Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Just curious – who is giving the "C" word a miss this year?
  • FOG

My wife is obsessed, one xmas prezzie is not enough, we have to spend the GNP of Mali on stuff for each other and the kids not to mention food ,drink etc. The younger son has inherited her obsession. Well. you say ickle kiddywinks love it. HE'S TWENTY EIGHT for GOD'S SAKE!! He has taken 3 weeks holiday from work so he can play on his console and do nothing. I don't know what his girlfriend thinks but when it gets to summer and she wants to go somewhere warm, he has no holiday left! He won't even go out on his bike–it might be cold. In fact I have been thinking of selling it as it is in my garage at the moment because he has no storage at his current house. I don't mind xmas but I am cast in the role of Scrooge if I say a word about these excesses. Oh and I can hardly get out on my bike because her indoors thinks it is anti-social to leave all the hundreds of people she invites to go off on my own!

cinnamon_girl

Well, I'm doing a bit of compromising but being the contrary type, very much on my terms 🙄

Nevertheless I am sticking to my guns about gifts – scrooge moi?

muddydwarf
    Free Member

This will be my 1st ever Xmas un-employed in 42 yrs. Not a nice feeling when everyone makes a point of telling me 'don't bother with a present, save your money'…

It's a bit weird, what with everything thats gone on but it's only one day.

cinnamon_girl

FOG – that's terrible! But I really would choose your words carefully – most mothers think the sun shines … etc etc… of their sons (and I can empathise here). Let him be his gf's problem, not your wife's!

Next year you need to order a couple of expensive bikes and then tell her there's no money left 😉

Bunnyhop

We're not sending presents this year, unless it's for the children of the family, even then it's a £5 minium.

We were invited by some close friends to spend the 25th at their gorgeous cottage. Mtbing with them in the day, very late Christmas lunch, then a nice slobby evening in front of their wood burner – perfect.
    Then the guilt of not being at my Mothers house overcame me and I had to say that family loyalty came first. Sometimes we can't always do the things we would like, instead thinking of others, even though it'll make us a bit cheesed off.

epo-aholic
    Free Member

if only i could………… 🙁

cinnamon_girl

Bunnyhop – that did sound like a lovely invite though. Sometimes it's very difficult to live with your conscience.

I was determined not to cook another Xmas dinner last year cos circumstances had changed, I needed to move on. Family thought I would still do Xmas though. My (adult) kids were particularly disgusted by my attitude.

No regrets on what I did. For once I did what was right for me and not try pleasing everybody else.

Bunnyhop

c_g – you've totally done what's right for you. High five to you.

cinnamon_girl

Bunnyhop – my family told me I was being selfish!

Bunnyhop

They're being selfish expecting you to wait on them.

My Mother always annoys me at Christmas with her magic words ' let the men relax, they've worked hard all year', aarrgghh, what does that mean?
    On Christmas day my brother, brother in law and hubby, don't have to lift a finger, while we ( females) run around like idiots, cooking, washing up, making drinks, letting then have what they like on the box. I always leave early on in the evening, otherwise I'll explode.

And breath.

cinnamon_girl

Different generation Bunnyhop but at least ours will be enlightened! Trouble is men probably do as they are told so as to not rock the boat and upset the matriarch.

Sounds sensible to leave early and avoid confrontation. Then finally relax!!

Peregrine
    Free Member

Can be a tough time of year for some people, for me its not to bad but like other i seem to spend the time doing what the GF wants just to keep the peace.

If i'm lucky i may get out for a run on the 25th.

Bagstard
    Free Member

After two years of badgering I gave in and allowed my wife a puppy. Said pup is now 11 months and I love her to bit's, but it does mean we can't go to my dog fearing, immaculately housed sister's whose turn it is this year.

My wife is a bit miffed, but we will have a lovely country walk with said pooch and then I'm determined to make her the best Christmas dinner ever (lamb, not turkey.)Then drive down to my other (dog loving) sister for drinks and nibbles.

My Mum doesn't cook Christmas dinner anymore and quite right too. She has been doing it for the last thirty odd years and earned her retirement.

Looking forward to nice walks and bike rides.

Viewing 13 posts - 81 through 93 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Just curious – who is giving the "C" word a miss this year?’ is closed to new replies.