blocked, full emergency response etc. Still didn’t stop some idiot trying to barge his way through by driving down the verge 🙄

The girl who was the front passenger in the second car is still a very nervous passenger to this day and point-blank refuses to learn to drive as she doesn’t want the responsibility of being in charge of other people’s safety.

alanl
    Free Member

Me and my mate, driving separately to a job in a rural village, around 8am.
    “Did you see that car in the ditch?”
    “The one that was standing on its bonnet – yes, I saw it too.”
    “How on earth did they get out of that?”

My mate goes home around 12 noon, rings me on the way – the driver of the crashed car hadnt got out, he was hanging on his seatbelt for 4 hours or so, until someone actually stopped to check the wreckage, then the ambulance/fire had to cut the roof off to get him out.
    Probably 1000+ vehicles had gone past in those 4 hours, no-one had stopped.

Drac

Probably 1000+ vehicles had gone past in those 4 hours, no-one had stopped.

1002?

molgrips
    Free Member

yet we continue to focus blindly on “speed” as the root cause.

Oh shut up, don’t turn the thread into a soap box.

Good work OP and some good comments from others. Good thread, bad incident.

felltop

3 years ago we were on our way to visit my mother in law on a wet afternoon. Rounded a bend to see 2 cars pulled in to side with hazards on, as we passed my wife saw a car in the trees, which was why the others had stopped. We pulled over and ran back (both first aid trained). To cut a long story short, driver died in my wife’s hands whilst I tried to distract her daughter who was on the back seat.

My message is – if you see something on the road that you are not sure about, pull over safely and go back to have a look. It’s worth 5 minutes of your time.

teasel
    Free Member

Molgrips ›› Oh shut up, don’t turn the thread into a soap box.

A bit rich coming from you. Probably time you re-read Mark’s sticky on page one, eh.

footflaps

yet we continue to focus blindly on “speed” as the root cause.

You might, most don’t.

M1llh0use
    Free Member

am i the only one that wants to see a map of where said incident took place?

benz
    Free Member

Timely thread.

Just been with my wife and daughter to a travelling cinema.

On our way back at a series of bends near our village I caught reflection off number plates….found safe place to stop, hazards on, hi-viz donned ( just put it in the car this morning on back of this thread…) and walked back with my torch.

I was happy to see occupant was no longer in car, although car was on it’s side they had managed to get out, lock the doors and go. Called 101 with the reg number and happy to say the lady driver was fine.

Another hi-viz just bought off ebay for my wife’s car too….

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Just witnessed a terrifying RTA.’ is closed to new replies.