Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)
  • Jeans.
  • matthewjb
    Free Member

Most proper jeans brands come in 3 or 4 different cuts. Try Replay or G Star.

Find a shop that has a good range spend a few minutes trying on a range. You should find something that fits.

Or if you’re on a budget try Gap.

weare138
    Free Member

501s. Carhartt. Uniglo.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Uniglo

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

DIESEL KURATT
    KUYUCHI TIM
    LEE COMFORT
    WRANGLER STRAIGHT
    HIUT SELVEDGE (EX HOWIES OWNER MADE IN WALES JEANS)

I KNOW MY JEANS ITS MY JOB 😉

bruneep

HIUT SELVEDGE had to google them but at £230 for a pair of Jeans 😯 😯

lucky if I pay more than £30 for my Georgio (asda) jeans

FROGLEEK
    Free Member

lucky if I pay more than £30 for my Georgio (asda) jeans

Bruneep
    Good jeans can last 10years plus (depending on your waistline) £30 jeans will not..

grahamt1980

Seeing as alpkit stopped the jeanius Jeans, I have found the prana axiom Jean are really good.

wrecker
    Free Member

EX HOWIES OWNER

The one identified a while back as a complete asshat?

tails
    Free Member

Hey frogleek, I any brands you can recommend I normally wear a nudie sharp bengt or grim tim.

Thanks

deepreddave
    Free Member

Good jeans can last 10years plus (depending on your waistline) £30 jeans will not..

I always thought Armani, Paul Smith etc made good jeans and they do last but fashion changes hence is it not only 10yrs if you’re happy looking a bit well old fashioned?

Appreciate I’ve probably just shown my jeans ignorance right there!

MrSmith
    Free Member

they do last but fashion changes hence is it not only 10yrs if you’re happy looking a bit well old fashioned?

Deep indigo mid rise straight cut/tapered jeans are less likely to date than those with logo’s, funny pocket arrangements and the low crutch that looks like you shat yourself.

Edric64
    Free Member

I have never paid 230 quid for any item of clothing and certainly wouldnt for a pair of jeans just to line a designers pocketfor something worth about a tenth of that

njee20
    Free Member

Gap for me with a 30″ waist and reasonable thighs.

Sod paying £230 for jeans. Will they last 5 times longer than Gap etc? Probably, as I’d be afraid to wear them!

shotsaway
    Free Member

Hi tops here too dd, a couple of pairs of g-star, or some nice brown Firetrap leather boots. Diesel, Firetrap, or g star jeans (not all skinny) and some nice very skinny Voi chinos. Worn with a nice slim fit tee, check shirt, or close fitting jumper

Now that Mike Ashley owns the Firetrap brand, you can pick up Firetrap jeans for about £15 in Sport Direct. Mike Ashley also owns the retailer USC, but at the moment the Firetrap prices haven’t reduced there.

patriotpro
    Free Member

You think you have a hard time, spare a thought for this guy, make no wonder he gets angry and rips out of them.

_tom_
    Free Member

I just go with 32″ slim fit and they’re fine. My legs are pretty chunky as well but these still seem to look ok. Straight leg feel too baggy.

flap_jack
    Free Member

501s. Carhartt. Uniglo.

None of these fit over my cyclist thighs. Cannot get jeans to fit at any price. Grrr.

We need a return to Loose Fit. Where are the Happy Mondays when you need them ? 15 years ago easy to get proper fitting jeans.

schrickvr6
    Free Member

I’d put everything I own on Carhartt making a style that fit you.

flap_jack
    Free Member

Nope, can’t get any Carhartts on. Legs generally stick a couple of inches below being fully up. Shame because I like the styles.

drinkmoreport
    Free Member

those of you who wear skinnies, you mean skinnies? or slim fit? skinnies are far too tight to anyone who cycles i’d of thought 😯

curvature
    Free Member

You do get what you pay for to some extent.

I was looking for some cheap outdoor gear in one of those big awful chain store the other day and looked at the £20 firetrap jeans that they had. They were not worth £10. Really cheap thin material.

