Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Job interview outcome
  • Flaperon

When is it too early to pester a company for the outcome of a job interview? Had second interview a fortnight ago and haven’t heard anything since. Tempted to give them a quick call but equally don’t want to annoy an overworked recruitment department.

footflaps

shows you’re keen – I’d make a polite call….

King-ocelot
    Free Member

I think 2 weeks is fine, if you were not given a timescale. Good luck.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I was in this situtaion recently. The key is to ask them at interview when you could expect to hear from them. Then when this date passes, you have good reason to call. (Still waiting for my final start date though).

tonyg2003

Hi. I’d say that, sorry, but you probably haven’t got the job. The prospective employers are probably waiting on references from the first choice. No many organisations take longer than 2 weeks to get back to a successful candidate. I’d ring – nothing to lose.

morgs
    Free Member

if you’ve waited this long I’d say you’ve waited too long.

should have asked in interview and if not, should have rang at latest after a week

Flaperon

Called them, they’re still deciding!

Have spoken to three other people at the same assessment who’ve received a PFO email (hence my surprise at hearing nothing) but perhaps I’m a particularly dire case.

chrissyboy
    Free Member

It’s a bit of a strange one asking at interview. I always do – but the last 2 interviews I had, when I asked the question they both said “oh, this is a process we’re going through, likely to take a couple of months”. These interviews were both on the same day, in the same industry. Needless to say I was a bit crestfallen to hear this.

However, I got phone calls about both of them later that day to offer me both jobs…. So I’d say that it’s a bit pointless to ask at interview, but if you haven’t heard after a couple of weeks then in all probability you haven’t been successful – so ring them, nowt to lose!

*Edit* – great news, at least it’s still undecided.

Onzadog
    Free Member

PFO? Please F Off?

donsimon
    Free Member

No news can be good news. However by phoning them you might now look a little desperate and have possibly fallen down the rankings, sorry.
    🙁
    🙁
    🙁
    😥
    🙁
    🙁
    Good luck btw.

Flaperon

Onzadog – correct. 🙂

fubar
    Free Member

Called them, they’re still deciding!

My experience in this situation is that they are waiting for their first choice to sign on the dotted line. You might be 2nd or 3rd choice and so haven’t been given the PFO emai just yet (until the 1st choice has committed). Hope I’m wrong !

footflaps

It’s August, people are on hols. HR departments are notoriously incompetent… don’t read anything into lack of feedback.

My company has had people only get offered a contract weeks after they’ve started due to HR being incompetent….

allthepies
    Free Member

However by phoning them you might now look a little desperate and have possibly fallen down the rankings, sorry.

That would seem a bizarre reaction from a potential employer when a keen candidate makes an enquiry.

edhornby

wot footflaps said – it’s august and the HR persons haven’t been in contact with the recruiter department, you’ve given them a reminder

Also Don Simon is talking rubbish – the HR dept aren’t the ones making the decision so ringing up asking for an update won’t make it less likely to get a job, you’d have to ring about 5 times a day every day and be an ar5e on the phone to the potential line manager for that to be the case

good luck matey and keep up with the other avenues until someone gives you a bit of paper to sign 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

That would seem a bizarre reaction from a potential employer when a keen candidate makes an enquiry.

But it would also be a key indicator in that I wouldn’t want to work for anyone that doesn’t have a sense of humour or have the ability to detect humour.
    But don’t worry about it too much.

allthepies
    Free Member

But it would also be a key indicator in that I wouldn’t want to work for anyone that doesn’t have a sense of humour or have the ability to detect humour.

Boss having a sense of humour isn’t too high on my priority list 🙂

donsimon
    Free Member

I gave up working with boring farts years ago. Now I have to say my boss is a top guy with a f***ing wicked sense of humour.

Onzadog
    Free Member

My experience of the “still deciding” which occurred earlier this month was exactly that. They were looking for 21 people. I’ve no idea if they’d picked me and were still deciding on the other 20 or if they’d picked 20 and I was in the running for the last spot. Either way, it took them almost a month to decide in which time I made a polite enquiry by phone on two occasions and I start work with them soon.

It’s not over until the fat lady (from HR) sings. If the guy (gal) doing the hiring and firing wants you, they want you. Chances are, they’ll never know you called HR to chase them up.

Flaperon

Well, the company in question is looking for at least 140 people this year, so hopefully I’m through the first round of culling at least. They did emphasise all the way through the assessment process that we weren’t in competition with each other.

samuri
    Free Member

If I interviewed someone who I found I wanted, the agency would know before they got home.

Of course, this could be a public sector job in which case, 6 months wait is fine. Maybe longer.

Cougar

It could be seconds or months, there’s no simple answer.

I don’t think there’s much to lose by chasing. However, there’s not a lot to gain either; as soon as they know ‘you’ve got the job’ then so will you. In the meantime, you should keep looking.

OTOH, if you’ve got another offer but would prefer the original post, then you’ve got cause to ring (and a good bargaining tool).

If you’ve had one job interview and are waiting to hear back before having any others, you’re being a fool to yourself. Keep going to interviews.

Oh – and good luck.

mikertroid
    Free Member

Flaperon, it sounds like you’re applying for BA. It’s been taking longer than expected for people to get their result, if that helps.

Flaperon

Cheers mikertroid, it does! Started the application back in March so I suppose I shouldn’t be getting twitchy about another two weeks. 🙂

RichPenny
    Free Member

But I always thought you were self employed Don?

donsimon
    Free Member

Exactly, he’s a damned handsome chap too… 😀

mikertroid
    Free Member

Hope it works out for you

exposed
    Free Member

Don Simon/the boss

Flaperon

Update: Got the “Yes” email today. 😀

donsimon
    Free Member

Excellent news, now have a celebratory **** (**** = whatever tickles your fancy).

mikertroid
    Free Member

Well done! Hoping to get a sim date myself soon too…

Onzadog
    Free Member

Well done. Just goes to prove that no news is good news. Same happened to me. Waited ages for the yes.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Job interview outcome’ is closed to new replies.