• This topic has 39 replies, 32 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Moses.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • jeans and the elder gentleman
  • oldgit
    Free Member

Given up.

given up.
    If you have a 30/32″ waist, why do they assume you have the legs of a 12 year old.
    So the missus dragged me out last night to try loads on.
    Long and short, to fit over knees I have to buy 34″ waist. These just fall straight down as I walk.
    Anyway hoiked them up with a tight belt.

So jeans for 55 year old that doesn’t have smack head legs?

scaredypants

*CBA, but please imagine a picture of Clarkson here*

mtbtom
    Free Member

I don’t think it’s an older gentleman problem – I have this problem too. Although I’m not 12 either.

I tell myself it’s my muscly thighs from cycling.

GTDave
    Free Member

Older gentlemen shops probably best bet then.
    M&S Blue Harbour jeans.
    Job done, soul destroyed.

BillMC

Levis 505?

bowglie

32 waist 34 leg, and over 50 here 😀 I’ve found some ‘normal’ (501 ish) looking jeans from the climbing brand Prana fit really well, as I guess they’re designed around slimmer (& fitter

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

Dont

njee20
    Free Member

Gap jeans are a decent fit. I find most are too tight on my arse/thighs unless like you I get a daft waist size. Not just jeans – many suit trousers aren’t much better.

LoCo
    Free Member

Try being 6’3″ with a 32″ waist, getting worse as thighs get bigger too.

Sizing on stuff is getting silly now too some 32″ are more like 34/36″ 👿

For the older gent, they’d want an elasticated waist banded sweat pant or similar, shirley 😉

ti_pin_man
    Free Member

diesel larkees. good for the wider thigh i find.

Colin-T

I’ve given up on jeans. They don’t look good on me now I’m a grown up of 46. The challenge though is finding casual trousers that aren’t ubiquetous jeans, bloody chinos or daft-looking cargo-pocket monstrosities.

RobHilton
    Free Member

After much searching I found Fat Face jeans fit me well. So I bought 4 pairs.

Found some fetching brown German Police jeans in an Army surplus store in Brighton recently that were in more sizes than the standard high-street offers. Bought 2 pairs 🙂

WillH

Yeah, 6’2″ and 80kg here… if I buy jeans the correct length they assume I’m morbidly obese. I just emigrated to a part of the world where I can wear shorts all year round 🙂

kcal

Had to give up on 501s as they became too tight around the upper legs (cyclist thighs). These are 751s or some such – no button fly, more generous cut (but not with the ar$e hanging out them). No problem. Had to order online as not stocked in any shops though. Levi shop – when I said I wanted a pair 30/30 501s but the thigh fit was wrong, suggested I trade up to 32W as the fit was ‘much the same’. No, don’t understand either..

30/30 here. Quite proud that’s the fit I had when I graduated..

Rubber_Buccaneer

Do you change shape as you get older? At 46 I still appear to be much the same as always. I have noticed the posters at the leisure center offering special classes for the over 50s so maybe that is when the transformation happens.

Sizing on stuff is getting silly now too some 32″ are more like 34/36″

This is true, try before you buy.

RobHilton
    Free Member

I just emigrated to a part of the world where I can wear shorts all year round

Much easier to just become a postman 🙂

scaled
    Free Member

I had a couple of pairs of Diesel 31″ waist/32″ leg jeans that were perfect until I wore them out.

New jeans shopping i found a load that should fit at the waist and couldn’t get them over my thighs let alone my arse!

Rubber_Buccaneer

Did you have them the right way up?

jeff

+1 on the larkees 🙂

From Costco FTW!

DaRC_L

The worst problem I have is my winter laziness, I’ve realised that buying jeans late summer when I’m a racing snake is not good come March when I’m a Boa who’s eaten a deer.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

+1 on the Gap jeans recommendation. Spent years wearing the wrong sized jeans hoiked up with a belt. Gap just seems to fit me ok – bit snug round the thighs and bum but I’ll take that for having a correct fitting waist and length.

edhornby

having laughed at everyone who bought howies jeans, I got some at the sample sale and they’re really nice

[edit] just looked at the standard prices, oof! they’ll be the last pair I buy then…

bearnecessities

Buy some “Bloody chinos” & dress like a man 🙂

jambalaya
    Free Member

52 sporting my Diesel jeans as I type 8)

bearnecessities

This thread is useless just fine without pictures.

Rubber_Buccaneer

Buy some “Bloody chinos” & dress like a man

and a polo shirt (collar up if you are super cool) 🙂

DaRC_L

sporting my Diesel jeans

Yes those are my going out/standing jeans – a bit too tight across the thighs for general/couch surfing duties.
    Gap jeans are perfect for general/couch surfing duties.

bearnecessities

😀

isto
    Free Member

Uniqlo regular fit jeans would fit and are well made for the price – I find they are better quality than the fashion brands e.g. Diesel, Replay etc. and on par with the old school denim manufacturers e.g. Lee, Levis etc. You can also get them in selvedge denim should you so desire. They also have slim fit jeans that have a small % of lycra (1% I think) that stretch to fit if you want to wear a slimmer jean.

Failing that Edwin and Howies do jeans that are designed to be a more relaxed fit so shouldn’t be so tight in the leg.

brassneck

Howies are good for a bit more leg space, but the waists are quite big (currently a 34 is falling off me to the point of actually requiring a belt, when some high street work trousers I get in 36). Last well too.

blisterman1962
    Free Member

Short leg and large thighs here – Wrangler are a good fit. Black only though at my age.

BigButSlimmerBloke
    Free Member

In the States I got a pair of Prison Blues, lovingly hand made by the inmates of Eastern Oregon Correctional Institution (made on the Inside for Life on the Outside)*. Anyway, apart from being made like the Levis of old, they have buttons on the waistband to take a pair of button on braces. job done. Or just don’t wear jeans.
    * they also do a nice line in soap on a slightly fragile rope.
    Available in the UK

Murray

Love the Prison Blues – may try them when my Huits wear out

MoreCashThanDash

Lands End offer a variety of styles and will hem to your desired length. May still not suit you, of course.

prettygreenparrot

Brave Star True Straight.

Or Levi’s 505.

Or Blue Harbour 😐

Maybe you should move to khakis?

Drac

Gap

Diesel

Levis

Armani

Ralph Lauren

All do jeans with wider leg.

CountZero

Uniqlo regular fit, although if you take a 32″ waist you actually have to get a 34″, the 34″ leg is fine though.
    I’ve got three pairs of their Japan Selve-edge denims, so I know whereof I speak, and I take 32″x34″.

CountZero

As an aside, I was having a hunt in the wardrobe for my Uniqlo jeans, which I’ve put away and now can’t find, but I did spot some denims underneath a weekend bag, dug them out, and it was a pair of Howies Timber jeans, still with the label attached to the pocket, obviously never worn! 😳
    Bought in a sale, I think, and just put away, no idea when, possibly 2007/8?
    Anyway, got them on, and they fit perfectly!
    Which is good… 😀

Moses

Pfft, CFH, don’t be so prescriptive.
    We men of a certain age can wear when we like, and bleu de travail or its equivalent is a good option. Better than sludge brown chinos, anyway, which was your recent recommendation.
    I’ve fumbled in enough boxes to know, thanks.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘jeans and the elder gentleman’ is closed to new replies.