Last year I bought some Henry Lloyd jeans that were £85 and to be honest wished I had paid the extra tenner for the Diesel ones that I tried on. The Henry Lloyd jeans have a nice cut and feel but have faded a lot quicker than I would have liked but tbh have been what a lot this year as I have been working from home since June.

The Diesel jeans that I am wearing today are superb and worth the extra cash.

MrSmith
    Free Member

I have never paid 230 quid for any item of clothing and certainly wouldnt for a pair of jeans just to line a designers pocketfor something worth about a tenth of that

Then pay a little less and line the pockets of these capitalist pigs with their sweatshops
    http://www.roydenim.com/
    http://andewhall.bigcartel.com/

Keva
    Free Member

I just walked into Debenhams and picked up a pair of Red Herring 30/30s which fit perfectly. £27.50. bargain. Dunno why anyone would want to wear skinnies, they look stupid. I remember them back around 1982-83 they looked cool then but there again I was about 13.

those of you who wear skinnies, you mean skinnies? or slim fit? skinnies are far too tight to anyone who cycles i’d of thought 

Skinny fit rather than skin tight

CountZero

Deep indigo mid rise straight cut/tapered jeans are less likely to date than those with logo’s, funny pocket arrangements and the low crutch that looks like you shat yourself.

That’s why I favour Uniqlo selvedge Japan Denim. Good cut, regular fit, and quality denim. Not always easy getting the correct size, supplies are limited, and I have to go for a 34×34 instead of 32×34, but at £70, for a heavy selvedge, they’re pretty cheap. The Uniqlo jeans have no logos or funny stitching, they’re completely anonymous dark indigo denim.
    http://shop.uniqlo.com/uk/goods/073554

MrSmith
    Free Member

I wouldn’t call uniqlo selvage ‘heavy’ it’s pretty thin compared to the 15oz Edwin’s or 13oz Albam’s. Still better than most high st denim though.

shotsaway
    Free Member

Dunno why anyone would want to wear skinnies, they look stupid. I remember them back around 1982-83 they looked cool then but there again I was about 13.

Didn’t we call them drainpipes back in the 80’s?

tallie
    Free Member

Wiggle are doing Howies jeans at 25% off at the moment if anyone’s interested…

CountZero

I’m pretty sure the selvedge Japan Denim Uniqlo jeans are 13oz; I have some cheaper ones they did, about £40-ish, which are thinner, but the more expensive pair I have are at least as heavy as a pair of 501’s.

DezB
    Free Member

hey, thanks for the Debenhams tip, keva.
    Buy one get one half price at the moment – 2 pairs cost me £35! (and yes,they are “designer labels” if that makes any difference to the morons who pay stupid money to get the right label!)
    £230! farking mugs.

jekkyl

George at Asda? they do jeans for £4!!

hmanchester
    Free Member

The £4 Asda ones are shocking, but then I’m sure that post was tongue in cheek!

However, the ones that have for £14 aren’t bad at all. They seem a similar quality to your standard high street (Next, River Island, etc) ones and they come with an ok fabric belt.

The cut doesn’t fit me though unfortunately. They are very straight up and down.

Pray tell DezB – what are your “designer labels for £35”? Not doubting you, as I’ve bought Diesel jeans for less than that from TK Maxx, just curious as to what folk class as designer.

As for George @ Asda – go ahead if you want to look like your smelly old uncle – you know, the really embarrassing one.

DezB
    Free Member

Well, they could’ve been any of these (that I remember) – Fred Perry, Duffer of St George, Jasper Conran, Ben Sherman, Levis, Red Herring, Jeff Banks ; they also had Wrangler and Lee rather cheaper and er, Maine. All were in the sale at about the same prices.
    what folk class as desinger, may well be those £230 mugs makes that the bloke posted earlier, but they are for people who kid themselves they are getting something “better” for their (stupid) money.

househusband

Could someone quantify what it so special about selvedge denim..?

