Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Just been to Sherwood Pines, very impressive.
  • Mugboo

Before i get shouted down by all the rad dudes..

We were there for a skills day so 10 till 4.30 was training. We decided as we were there we should give the red run a blast. As the weather has been perfect its largly dry as a bone (not a lot of hardcore so not sure how it’ll ride after heavy rain).

It is not a difficult place to ride and other than being narrow singletrack (almost exclusively) with a drainage ditch alongside there are no real obsticles of note apart from the small pier drop that was there before.

But take your hardtail, get a real pedal on, ride as hard and fast as you can and it twists and turns superbly, and you can take your less experienced mates. Its probably good for your fitness too cos you never stop pedaling. I’ve never ridden a cross bike but it looked good for that too.

We had a look at the dirt jumps, there’s a line of small tabletops for us silly old buggers and some proper looking jumps for sick/gnarly kids.

There is even a freeride area that looks up my street, but i was pooped by then and the rear pads had gone (excuses,excuses!!).

All in all impressive, for a forest with no hills its good (in the dry).

Plus it was good to see how busy a forest can be when someone gives people multiple reasons to get off their arse…

ChrisS
    Free Member

Was there on Saturday, first time I’d ridden the XC loop, did it twice for good measure and it seemed pretty good. I can see why they need the drainage ditches but it did feel a bit weird to ride, made for very little line choice. In fact that’s probably my only criticism, the whole loop was a bit monotonous (if miles of single track can every be considered monotonous!). Obviously there isn’t much elevation to play with and there a few narrower twisty bits and a few slightly more open bits, however on the whole there isn’t much variety over the 13km. Ideal singlespeed terrain though, one gear was more than enough.

I’m not complaining as it was still miles better than what used to be there and I’m sure there is some other stuff hidden in the trees, would just have liked a bit more variety.

Pook

glad you liked it – hope to see you on the next STW meet!!!

Sad old men in lycra.

funkynick

Was there on Saturday as well, and wasn’t the weather fantastic!!

Finally managed to ride the whole loop as one, without popping off and doing something else part way round, and had a blast… that first section is fast as you like… decided to slow down after that as I would just blow my legs up at that pace!

Also stopped and had a look at the wall rides… I don’t think I’ll be doing that for a while!

adey205
    Free Member

chris s

you really need to explore with a local to get the best out of the place.

loads out there if you know where to look 😀

bikerbruce
    Free Member

did the new route in 28mins fast

will
    Free Member

The whole route…If so your batting on for an average speed of 20mph. I did the new route in 49mins, and i thought i was going ok.

adey205
    Free Member

“did the new route in 28mins fast”

so its you riding round on the motor bike!!!

you sure it’s the whole route?!

ChrisS
    Free Member

Took me an hour or so for the first loop and a bit longer for the second, stopped a few times along the way though.

I’ve been to Sherwood Pines a few times and in the past I’ve just gone of exploring on my own, did do a STW ride there many years ago led my Mad Pierre IIRC.

Just thought the XC loop could do with a bit more variety, maybe some rocky bits? or some raised wooden sections over the boggy bits, or maybe a few faster sections with multiple line choices – either from a wider track or smaller paths splitting off and rejoining. I guess the closest thing to this was the section near the “downhill” tracks just past the bike park where there are a few interesting line choices…..

I’m being churlish really as it was still a heck of a lot better than it used to be!

will
    Free Member

adey205 – Member

so its you riding round on the motor bike!!!

you sure it’s the whole route?!

My thoughts as well. If so, well done, however at 20mph average i actually think that is impossiable.

I think the new route is a great fun little ride, nothing to be taken to seriously though, well i don’t think so anyway. Just a good fun, fast ride.

twang
    Free Member

Ive just got back from an after work blast. Gotta say the new loop’s coming into its own now its proper dry, so fast…loved it. Pump them tyres up, pedal like a nutter and let it rip!

ventanarider
    Free Member

bikerbruce – Member
    did the new route in 28mins fast

really?

will
    Free Member

Bikerbruce – We need evidence 😆

adey205
    Free Member

yeah!!!!! we need evidence!

dont think it’s actually possible

adey205
    Free Member

unless you’re doing it on a road bike round the car park
    ha ha!

will
    Free Member

I said it before, an average of 20mph…even on the super fast straight stuff you’ll be hitting around 25mph, twisty stuff more like 12-15mph, seeing as most of the route is tight twisty stuff.

Maybe were just jealous 🙄

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Just been to Sherwood Pines, very impressive.’ is closed to new replies.