Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • JRA Tyre Sealant – going solid – why?
  • large418
    Free Member

fitted some new tyres last weekend to new wheels, and filled with about 80mL of JRA wheel milk. On Weds the front tyre did not slosh, and was very unbalanced, so had a quick look inside and there was a big chunk of solid latex. Did a big ride yesterday (Thurs) and the rear also feels very unbalanced, so may have gone the same way.

I originally used CO2 canisters to get the tyre pumped up, but am pretty sure I then let the air out and used a floor pump (but might be wrong). Never had this problem with Stans sealant.

What’s going on – even if the carbon dioxide is causing the latex to solidify, I would have thought it would take weeks, not a few days. Anyone else had similar issues? Is it JRA wheel milk or do they all do it? Can I add anything to the sealant to stop it happening?

Cheers all

uplink
    Free Member

Is it JRA wheel milk

It is indeed, use Stan’s or Joe’s

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Been using wheel milk for many years with no problems . Most probably caused by using a co2 inflator .

brassneck

If the sealant weas in there when you used the CO2 that’d break it – I think it’s the cold of the CO2 rather than the gas that causes it to ball up.

I often seat a tyre with CO2, ride it a few minutes, then pop a bead to put the sealant in.

large418
    Free Member

Good point that Brassneck – I’ve tried that before and it’s worked OK, I was just in a rush this time, plus I was having trouble getting the tyres seated.

I’ve used JRA and Stans before and they’ve been fine, just couldn’t work out what was different this time.

njee20
    Free Member

I found that with Wheel Milk too, irrespective of whether a track pump/CO2 was used, often solidified in no time at all. It’s a false economy IMO. Stan’s is vastly superior, I’ve never had it dry out, and have often transferred it between tyres multiple times.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘JRA Tyre Sealant – going solid – why?’ is closed to new replies.