• This topic has 62 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Kuco.
Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Just been hit on duel carriageway
  • Cougar

… it’s illegal?

TBF, if his speedo said 65 then he was probably doing somewhere around 60 anyway.

woody2000

If it’s a dual carriageway with a central reservation, and national speed limit in force, then the limit is 70.

thenorthwind

Not in a van (unless a camper on the V5)

Rusty-Shackleford
    Free Member

bigshep – Member
    Not sure if it’s already been said but you probably shouldn’t be telling people you were breaking the speed limit yourself…

How do you know the OP was breaking the speed limit?

thenorthwind

Whilst coming back from a ride this evening, doing 65mph

grahamt1980

Certain vans can do 70 on dual carriageways. Depends on what the van was registered as.
    Don’t be a dick

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

The speed limit will have been 70 !

Cougar

And in the very next sentence,

Thankfully driving a T5

Limit for a van on a DC os 60, not 70.

woody2000

Limit seems a bit vague – if it has back seats and side windows (Combi?), then he could do 70. Anyhoo, not really relevant I suppose!

Cougar

Certain vans can do 70 on dual carriageways.

Ones that are basically cars with filled in windows, yes. I could be wrong but I can’t think offhand how the 60 limit wouldn’t apply to a T5.

thenorthwind

Certain vans can do 70 on dual carriageways. Depends on what the van was registered as.
    Don’t be a dick

Wasn’t aware of that (apart from the camper, and car-derived vans, which a T5 isn’t). Wasn’t being a dick, just sharing what I know (or thought I knew) to help someone understand better. Not sure how that’s being a dick.

grahamt1980

Ok. Maybe a bit harsh sorry. Just seemed that you were trying to pick fault with the op.
    As far as I am aware certain types of can can be classified on the v5 as being able to do nationals. Can’t remember what the codes are but it was something I half heartedly looked at before being persuaded I didn’t need a van yet….

grahamt1980
    thenorthwind

No worries. Maybe I shouldn’t have waded in on something I don’t know that much about. My understanding of it is pretty much what you said.

Someone else brought up the fact that the OP was doing over the limit (notwithstanding the fact that his speedo was probably overreading and he was probably doing less than 60 anyway, as someone’s already pointed out), and I’d noticed and had the same thought. Didn’t mean to criticise though – doubt the police would give much consideration of that if it was admitted anyway.

deepreddave
    Free Member

I’ve a T5 shuttle which is a car on the v5. I drive well within speed limits anyway but thought that 70 might come in handy on the longer trips.

To the OP I hope it gets sorted easily but suspect it will prove tyresome (pun intended).

project
    Free Member

From experience, as similar happened to me on a DC, get out of van ask if other driver passengers are ok, swop details etc, examine damage, and drive home, ring insurance next day when you get up with stiff neck and back.

Insurance then arrange for replacemt Daewoo matiz or other small car, to be delivered not a van, you argue you need a van for work, eventually they provide a new van, go to hire co to sign your life away and be told by some kid about damage waivers, dirty vans etc will all be chargeable etc, go out to inspect new van and despite whats just been told you, its full of tree branches and general rubbish.

You then go to GP, who diagnoses Whiplash and back pain and refers you to a physio to start in a few weeks time.

A few days latter your van is taken away and repairs undertaken about 4 weeks, and you get your old van back.

project
    Free Member

Finallyo/p did you tell insures it needed buisneess use and had internal racking, questions you should answer truthfully.

nemesis
    Free Member

I’ve had whiplash a couple of times, about a year apart.

The first time it was sore but I didn’t do anything about it. It took several weeks to die down but it was never that bad.

The second time, I didn’t go to A&E/Minor injuries of a doctor but it got worse after a couple of days so I told the insurance people who got me to one of their doctors to assess it.

Just to make the point that you don’t have to have gone directly to a doctor to still make a (justifiable) claim.

But do make sure that you tell the insurance people and play it straight.

mimmiethecat
    Free Member

Quick update, according to police front desk staff and 101 phone person if insurance details exchanged no accident report required or seemingly any chance of anyone accepting one. Not in any shape or form interested. Certainly not interested in my admission that I was doing 65mph in a VAN though maybe the capital letters will give them a clue.

Should have stuck to my 85 is good policy and avoided the whole thing.

Dr suggested ibuprofen, would never have though of that! Narrowly avoided the Deawoo Matiz effect today thanks Project, tree branches tomorrow.

Thanks for the input, and next time I am involved in a accident I will remember to try harder with my spelling, interestingly notes I took at the scene are almost gibberish and barely legible so I guess a bit of adrenaline is involved

cinnamon_girl

If it’s a dual carriageway with a central reservation, and national speed limit in force, then the limit is 70.

Nope, that’s wrong. I was caught doing less than 70.

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

issue a challenge for pistols at dawn

I see what you did there!

‘Just been hit on a duel carriageway’

Very good!

woody2000

Then the national limit wasn’t in place c_g, or you were driving a vehicle that is subject to lower speed limts.

https://www.gov.uk/speed-limits

Kuco

Vans is 60 on dual carriage ways and max 50 on single carriage ways unless road limit is lower. Just had telematics fitted to works L200 van and now religiously stick to speed limits.

Which has pissed the people off at work with Mitsubishi outlanders which are car derived and yet my work place has classed them as van so they have to stick to the lower speed limits.

Viewing 23 posts - 41 through 63 (of 63 total)

The topic ‘Just been hit on duel carriageway’ is closed to new replies.