From wearing jeans pretty much all the time when not at work I now wear them from time to time, having been vastly disappointed by some 501’s I bought a year or two ago. Do have some Carhartt jeans that I am happy with.

Is selvedge a fashion thing?!

martinxyz
    Free Member

Have a look at Levis 505’s (vintage). Cone Mills selvedge and from the thighs down.. plenty roomy. Not £20.. and not £300 either.

Moses

Selvedge denim: made on obsolescent looms with limited fabric width. That’s all. Nothing special.

CountZero

Selvedge denim is generally heavier weight, and the looms can only cope with a certain width of cloth, they were disposed of when denim got really popular, and the manufacturers needed to get more material usage out of a given width of cloth, the old looms can do enough for one pair across the width, which is why it tends to be more expensive, and it’s more labour intensive. Selvedge denim is more often dyed using natural indigo dye, whereas mass-produced denim uses chemical dye. Indigo denim has a very distinct odour, slightly musty, and it fades better as well.

Selvedge denim

Selvedge on a pair of jeans
    Selvedge denim (alternative spelling: selvage denim) is a type of denim which forms a clean natural edge that does not unravel.[citation needed] It is commonly presented in the unwashed or raw state. Typically, the selvedge edges will be located along the out-seam of the trousers, making it visible when cuffs are worn.[citation needed]
    The word “selvedge” comes from the phrase “self-edge”, the natural edge of a roll of fabric.[citation needed] As applied to denim, it means that which is made on old-style shuttle looms. These looms weave fabric with one continuous cross thread (the weft) that is passed back and forth all the way down the length of the bolt. As the weft loops back into the edge of the denim it creates this “self-edge” or selvedge. Selvedge is desirable because the edge cannot fray like denim made on a projectile loom that has separate wefts, which leave an open edge that must be stitched.[citation needed] This advantage is only realized on one edge of the fabric, however, as the fabric has to be cut to shape and anywhere it is cut the self-edge is lost.
    Shuttle looms weave a narrower piece of fabric, and thus a longer piece of fabric is required to make a pair of jeans (approximately 3 yards).[citation needed] To maximize yield, traditional jean makers use the fabric all the way to the selvedge edge.[citation needed] When the cuff is turned up, the two selvedge edges (where the denim is sewn together) can be seen. The selvedge edge is usually woven with a coloured stripe: green, white, brown, yellow, and (most commonly) red.[citation needed] Fabric mills used these colours to differentiate between fabrics.[citation needed] Contrary to popular belief, the stripe is not sewn in finishing the product, but woven into the fabric itself.[citation needed]
    Most selvedge jeans today are dyed with synthetic indigo, but natural indigo dye is available in some denim labels.[citation needed] Though they are supposed to have the same chemical make-up, there are more impurities in the natural indigo dye.[citation needed] Loop dying machines feed a rope of cotton yarn through vats of indigo dye and then back out. The dye is allowed to oxidize before the next dip. Multiple dips create a dark indigo blue.[citation needed]
    In response to increased demand for jeans in the 1950s, American denim manufacturers replaced the old shuttle style looms with modern projectile looms. The new looms produced fabric faster and wider (60 inches or wider).[citation needed] Synthetic dying techniques along with post-dye treatments were introduced to control shrink and twist.[citation needed]

househusband

Well, decided to treat myself… was a wee bit tempted by the Hiut jeans, being made in Wales and all, but couldn’t justify the £130. A few folk on this thread suggested Edwin so I took a look at them online and, lo and behold, they had some on sale.

Bearing in mind that I’ve given up on Levi jeans due to their inconsistency in sizing (two pairs of 501’s in the same size, different colours but poles apart in fit) I was a bit unsure but went for my normal size in their ED-49 selvedge, €84 incl. delivery from Germany.

They arrived today and I’m wearing them now; the fit is perfect and they feel lovely… just that bit special. No doubt there’s an element of self-justification but I am happy with what I paid for them.

trail_rat
    Free Member

No washing them now hh 🙂

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 83 total)

The topic ‘Jeans.’ is closed to new replies.