Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Joining the RAF reserves
  • teabreak
    Free Member

Can anyone tell me if I joined up either the intelligence or regiment, what’s the chances of being sent to afghanistan?

Duffer
    Free Member

Intelligence, probably. Regt, definitely.

But they perform vastly different roles. Spending 6 months patrolling local villages is not the same as “being sent to Afghanistan” and spending 4 months on Bastion in an air conditioned office.

monkeychild
    Free Member

Int & regt, will see you on your hollybobs to dusty places. Reserve forces aren’t the scouts for adults anymore, you have to earn your money.

TooTall
    Free Member

Highly unlikely. By the time you would pass your training and become properly useful, the drawdown of forces in Afghanistan will be well under way.

Odd first post on a mountain biking forum.

DT78
    Free Member

It’s Iran you’ll need to worry about….

mactheknife

Would it be a problem if you went??

willard

Without wanting to sound like I am passing the problem on to someone else, this is precisely the sort of question your should be aiming at your AFCO or future PSAO.

Asking some mountain bikers that you know vaguely from the internet is probably not the best way to get information.

bruders338
    Free Member

I agree with Too tall.
    The problem with reserves your looking at a min of a year to be trained to basic level then if you add trade etc to that add another 1/2 years due to course times etc etc..

And if you can get the time off work to full fill your need to get through quicker.

Either way highly unlikely your go to Afghan..

davetrave
    Free Member

Dealing, as I do, with TA mobilisation for operations in my current post, the same rules and regulations apply to the RAF Reserve. Reserve Forces Act 1996 sets the conditions for compulsory mobilisations of Reserve Forces and the circumstances under which Reservists can be called up for service. If you’re in a pinch-point trade, i.e. one where there are insufficient Regulars to meet the requirements on ops, then you should expect to be called up at some point. I don’t believe Regiment (having spent 2 years attached to them) or Int are pinch-point in the RAF (although one of my light blue brethren may be along soon to give a better answer on that) and therefore you’ll only go if you volunteer to be mobilised*.

*note this is not a legally binding get-out clause if you are mobilised… 🙄

mikertroid
    Free Member

High and high once trained.

willard

davetrave, you’re not up near Nottingham are you?

davetrave
    Free Member

I can see there are lots of otehr “experts” here, have I met any of you while I’ve been attached to the RAF or working in the Operations and Commitments branch? If so you’ve quite clearly attended different meetings to the ones I have… 😐

davetrave
    Free Member

I might be… Why…? 8)

willard

Just wondering… I’m due to be heading that way later in the year before heading out east for a bit.

teabreak
    Free Member

Better to ask strangers that don’t know me as I can also be more candid.
    I asked here cos I wanted some “off the record opinions” from those in the know, rather than asking at an open day and sounding like a trigger happy gun nut :o)

I would prefer to go there, I’m getting P’d off sitting comfy at home twiddling my thumbs instead of helping the lads n lasses out so to speak. I’d join later after my college course whn I’d have more time, but would put things on hold and join now if I could go.
    I left the TA ages ago just before the conflicts started, intending to re-join later, only to find out I couldn’t get back in a few years ago due to being too old. I’ve only just discovered i’m not too old for the RAF reserves.

Another thing is my weight. I’m into weight training so my bmi is over the limit, (not sure how strict they are)wearing my bike out to burn excess muscle off. not something I thought I’d be doing!

monkeychild
    Free Member

I am a blue suit and know regt reserves who have spent a fair time away. I also work with int guys and the reserve guys on camp deploy quite a bit. So I am not spouting BS.

mikertroid
    Free Member

I agree with monkey child.

DickBarton

RAF reserves??? Do you have to supply your own plane?

monkeychild
    Free Member

You hire one. It’s a bit cheaper than bike hire like.

porlus
    Free Member

I tried to join the RAF reserves around 4 years ago (failed medical). Was told on pre-start the process interview that once trained, you will be asked to go somewhere warmer for a few months.
    The squadron I tried to join was 609 sqn (reserves) RAF Leeming. When you are picked to go away, you are generally seconded to a full time squadron to boost numbers. Part of the call up period is spending a couple of months getting battle trained before deployment. Then its away you go. Once deployment is over there is a cool down before starting the civvie job again.
    Good luck in applying. Im still hacked off about not getting in. But beware though. Some reservists have been killed in action.

teabreak
    Free Member

Sorry your still hacked off Porlus, at least you had a go. Yep I’ve thought of the risk. Re: hiring a plane, good job it’s not the navy reserves! Lol

renton
    Free Member

I know for a fact you will deploy to Afghanistan if you joined the regiment as Im currently out here and have been chatting to the rocks that are out here and im sure they’ve got a few reservists out with them.

not sure about the int side of things sorry.

TooTall
    Free Member

I know for a fact you will deploy to Afghanistan if you joined the regiment

If he had joined a year or two ago, yes. Do you know how long it takes reservists to get fully Q’d up and ready to deploy given the OP hasn’t even applied yet? I’d put a day of your wages on him not getting to Afghanistan.

porlus
    Free Member

We were told minimum of 18 months reservist training, plus the 2-3 month training with seconded unit.
    Nay worries Teabreak. Tried to join the RAF from school, that didnt work out either. The auggies was going to be my second chance of a childhood dream. My lass was chuffed I didnt get in though 😀

randomjeremy
    Free Member

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Intelligent mobilisation guys – you’ll only go if you volunteer to go (or in a very very few special cases be told to go).
    Volunteered for a tour twice now and been knocked back twice (medical issues).

davetrave
    Free Member

Rockhopper – correct, intelligent mobilisation = mobilising those who want to volunteer, not all and sundry.. Yes the Regt have got reservists with them, but they’ve volunteered to be called up.

Willard, I’m not at the place in Nottingham you’ll be visiting but am on the same barracks, they train those I call up…

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Joining the RAF reserves’ is closed to new replies.