Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Jersey or Guernsey?
  • 40mpg

Want to take my missus away for the weekend for her birthday, we dont manage these sort of things much (usually because of kids & my cycling – just the odd weekend in a damp field) and only being a short drive from Southampton airport it seems like a good idea.

Only decision is Jersey or Guernsey? Much difference in things to do when there?

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

Alderney!

like a step back in time to the ’50s

miles of beaches, walking galore and little else.

ps – Take a torch for bunker exploring

MTB-Idle
    Free Member

I’ve been to both a number of times in my role as international high flying financier/drugs mule and would suggest Guernsey.

IMO its prettier and more likely to appeal to SWMBO but the waterfront at St Peter Port has lots of nice restaurants close together and is a pleasant evening out.

Last time i was in Guernsey, the cabbie radio’d back to control “avoid the junction of xxx and xxx, there’s a tailback”.

I looked out the rear mirror to see just four, yes four cars sitting at a junction!

willard

ALDERNEY!!!!!!

Did anyone mention the very high proportion of licensed premeses to population ratio?

Also, it’s a really nice place. Steve and Paul Collins at the Belle Vue hotel will make sure your stay is nice. You also get to fly there on a Trislander. Which is like riding a rollercoaster. With wings.

lubemaster
    Free Member

Come to Jersey it's beautiful and it has many nice pubs/restaurants and very good nightlife.
    Don't go to Guernsey, they shag Donkeys there 🙂

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

I'd say Guernsey lots of cool interesting things to do. It was years ago now I went and as kids went to some cool museums and lots of interesting stuff about occupation during the war.

Zulu-Eleven
    Free Member

spoken like a true Crapaud 😆

Yes, I'd forgotten the pubs – two thousand alcoholics clinging to a rock, only export is empty bottles etc.

Seriously, Alderney – apparently lonely planet have just voted it one of the best kept tourism secrets there is

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Come to Guernsey and I'll take you out for a bike ride!

You can do a day trip to Herm and Sark while you are here, so you can have a proper Channel Island weekend.

And anyway it was a horse

Burts
    Free Member

Biased ex-local here with another vote for Guernsey, smaller and more intimate than Jersey. Day-trip to Herm/Sark very worthwhile if the weather is good, but don't bother on a bad day.

Petit Bot, Guernsey:

Belvoir Bay, Herm:

UncleFred
    Free Member

Stop with the pictures you're making me homesick!!!

Avoid Jersey, too many Bergerac wannabee's.

Biased but Guernsey's museums are better, Fort Grey (Cup and Saucer) really worth a visit for some Pirate/Shipwreck History, Castle Cornet has some great history. The Guernsey Museum. German tunnels at La Vallette, Occupation Museum, Underground Hospital, some restored German bunkers on the South Coast, Amazing cliff walks. Beaches are pretty good too.

The Town sea front is much prettier than Jersey and there's some cracking restaurants.

Definetly also consider a day trip to Herm or an overnight stay in Sark.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

Yeah,Guernsey is great

Went to Sark a few months ago – saw the Milky Way in all it's glory for the first time ever.

No light pollution you see

lubemaster
    Free Member

[Have to admit Sark and Herm are absolutely stunning but you can get to them via Jersey and miss Guernsey out completely. 🙂

We have beautiful Beaches ranging from surfing beaches to pebbly ones to secluded little coves, one of my favourites being this one.

We have some excellent scenic cliff paths which we can ride on

And our historic sites like Castles and Dolmens are second to none.

So there you have it come to sunny Jersey you know it makes sense 😉

samuri
    Free Member

I preferred Guernsey. Apart from almost shagging a man.

silverpigeon
    Free Member

We have beautiful Beaches ranging from surfing beaches to pebbly ones to secluded little coves

Pah! Jersey beaches are rubbish. Every Channel Islander knows that for the best beaches IN THE WORLD you have to go to Guernsey 😉

I submit the following evidence (which may not stand up in court)

I might also be a bit drunk

lubemaster
    Free Member

I preferred Guernsey. Apart from almost shagging a man

that is understandable most of the women do look like men in Guernsey 😆

As for those pictures of beaches in Guernsey, yes you have drunk too much. I remember visiting those beaches when I went travelling in Thailand or maybe it was Guernsey must have been those magic mushroom omelettes I had.

I can back up my rant with more beautiful beaches here in Jersey

looking back at my replys on this subject maybe I should work for Jersey Tourism

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

If your short of books and love tomatoes Guernsey!!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Jersey or Guernsey?’ is closed to new replies.